Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Last Ten

Sunrise Over Peel

Old Git - mojomonkey is being really pedantic - its a photo of the colours of the sunrise across the bay from Peel Castle. You cannot physically see the sun rise from the sea from that position as the land on the other side of the bay blocks it - that is the point mojomonkey is making. He's correct, but it's irrelevent. You can see a nice glow of the sunrise there - it makes a nice photo, even an award winning one, and to call that photo Peel Sunrise would be perfectly accurate no matter how much mojomonkey disagrees!

mojomonkey is being really pedantic -...... He's correct, but it's irrelevent

I don't see how when he he clearly said "I still maintain that the photo was probably taken the half hour or so before sunset"

Mojomonkey - the brightest part of this photo:

post-1364-0-56399900-1324048276_thumb.jpg

Is exactly where Cret's program says the sun is rising from:

post-1364-0-80029400-1324048379_thumb.png

Are you really still saying it was taken in the evening - even when the photographer has confirmed its a morning shot and all the evidence supports this?

Or are you saying its been photoshopped to make it look like a sunrise?

Just to add a little astronomical detail to this thread - me and the little ones were up there this weekend walking round the Castle, and the sun set on the shortest day is 180 degrees round from the sunrise on the longest day.

It makes a nice view of the sun descending into the sea from the north west most tip of St Patrick's Isle, plus I love the symmetry our orbital axis brings to the world.

A lot of experts think Stone Henge isn't aligned on the summer solstice, but the winter one and all the hippies should be there 6 months later looking the other way as the sun disappears at the end of the shortest day.

... which is tomorrow by the way!

Edited by Chinahand

err shortest day or longest night tomorrow NOT shortest night, unless you have moved Stonehenge to the Southern hemisphere

and the sun set on the shortest day is 180 degrees round from the sunrise on the longest day.

eh ?

is that right ? or does that only hold true for one particular latitude somewhere ?

eh ?

is that right ? or does that only hold true for one particular latitude somewhere ?

on equator (lat = 0) presumably no change

on artic circle the diff must be 360 (on shortest day sun just rises in S on longest day sunrise + sunset at same time/place due N

thus must vary between 0 Lat and 66deg - I'd already pointed out that in Peel the sunsets at soltices are abt 90deg apart

I think its anywhere in the world. On the arctic circle the portion of the horizon the sun gets above is gradually reduced as winter progresses - exactly on the circle at midday on the shortest day the sun will half rise above the horizon exactly due south and then sink down again. On the longest day it will half sink below the horizon exactly due north at midnight - 180 degrees apart from the sunrise on the shortest day.

On the equator the sun rise (and set) will move from exactly east (west) at the equinox towards the north east (north west) during the north hemisphere summer, then back again and then towards the south east (south west) during the southern hemisphere summer. The sunrise at mid summer will be as far to the north east as the sunset at mid winter will be to the south west - 180 degrees apart around the compass.

Thought i'd resurrect this thread. Personally, the best thread of the year.

So time is upon us and any volunteers out there to watch the 'sunrise' in Peel.

Thanks, I'd remembered a few weeks ago but forgot it again.

that's why you're an old git...!!!