Are Primary School Teachers Allowed To Brainwash Our Children?

Gilly G. Ossenfeffer

Yes just what I expected. There's ignorance and intelligence . You are the same people who teach your children the difference between good and evil , right and wrong , love and forgiveness . The same things the bible teaches . If your so called theories are correct then why have monkeys not evolved into humans ??

I don't actually think you're serious. You're trolling. I don't think someone who can write a sentence can then ask why monkeys haven't turned into humans. I'll leave you (and if you were serious I will leave you to read a book on evolution).

Yes just what I expected. There's ignorance and intelligence . You are the same people who teach your children the difference between good and evil , right and wrong , love and forgiveness . The same things the bible teaches . If your so called theories are correct then why have monkeys not evolved into humans ??

If Americans are of European descent, why are there still Europeans?

I don't actually think you're serious. You're trolling. I don't think someone who can write a sentence can then ask why monkeys haven't turned into humans. I'll leave you (and if you were serious I will leave you to read a book on evolution).

A scientific theory isn't just a bright idea. It's a model that accounts for the facts eg Darwin's theory of evolution

The Big Bang is the most credible theory for how the universe began. (Far more credible than the beliefs of the Bible). Or are you just a troll?

Pot, kettle and black.

But to play devils advocate for a moment, why it is more credible just for example because Hawkings can do maths than most people can never understand.

Humanity (or civilisation) has only been around for circa 5000 years which isnt even a heartbeat in the timeline of the universe. We might think we know and have credible ideas about things be it religion or science but I think we are still far to young a species to be certain about anything.

As for me, I'm with science but I wouldnt rule anything out.

How old is the child that it was given to?

8 yrs old.

I am truly staggered by the amount of ignorance displayed by some blustering posters on here.

Whilst the teaching in schools of religions is an interesting subject and worthy of study from, amongst other things, a political and historical point of view, they appear to confuse this with the teaching of creationism - a contradiction of all known scientific facts, expounded only by religious nuts, and no different from Taliban shit. I can only believe that, like the teacher in this case, they are clueless about what creationism actually is. More scarey still, though, is if they do actually understand what creationism propounds and yet still maintain it ok to teach this mumbo-jumbo to susceptible young children.

I think it would be more to the point if you taught your little 8 year old to be more tolerant of other people's views. Just because someone has a different point of view from yourself does not automatically mean they are "nuts" spounting what amounts to "Taliban shit" or "mumbo-jumbo", nor are teachers or other people who are more tolerant to these views necessarily "clueless".

Whilst I don't necessarily believe in creationism myself, I wouldn't dream of writing off people who do as some kind of lunatic fringe & I certainly wouldn't want my children isolated from the fact that many people hold many firmly held beliefs that I don't & they should be treated with the same respect as any other human being.

You obviously believe strongly that all creationist are nutters & that's your choice, but why deny your kids the opportunity to make their own mind up & hopefully develop a more tolerant attitude.

You seem to be fixated on trolls. Do you have a secret troll fetish? I find it hard to understand you. Your country is supposed to be based on one of racial and religious tolerance and democracy but clearly you practice democracy on your terms . Meaning as long as you have your say everybody must agree with it and accept it without question. Everything that your culture stands for. Wrong is right and right is wrong . No point debating with a bigot. When we both die we will see who was right , your belief is that you die and that's it.I believe there is something after that , and if I am right, Wow and if I'm wrong I have lost nothing !

I bet you didn't have a problem with your child being in the school nativity play celebrating the birth of Jesus which is what Christmas is based on and I bet you celebrate Easter with your kids which is a affirmation of Christ dying on the cross for our sins . If you don't believe in this take your decorations down and get a refund on your gifts because as I have said before , then you are a Bigot

True Xmas is Christ Mas but the celebration is much older basically being a winter solstice celebration celebrated by most in northern latitudes

Easter - the name itself in English (or rather Anglo Saxon) gives it away - Eostre, a teutonic goddess, originally

of the dawn (tho there are some attempts to link with a biblical name) - Easter day actually celebrates the supposed Resurection (the most important in Orthodox christianity with some impressive Russian hymns re this feast) - the dawn is probably the link to the old Goddess

The wager was Pascal's + can be refuted by many texts

ETA - the timing of Easter is of course linked to a lunar calendar - which however corresponds quite well to spring hence the association of greenery, eggs (new life), rabbits (tho these came to Britain with Romans)

Xmas decorations (evergreen trees + lights) are basically germanic and certainly predate Christianity, feasting at this time is commonly found in many cultures - Roman Saturnalia - festival in honor of the deity Saturn originally held December 17

Edited by Frances

My youngest came home today with a free book handed out to every child in the class by "a man who came to talk to us about God".It is called The Story of Creation by Colin Tinsley and states on the back:

"All around us we can see the perfect handiwork of God. The grass, trees, animals and people are all the work of God. In this book Colin has sought to tell the creation story form the beginning of the world until God destroyed the world with a flood and started to repopulate the earth all over again."

Also see link: http://www.hopeforyouthministries.org/2011/05/new-creation-book/

It is absolutely outrageous that you have to sign a form to let your child have an aspirin or their picture in the school mag but are not required to give your consent to your child being fed this craziness. WTF?

Nasty. School visiting fucking Jesus freaks should be banned from this sort of thing. Those sort of desert welly wearing god botherers should be banned from school visits where there are small school children present.

• Like 2

..Since when had teaching Christianity in schools been wrong? ..

I believe the OP was complaining more about the American import of creationism - teaching of Christianity in Manx schools (except for those of the Church of Rome!) was required by law when state schools were established in 1872 - maybe one of our lawyers now they have removed the verboten material from the Racket thread can confirm this.

This thread has been a cracking read. I don't pass by Manxforums very often anymore, but catching this topic has given me a few laughs tonight. What is this world coming to when there is such an uproar about something so minor? ah well.

My oldest son came home from school and shared with us a great 'prayer song' that they sing before leaving the classroom. He loves to sing it every night after our family prayer. Fantastic. Very glad that some schools are still teaching great, inspiring messages to the children.

Good luck with your protest.

Edited by DjDan
  • Like 2