Emotive Headline Manx Independent

Whilst it is very sad the problems that the little boy has, the parents must have known the 10 year requirement to join the housing list so why did they start a family when they did. They must have realised that the flat would not have been suitable for a family in the same way that they would have known that on his wages a larger property was not possible.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite simply, under Manx law the needs of the child come first - and once in the Isle of Man the law must apply equally to everyone. To suggest other than that is frankly dreadful.   In the case of

The reds? Sweet Jesus, did a portal into the 50's open up on this thread, or at least a cheap parody of the 50's?

Most of us wouldn't move to another place and expect to have a baby with Down's Syndrome & Luekemia. We accepted these people to come and do jobs we didn't want to and then when desperate situatio

Posted Images

Tag their countrymen along as well, and it'll also do us the world of good. I wonder that anyone still lives in Poland; certainly can't be an accomodation shortage there.

I shouldn't be too harsh on them really; the real fireworks will go off when the Turks arrive - endless millions of them, labour so cheap they make the Poles seem expensive. Like, I suspect, many ex-servicemen, I remember the appalling effect they had on German society in the 1970s. Happy days.

Tag their countrymen along as well, and it'll also do us the world of good. I wonder that anyone still lives in Poland; certainly can't be an accomodation shortage there.

I shouldn't be too harsh on them really; the real fireworks will go off when the Turks arrive - endless millions of them, labour so cheap they make the Poles seem expensive. Like, I suspect, many ex-servicemen, I remember the appalling effect they had on German society in the 1970s. Happy days.

You really know nothing about Turkey, do you? Please crawl back into the hole you came from.

• Like 1

Has the island got a Reciprocal Agreement with Poland? It has one with the Philippines being covered by one in which it is included under the UK for welfare and Benefits purposes ......and again I am suprised at some of the Benefits available to the workers from the Philippines resident in the Isle of Man...

It does not need to have one as they are EU Citizens and so entitled to healthcare.

The issue really isn't government policy here its housing lists and a lack of local authority housing. The reason why there a lack of local authority housing is that the ones that are occupying housing despite owning 3 cars and going on holiday twice a year are hanging on to them for grim life and no means test exists to kick them out to get a more needy (in this case maybe desperate) candidate in. For everyone in this situation there's a fat lazy Manx chav with a brand new Imprezza parked outside his house paying piss all when they can well afford to rent or buy privately. That is more likely the reason for the 10 qualification rule for housing.

I rarely agree with you hboy but on this one I do, these people are in need of help and more than likely are more worthy than a truck load of locals I know of, sort the public housing situation out, make it fair and just so that when situations arise like this then the people can be catered for, it's a piece of piss to sort out really, just take someone with a pair to do it.

Surely to Christ there are enough "wealthy people" who live here so they could club together and be really good people and buy the family a small home, it could be done as a tax write off, so I appeal to all wealthy island residents to be generous and carry out my suggestion, in fact pay for a house to be built and I'll carry out the electrical installation for free, I don't have a lot of money and time is the most precious thing to me apart from my family so I'll give my time.

I agree with Albert,just look at the state of the UK now with both Labour and Tory/Liberal letting hundreds of thousands of immigrants in from anywhere,ok the UK is part of the EU,so they have to accomodate the East Europeans as they too are full members of the EU,the Isle of Man is NOT,so we have no obligation to allow them in,with this being a small Island,if this was allowed to go on without any checks,it would swamp us.

There is not enough work for our own people,old or young,they have over 1.3million young people alone in the UK without work,how many have we got here?,no it's a sorry state,but if we went to Poland or any other EU country apart from the UK,we couldn't stay there and work,or get free hospital treatment,as our passports clearly state.

You have to let them in if they have the right to enter and live in the UK and that applies to non-EU nationals. The difference is that the IOM is entitled to demand a Work Permit. The Island does have legislation controlling the occupation of residential property but it has never been activated/invoked and in any case would require the "natives" even if Manx born and bred to register for permission to reside in property in their own Island should they move. (Not popular!)

Has the island got a Reciprocal Agreement with Poland? It has one with the Philippines being covered by one in which it is included under the UK for welfare and Benefits purposes ......and again I am suprised at some of the Benefits available to the workers from the Philippines resident in the Isle of Man...

It does not need to have one as they are EU Citizens and so entitled to healthcare.

The issue really isn't government policy here its housing lists and a lack of local authority housing. The reason why there a lack of local authority housing is that the ones that are occupying housing despite owning 3 cars and going on holiday twice a year are hanging on to them for grim life and no means test exists to kick them out to get a more needy (in this case maybe desperate) candidate in. For everyone in this situation there's a fat lazy Manx chav with a brand new Imprezza parked outside his house paying piss all when they can well afford to rent or buy privately. That is more likely the reason for the 10 qualification rule for housing.

I was not referring to Healthcare but to a reciprocal agreement on such as Social Security and Benefits as the Island has via the UK with the Republic of the Philippines (Nice blue cover with a globe on it!)

Ah, nothing like some foreigners in trouble to bring the reds scuttling out, And no, I don't have a problem with Poles per se, though any mention of the war is on decidedly dodgy ground as a study of the conflict in the east can bring to light. It's the local element that dump on their own that annoy me; every nation has them, and we're no exception.

If I worked for about £50-60 per week and was told I could go somewhere where I could earn five or six times that, even doing a crap job, and that I'd be given a flat or house plus sundry other benefits unknown in my own country, whilst ably and vocally supported by some of the local population who are more than happy to throw their own kind away, I'd have gone there long, long ago. As would most of you. So no, I don't blame them one iota. However, bleating to the local media really takes the biscuit.

Ah, nothing like some foreigners in trouble to bring the reds scuttling out

The reds? Sweet Jesus, did a portal into the 50's open up on this thread, or at least a cheap parody of the 50's?

• Like 3

A persons nationality is defined by the persons country of birth, which is clearly stated on the birth certificate.

Not really. Whether or not a newborn is a citizen of the country depends on the laws of that country.

For a trivial example of newborns that are likely never citizens of the country where they are born when their parents are not citizens of that country is in the case of diplomatic personnel -- their babies are citizens of their country, not the country of birth.

At 65p a go for the indy, iom newspapers could donate a nice sum to help this family out , now that WOULD be a nice gesture and make a headline for them to be proud of .!

I read the story today in the Co-op library !

• Like 1
Whatever the rules are this child is in need and the Government is, quite rightly, required to help out.

I agree 100%. They paid national insurance while working here, the Island now wants nothing to do with them.

Shame.

Many of us - me included - worked on the Island and paid National Insurance and were told "You get nothing"...(other than the reciprocal arrangements)...It was known and accepted...Been that way for decades and well known...Accept it...

Remarkable. We work hard to prove that the BeeGees were Manx because they were born here, but work equally hard to distance ourselves from this situation. If we are a caring, inclusive society then isn't it right to means test those in social housing, charge the rent according to their income and use the surplus to house family's such as this? Also is it not right for there to be a discretion based on what is humane? I can't see that being humane in this case will open any flood gates.

As for the 'you get nothing' post above - what exactly didn't you get? What exactly were you expecting to get?

Remember the recent case of the lass in public housing whose father commited suicide; she became pregnant and after the baby was born was about to be evicted? If ever there was a case for humane treatment this was it. Yet it took several pleadings and a re-examination of the terms on which her father had occupied the property to allow her and her baby to stay.

There are those in council houses running businesses, enjoying obvious material advantage at a very cheap rent and allowing this denies really needy people a chance of reasonable quality, affordable housing. It does make you wonder if we really do have a caring and inclusive society.

• Like 2