Emotive Headline Manx Independent

mal48

Waaaaaaaaaaaaah! EORH, what right do you have to go on about migrants, neets, or anything else for that matter? Albert, for the love of goodness, can't you see that people are people? Everyone is born with no clothes on and it should not make any difference where the person was born, it is not the parents fault that their child is downs and if the child was born here....What is worse, someone who comes here and takes a menial job and works for 20 odd years but claims for a downs child or someone who comes here takes a government high flyer job, works for 5 minutes and is rewarded a big fat pension? Them pesky foreigners coming over here, doing the jobs no one else wants to do, paying tax and NI, god damn them.....really, you lot are something else.

BTW I only got half way down the first page before my head exploded.

Edit : Ahhhh pages 3 & 4 are a vast improvement :) Well done posters x

Edited by thebees

It is sad to see the 'debate' within this topic being used to mask discrimination... which in its proper name, is racism. Many of the comments being made on iomtoday are awful.

In my experience, there is an awful lots of racism on this Island and it is terribly disappointing. Most of it is quietly swept under the carpet - I know of one such case at the moment.

• Like 1

Nothing is the child's fault and anyhoo as far as I'm concerned he's MANX.

Parents may need 10 years to be eligible, but he is Manx. Sounds like too grey an area of the law to me.

The Children's Act is a good point made above.

We accepted these people onto our Island, gave them a work permit... the conditions their son has is the last thing they'd have wanted. Prosperous and caring society.... my arse?

Bottom line is, its time for a serious look at social housing. The cliche of the jag on the drive might make some roll their eyes but the system is well and truly broken.

Come on Mr Robershaw, you've talked to talk outside of CoMin, walk he walk now you're inside.

What happens to the Children in Need money the Island raises?

Edited by bishbashbosh
  • Like 1

The journalist must be really patting herself on the back over this article. Looking at the comments on Iomonline she has managed to deliver one of the most objectionable, hateful, and depressing online debates in recent history - which was no doubt her intention from the hideous self righteous jingoistic tone of what was written. In all other respects the care offered to this child seems to be top notch and therefore all this really seems to be about is council house waiting times and yet with the accusatory writing style she adopted she has managed to stir up a lovely self serving and spiteful cauldron of nastiness, nationalism and racism. She should be writing for the Daily Mail!

spiteful cauldron of nastiness, nationalism and racism.

Indeed

It may remind those with longer memories than goldfish of the persecution of gays until very recently

she has managed to deliver one of the most objectionable, hateful, and depressing online debates in recent history

Perhaps some of the comments on the affair have also given an indication of something else that needs looking at

Edited by wheels

spiteful cauldron of nastiness, nationalism and racism.

Indeed

Perhaps the affair has given an indication of something else that needs looking at.

It may remind those with longer memories than goldfish of the persecution of gays until very recently

But perhaps when some complete fuckwit writes saying that Manx people should be "ashamed" by a situation that actually when you read through the paper there is not that much to feel nationally "ashamed" about then those are the sort of ill informed nasty responses your going to get. The child seems to have had excellent care and support from the NHS, DHSS and local charities and so all this was ever designed to do is try to bump two deserving people up the housing queue which I'm sure is full of lots of equally deserving people who are trapped in awful conditions because they can't get a council house.

To me the whole thing is a massive own goal but there you go she tried to go straight for the jugular and claim that this was some sort of national scandal that Manx people should be collectively ashamed and horrified about when it isn't. When you accuse a whole nation of being uncaring then your going to stir up a lot of peoples emotions. Therefore the piece was really piss poor in my opinion and those are the sort of replies you're going to get when you resort to that style of reporting. Its a shame that the parents have to read a lot of what was posted but IOM Newspapers should take full responsibility for how they wrote that piece - they even now have a poll on the site where you can vote on what you think that's also encouraging racist responses. F**king clowns !

Edited by hboy

I do agree with what your saying

In hindsight it might have been better reported in a less 'emotive' way

But it could be argued that it might not have forced a review I suppose

But the disturbing result for me is the racist drivel in some of the comments

No matter what evoked them, I'm sure we'd both agree that there are some very unsettling ones

Edited by wheels

The journalist must be really patting herself on the back over this article. Looking at the comments on Iomonline she has managed to deliver one of the most objectionable, hateful, and depressing online debates in recent history - which was no doubt her intention from the hideous self righteous jingoistic tone of what was written. In all other respects the care offered to this child seems to be top notch and therefore all this really seems to be about is council house waiting times and yet with the accusatory writing style she adopted she has managed to stir up a lovely self serving and spiteful cauldron of nastiness, nationalism and racism. She should be writing for the Daily Mail!

Or maybe she was appauled and wanted to help get something done. hmmm, I wonder.

People on here do make me chuckle AND roll my eyes sometimes.

Maybe her job is to write stories which stir up emotional response? Maybe the intention is to create a debate which will get everyone talking, and more specifically talking about 'that story in the Indy', which may lead to more sales. Maybe there is nothing sinister, other than a reporter being given a story about a family in need, and writing an emotive story which makes her story, and her newspaper, the talking point of the week.

On the other hand, maybe she genuinely wanted to raise awareness in a bid to help, but is not from the Island and didn't realise the appalingly levels of racism that still exist.

That said, can anyone answer my earlier question - is this famiyl getting less support because the parents are not Manx born!

It is sad to see the 'debate' within this topic being used to mask discrimination... which in its proper name, is racism.

I for one am the same race as them. So don't bleat about racism please.

This is about priorities, economics, rules and jumping lists. There are numerous local families here in exceptionally difficult circumstances not featuring in this particular headline. Bear that in mind too please. There is no bottomless pot of money anymore - and some people need to get into their skulls the depth of the financial mire we are about to face on this island. That means firmer prioritisation. Put all these people in difficult circumstances together, and do you really want a newspaper making our decisions?

There are very capable charities here that could help support this particular family, that are outside of the current rules for taxpayer support. Isn't that a major role of a charity? Where are they in terms of better housing?

Change the rules, and one day you might well be complaining about someone in your own family in need that gets moved down the list. There again, rules are there to be assessed periodically. Maybe this will lead to a rule change change in terms of prioritisation. There again, with budget constraints on the way, maybe a press driven rule change might just lead to us making a rod for our own backs.

However, given the way IOM government has reacted to press reports before, my money is on them being given a house fairly soon. Perhaps we can recoup the money from Chris Robertshaw's Integrated Tram System.

Hey it's only money. Someone else can do without.

As I understand it, this family are receiving exactly the same level of support that any parents could expect in their situation.

If this is correct, it is still a valid story, and headline. Any situation where a child in desperate need isn't getting everything necessary should make us feel ashamed. Sadly, the fact of life is we can only afford what we can afford, which means the level of care has to be capped somewhere - that is a fact, but doesn't make it any less of a shame.

The nationality issue is a red herring and whoever brought it into the debate is in the wrong - if the newspaper stated they were getting less support because of the nationality of the parents, they are in the wrong. However, if that is not stated in the article, then this still stands up as a story and headline.

Whilst acknowledging we only have so much money to spend, does no one else feel ashamed a child's needs are not being fully met?