Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Last Ten

Sunrise Over Peel

MoonLightingDiscrepancy1.jpg

This clearly shows the shadows are fake................................ opps wrong thread. Where is Pauld these days anyway?

I notice one earlier comment was that it looks HDR, and John Bennett does do a lot of HDR pics (often of Peel) so it's likely been tinkered with quite a bit in processing but I don't imagine the light source would have been changed at all.

I use an app on my phone for telling me where the sun is going to be relative to any location I'll be in at a given time and it's a total boon for planning photos, and it shows the following (yellow for sunrise and blue for sunset). I just set this for 20 June as it's roundabout the longest day (ish?):

Close up - the position the photo appears to have been taken from:

photo-30.png

Then a bit more zoomed out confirming the line roughly halfway between the breakwaters, as the light source is in the photo:

photo-31.png

Now much further out showing the land in the way:

photo-32.png

So the argument that the sun can be seen coming up from the sea from Peel would be wrong, but then that would presumably be akin to someone claiming that in a landlocked location you could never witness a sunrise. That would be absurd to me since the sunrise should surely be considered as the point at which the sun is first visible from your location, or something more along those lines rather than stating categorically that it MUST be over a horizon and not a skyline?

Anyway, the important bit is that it cannot be a sunset because of where the light source clearly is (directly ahead in the photo). It's very apparent that the light to the left/west is much weaker and the source of light is straight ahead, and the sun cannot set there. It does however rise at that location as seen in the screenshots posted above. From the way the clouds are lit, I would say the sun is possibly not actually high enough to be visible yet, but is above the unseen horizon, although looking closer there is cloud just above the land in the centre of the pic, where it has a slightly brighter bit just above, possibly indicating the sun is behind that cloud. This would be reasonable since it would only take minutes to reach that height from first appearance above the horizon and still be more or less the same angle relative to Peel.

If that makes sense.

There may be a technicality about whether it's considered a 'sunrise' with the sun not being directly visible, but to all intents and purposes, yes, it is a sunrise photo.

Edited by Cret

On an entirely different note - wish I'd known about that competition as I'd have entered this one I took of the castle earlier this year, just out of curiosity since it had some positive feedback from a few people (after a little bit of tidying on it at least):

PeelCastle09082011-1BW.jpg

Edited by Cret
  • Like 1

On an entirely different note - wish I'd known about that competition as I'd have entered this one I took of the castle earlier this year, just out of curiosity since it had some positive feedback from a few people (after a little bit of tidying on it at least):

PeelCastle09082011-1BW.jpg

Very impressive.

I use an app on my phone for telling me where the sun is going to be relative to any location

I use The Photographer's Ephemeris which gives the same results (obviously all from the same data) which is why I think it is a sunrise.

Which one are you using?

Of course I kind of need to be able to control the weather too to get the best out of it, but I haven't found an app for that yet.....

Mark Woodward holds the patent for that.......

It's called LightTrac - it's perfect for what I wanted, which was to know at any given time of year/day where the sun would be relative to anything of interest on the island.

So for instance if I am at Langness and want a shot of the sun setting behind chicken rock lighthouse, I can just check what time of year that will be using the map overlay, and then see exactly what time that will occur.

So I can plot very specific shots that way. Of course I kind of need to be able to control the weather too to get the best out of it, but I haven't found an app for that yet.....

The sunrise pic? Cameras can be dreadful liars.

It's often photoshop that's the guilty party though....

C'mon then mojo, explain how our logic is flawed and some of these explantions cannot work?

If you go through my posts you’ll see my point was that you will not see a sunrise from the sea when standing in Peel. I’ve never said you won’t see the sunrise in Peel as that would be illogical and simply impossible. I still haven’t seen anything to prove you’d see the sun rise from the sun when standing in Peel and go back to one of my original points that the photograph shows the morning sun and not a sunrise, although given the HDRing I’ll freely admit it is difficult to make out definitive shapes and colours. The photograph posted by jrb110655 effectively proves my point that in Peel the sun has to rise behind the Island's land and hills.

I don’t want to overly bloat quote so have quoted the relevant parts from my posts:

Tempus - I thought you we're kidding at first but now I'm not so sure.

Please tell me you're not saying it is possible to see a sunrise looking out to sea in Peel.

…… Relate that back to a map and you’ll see it is impossible to see the sun rise from the sea when standing in Peel.

. You can't see the sun rise from the sea in Peel at any time of the year and definitely not from the position that photo was taken.

and therein lies the problem, the land and hills stop you seeing the horizon of the sea when the sun rises.

At this time standing in Peel the sunrise would be blocked by the land and hills, it would actually be later before the sun reached sufficient height to rise above the respective horizon.

….. At no point at any time of the year would be a sunrise from the sea be visible in Peel.

Edited by mojomonkey

That's all you kept banging on about though that it "wasn't a sunrise". The initial post only mentioned sunrise over Peel yet you kept on and on how it couldn't come from that direction. Even with my amateur doodle you said my logic was flawed even though it showed the sun would rise over the land.

The line from your viewpoint to the sun and from Peel to the sun is not parallel because the world isn't flat (trust me) and it rotates, so your logic cannot work.

I never said it rises over the sea only that it might be possible to see a sunrise looking that way.

I still maintain that the photo was probably taken the half hour or so before sunset when the western and north western sky is lit up.

Critically, at 07:34 on that day the sun was positioned directly east of Peel, thus proving that the direction in which the photograph was taken cannot show a sunrise.

At this time standing in Peel the sunrise would be blocked by the land and hills,

Until it comes over the hills but that isn't a "sunrise" in your book?

I myself never stated it rose over the sea as did others but that's all you kept hanging on to.

If you go through my posts you’ll see my point was that you will not see a sunrise from the sea when standing in Peel.

The bloke who took the photo just confirmed it was a sunrise a few posts above. Are you saying he is lying?