Is Permission Required To Photograph?

Freya Q

I was at Vicarage Close (Ballabeg) today taking pictures of the houses when an oldish man approached me and asked if I have permission to photograph.

He was very polite but very assertive that I needed permission and he asked me to leave.

I didnt want to argue with him so I did as he said.

Ive been photographing the estates, ever so slowly, as part of my personal project on Manx Public Sector Housing. This is coming together rather nicely so Im a bit disappointed to come across a hold up.

I do respect people's privacy and have never taken pictures of actual people.

So my question is, do I really need permission to photograph the houses ?

I was at Vicarage Close (Ballabeg) today taking pictures of the houses when an oldish man approached me and asked if I have permission to photograph.

He was very polite but very assertive that I needed permission and he asked me to leave.

I didnt want to argue with him so I did as he said.

Ive been photographing the estates, ever so slowly, as part of my personal project on Manx Public Sector Housing. This is coming together rather nicely so Im a bit disappointed to come across a hold up.

I do respect people's privacy and have never taken pictures of actual people.

So my question is, do I really need permission to photograph the houses ?

Permission is not required to photograph in a public place, if you are on private property I think you should ask permission although I believe that there are no trespass laws on the IOM.

Did Google street view ask permission when they photographed the IoM ? Although I believe you can ask to have your property removed from street view. I think it could be a case of what is she doing and for who, probably afraid it was someone from the landlord over the state of the gardens or such like.