Emotive Headline Manx Independent

A very emotive and difficult subject on which to consider an unbiased view. However the humanitarian part of me would reason that we all stand by and watch governments, particularly our last lot piss millions away to little benefit for anyone !

In the grand scheme of things would it hurt to make the rules flexible a little to help this one family ? I suspect not. (They certainly did not ask to have a child with such needs !)

We seem able to make up any rules we wish when it involves big money and politicians on our island !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite simply, under Manx law the needs of the child come first - and once in the Isle of Man the law must apply equally to everyone. To suggest other than that is frankly dreadful.   In the case of

The reds? Sweet Jesus, did a portal into the 50's open up on this thread, or at least a cheap parody of the 50's?

Most of us wouldn't move to another place and expect to have a baby with Down's Syndrome & Luekemia. We accepted these people to come and do jobs we didn't want to and then when desperate situatio

Posted Images

"....our last lot piss millions away to little benefit for anyone "

Oh don't worry, there were plenty of people benefitted a lot from those £100millions.

But certainly the Isle of Man Government seem able to make up any rules they wish when it comes to big money. eg MEA loans, Mount Murray.

• Like 1

If you take time to read and fully understand this story the child is receiving all the treatment he requires on the NHS for free this includes travel assistance when required to the UK.

1] The problem seems to be the size of the couples rented apartment.

2] The amount of DHSS payment they receive £50 week.

3] They don’t have friends don't get out much or have holidays.

4] They refuse to seek support from Rebecca House.

Answer

1] Ask your landlord if he has any larger apartments, despite what we all think about landlords he must have a heart?

2] Not bad £200 month tax free.

3] Correct me if I am wrong there are numerous Polish people living and working here on the Island.

4] Do not decline any offer of help.

Edited by Manx 3 Legs

Quite simply, under Manx law the needs of the child come first - and once in the Isle of Man the law must apply equally to everyone. To suggest other than that is frankly dreadful.

In the case of a child with needs the applicable legislation is the Children and Young Persons Act 2001 which, in the case of a child in need, says:

http://isleofmanchil...dfs/vol_b_2.pdf

1 The Department must “safeguard and promote the welfare” of children who are:

“suffering, or likely to suffer, significant harm, “in need”. The Act allows it to provide a range of services either directly or by arrangement with other providers in order to do that.

2 The guiding principles for the provision of these services are:

a. partnership with parents,

b. consultation with children,

c. joint planning and agreement.

3 Whether the child(ren) continue to live in the family home or in accommodation by voluntary arrangement, the services are intended to assist and support the parent’s authority and control. The same thinking should apply when a child is in care of the Department, provided that it does not jeopardise his or her welfare.

4 In either case there is a need to make plans for children in partnership with those who are important in the their life and the children themselves, subject to their understanding. And they need to be involved in planning reviews.

I hope, for the child's sake, that the Department steps in and fulfills it's duties.

• Like 4

Quite simply, under Manx law the needs of the child come first - and once in the Isle of Man the law must apply equally to everyone. To suggest other than that is frankly dreadful.

You're absolutely right, and raise a very important point. The fact of the matter is that this child is a part of our community as much as anyone else is and deserves as much help and compassion as anyone else would; to deny him that on the wholly irrelevant fact of where his parents happen to be from is nothing short of despicable, hateful lunacy. Also, although I'd argue his case where ever he was born, he was born on the Island; some wont like it, but he is Manx.

Similarly dubious is that idea that the fact his parents didn't wait ten years before starting a family holds any relevance. No, they didn't wait ten years, but that does not mean that their child, an individual who had no say in where or when they were born, should be denied the help and living conditions he needs. To argue otherwise is, even unintentionally, to place the importance of punishing the parents and upholding the letter (rather than the spirit) of the law over that of caring for a child with a serious medical condition, which is abhorrent in every possible way.

I don't think the disadvantaging the locals argument holds much water either, at least not from a moral point of view. Localism be damned: the rules are there to benefit and protect society and if ours is a society which would happily deny help to an innocent child born here on the basis of where his or her parents came from and when they did so, then it's not a society even remotely worth standing up for.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 3
. . . if ours is a society which would happily deny help to an innocent child born here on the basis of where his or her parents came from and when they did so, then it's not a society even remotely worth standing up for.

In a nutshell.

But why have some people moved from a 'love thy neighbour' attitude to a 'beggar they neighbour' attitude? It's incredibly selfish to suggest that, because of a technical position on immigration, a child born in the Isle of Man should be treated differently.

To spin the problem round to a different perspective consider the following:

The Children and Young Persons Act 2001 also covers child abuse. Would the people who don't want to help this child in need, because it's parents are Polish, take the same attitude towards child abuse? I.e. would these people say 'ignore an abused child because it's parents weren't born in the Isle of Man?'

• Like 1

You're absolutely right, and raise a very important point. The fact of the matter is that this child is a part of our community as much as anyone else is and deserves as much help and compassion as anyone else would; to deny him that on the wholly irrelevant fact of where his parents happen to be from is nothing short of despicable, hateful lunacy. Also, although I'd argue his case where ever he was born, he was born on the Island; some wont like it, but he is Manx.

Similarly dubious is that idea that the fact his parents didn't wait ten years before starting a family holds any relevance. No, they didn't wait ten years, but that does not mean that their child, an individual who had no say in where or when they were born, should be denied the help and living conditions he needs. To argue otherwise is, even unintentionally, to place the importance of punishing the parents and upholding the letter (rather than the spirit) of the law over that of caring for a child with a serious medical condition, which is abhorrent in every possible way.

I don't think the disadvantaging the locals argument holds much water either, at least not from a moral point of view. Localism be damned: the rules are there to benefit and protect society and if ours is a society which would happily deny help to an innocent child born here on the basis of where his or her parents came from and when they did so, then it's not a society even remotely worth standing up for.

Well put

I can add little to that other than to say that some of the comments made make me ashamed to be manx and indeed ashamed to be a member of the same species.

Edited by wheels