Emotive Headline Manx Independent

As sorry I am for the situation this family find themselves in they are economic immigrants and in my opinion should return to their home country if they are not satisfied with the help offered under the rules and laws of this country.

I have come across this and similar situations when working with the Migrant Workers in contract cleaning....Although I was often surprised as to the Benefits some of them did get ie Polish girl and husband who got Child Benefit and Maternity whatever it is called and of course JSA but that is contribution based....I was not surprised that they could not get a Corpy/Commissioners House no more than could I!

The essential point is that there is no such thing as being Manx simply by being born in the Island. Jesus was allegedly born in a stable but that did not make him a horse....There is no Manx citizenship....Most "Manx" are British citizens by virtue of birth in the Isle of Man as British territory...

I suggest that as the boy's parents are Polish then the boy is also Polish. I think that I am right in saying that his status depends on that of his parents??? I question? Anyone got the straight scoop on this? I think I am right in saying that you can be born in Noble's and register the birth in Douglas but that does not make you Manx/British...I question?

Certainly this was the case with a pair of South African residents a while back...although they did not have EU status of course.

It appears that whilst they have the EU right to live on the Island the couple still have yet to qualify as "Isle of Man Workers" ie they need work permits not having completed five years and after that must clock up ten years for public housing. Well the Island has to draw the line somewhere! They cannot change the rules just for them or there would be a flood!

The Island advises all and sundry that full Benefits are not usually paid to non-Isle of Man Workers and the economy could not really afford an open house and a free for all...

Personally I am surprised that they get even the small help that they apparently receive. I have known loads of non-Isle of Man Workers who have been offered nothing more than the fare back home.

Has the island got a Reciprocal Agreement with Poland? It has one with the Philippines being covered by one in which it is included under the UK for welfare and Benefits purposes ......and again I am suprised at some of the Benefits available to the workers from the Philippines resident in the Isle of Man...

When I left the Island and returned to where I came from in the UK I briefly went on Job Seekers but because I had been on the Isle of Man so long they sent someone to interview me at home and I had to pass "An Habitual Residence Test"...and I am British born in my own town where I went to school and even I had to jump through the hoops...so the Island is not wrong!

A persons nationality is defined by the persons country of birth, which is clearly stated on the birth certificate.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite simply, under Manx law the needs of the child come first - and once in the Isle of Man the law must apply equally to everyone. To suggest other than that is frankly dreadful.   In the case of

The reds? Sweet Jesus, did a portal into the 50's open up on this thread, or at least a cheap parody of the 50's?

Most of us wouldn't move to another place and expect to have a baby with Down's Syndrome & Luekemia. We accepted these people to come and do jobs we didn't want to and then when desperate situatio

Posted Images

Most of us wouldn't move to another place and expect to get things we were clearly not entitled to.

Most of us wouldn't move to another place and expect to have a baby with Down's Syndrome & Luekemia. We accepted these people to come and do jobs we didn't want to and then when desperate situations arise we're not bothered.

• Like 3
Most of us wouldn't move to another place and expect to get things we were clearly not entitled to.
Most of us wouldn't move to another place and expect to have a baby with Down's Syndrome & Luekemia. We accepted these people to come and do jobs we didn't want to and then when desperate situations arise we're not bothered.
I agree with you Declan. And to add, if you moved to another place you would not expect things you were aware you were not entitled to. These parents do think they should be entitled. That is the point here.

UK Border Agency

http://www.ukba.home...fyingterritory/

The are couple have lived in the Isle of Man for slightly less than five years so it look like these are the applicable rules:

If you were born in the UK between on or after 30 April 2006 to parents who were EEA citizens, you are not a British citizen unless one of your parents had permanent residence status before the date of your birth. However, you may be able to register as a British citizen if one of your parents later gets indefinite leave to remain

The rules are the same in the Isle of Man as in the UK. So, providing the one of the parents gets indefinite leave to remain then the child will be British.

Whatever the rules are this child is in need and the Government is, quite rightly, required to help out.

• Like 1
Whatever the rules are this child is in need and the Government is, quite rightly, required to help out.

I agree 100%. They paid national insurance while working here, the Island now wants nothing to do with them.

Shame.

the Island now wants nothing to do with them.

I realise that you cannot resist having a dig at the Island, but that isn't quite accurate now is it?

They are not perhaps entitled to the full range of benefits, which I think is not necessarily right, by the way. However, that is different to wanting 'nothing to do with them'.

These poor people have made this Island home for the last 5 years and have chosen to raise their newly born child here. I bet they work bloody hard and put more into society than most of the local shysters claiming to be long-term sick.

I back their application 100% and wish them every success.

• Like 1

Has the island got a Reciprocal Agreement with Poland? It has one with the Philippines being covered by one in which it is included under the UK for welfare and Benefits purposes ......and again I am suprised at some of the Benefits available to the workers from the Philippines resident in the Isle of Man...

It does not need to have one as they are EU Citizens and so entitled to healthcare.

The issue really isn't government policy here its housing lists and a lack of local authority housing. The reason why there a lack of local authority housing is that the ones that are occupying housing despite owning 3 cars and going on holiday twice a year are hanging on to them for grim life and no means test exists to kick them out to get a more needy (in this case maybe desperate) candidate in. For everyone in this situation there's a fat lazy Manx chav with a brand new Imprezza parked outside his house paying piss all when they can well afford to rent or buy privately. That is more likely the reason for the 10 qualification rule for housing.

Edited by hboy
  • Like 2

So nice to see that this thread has not degenerated into an Immigrant bashing session.

As above, Declan and LDV, we have accepted these people here to work, without them, our economy would be worse off, they should be treated equally.

We make many exceptions in our lives as individuals and employers to help each other out, this should be one of those occasions.

As the title says it is an EMOTIVE subject.I think most of the posters have not read the full article as the family has received the best of medical care and treatment here and in Liverpool courtesy of the IoM Government plus flights to Liverpool for visits.

• Like 1

As sorry I am for the situation this family find themselves in they are economic immigrants and in my opinion should return to their home country if they are not satisfied with the help offered under the rules and laws of this country.

But wasn't the child born here? I think they are entitled to comment and seek redress in the same manner as anyone else who resides on this beautiful Island

I agree, and like EVERYONE ELSE who is a comeover to this beautiful island, they should wait 10 yrs to be on the housing list. It's sad about their son, but this doesn't give them an automatic pass to get to the top of the housing list. If you do it for them, you'd have to do it for everyone else. Also, what exactly are the parents doing to help their son financially? Do they work?

P.S. The article says they can't get EXTRA help from the IOM Govt. It does not say they're not getting HELP. We live in the real world with budgets and finite resources.

Edited by Dreidel
  • Like 2