Pure bullshit, Albert - and I'm sure you know it. And if you're so blinded by 'populist' views such as those held by the vocal minority in this thread, then you really should give up any political ambition immediately.

Over 2000 posts about a single incident in which no one came to any harm? That's pathetic!

How many posts about the MEA - a scandal which has made all of us suffer and which is still ongoing?

How many about the Mt Murray affair - which was about people who are still wielding power on the island?

This is an attack on an individual who, apart from this incident, seems to have done a reasonable job compared to most of those in Tynwald. I'd rather not speculate on the motives behind it, but they're really not very pleasant from what I can see.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can give you my background on this, if you like. In recent years, as I have aged, I find myself becoming increasingly angered by the attitude and behaviour of our elected representatives at nationa

Hold on a second. Fair enough, Home Affairs Minister goes to alcohol strategy discussion, and maybe the fact two ministerial colleagues are attending too is okay (even if their departments aren't dire

Still think you are missing the point. If a minister is found to be lacking in area specifically related to their portfolio then he should go. If the agriculture minister was a farmer who wasn't foll

Posted Images

Pure bullshit, Albert - and I'm sure you know it. And if you're so blinded by 'populist' views such as those held by the vocal minority in this thread, then you really should give up any political ambition immediately.

Over 2000 posts about a single incident in which no one came to any harm? That's pathetic!

I have higher standards than that. If it had been me, I would have resigned from that particular post, and don't forget we are talking here about the equivalent of home secretary.

Where would you draw the lines on these things? 'He was drink driving, but no one got runover so it's all ok!'?

Principles are principles. Integrity is integrity. Responsibility is responsibility.

I have higher standards than that. If it had been me, I would have resigned from that particular post, and don't forget we are talking here about the equivalent of home secretary.

Where would you draw the lines on these things? 'He was drink driving, but no one got runover so it's all ok!'?

Principles are principles. Integrity is integrity. Responsibility is responsibility.

But he was not drink driving was he?! He was being responsible and after having a few drinks chose to use public transport rather than get behind the wheel himself. Juan could have chosen to get a taxi or a lift with someone instead and in that case would we have had all this fuss? Maybe he could have booked a hotel room and put it on expenses?!

This thread is nothing more than a witch hunt and you all know it. There is no real argument that he was being irresponsible by using public transport (I do not know how much he had to drink but it may not have been excessive as alcohol can affect people in different ways at different times). Juan also admitted that the event had happened and apologised for it - what more do you want for a minor indiscretion?

There is a lot for Juan to be commended for. But let us not forget that the crux of the matter is that he gave the nation a speech about responsible drinking....that very afternoon. Yep, the equivalent of the Home Secretary (*giggles*)

The number of local people reading these forums is a fraction of the population. The number who actually bother to read this thread is even smaller - and the number who do so and are actually bothered by this story any more would be counted in single figures.

The vendetta is a failure - get over it!

According to a counsel in the Isle of Man Courts, on a separate matter regarding Manx Forums 3,155 hits is a significant number, .... in a small jurisdiction of approximately 80,000 inhabitants.

100,563 views for this thread is rocket fuel. It's slowing down though. I look forward to Juan getting hammered this Christmas too after telling the rest of us to lay off it.

Edited by Theodolite

But there's such a thing as proportion. Being drunk on a bus is not the same as being drunk in charge of a car. In fact, you're encouraged to take the bus in those circumstances.

Juan's punishment has been proportional to the wrong done. He paid for the damage, apologised, has had the piss taken out of him.

You're trying to blow this up into more than it is.

Minister gets pished up and disgraces himself on the way back from office party at Christmas is not news.

After having a speech broadcast to the nation about responsible drinking, Minister gets pished up and disgraces himself on the way back from office party at Christmas is news.

It's fucking dynamite in fact and has kept many of us chortling for months.

This thread is nothing more than a witch hunt and you all know it. There is no real argument that he was being irresponsible by using public transport

He may well have been being responsible by using public transport but this is the person who is the miister responsible for law and order who very publically only hours earlier stood up and advised people not to be involved in this sort of behaviour. He would presumably be required to impart a similar message this year, although presumably he will have to side step and put up a minion in his place. Either way, whoever gives the message, it will be a difficult message to get across as the first question will be, why do you expect the public to listen and take notice when your boss does not? His behavior there impacts his ability to fulfill all his duties.

As may have pointed out, plenty of others appear to have been arrested, charged and convicted of offences in not hugely dissimilar circumstances. For whatever reason he escaped any such action. When you are the minister responsible for preventing such behaviour or if it unlawfully occurs ensuring those who perpertrate are caught etc it does in my opinion make your position untenable

It is not a witch hunt, it is purely expecting that those at the top who are expected to lead and set an example do so. If they fall short, as in this case, then unfortunatly you should step aside. If he had been a minister in any other department or had not stood up and given a public order message which he went and completely ignored then I would agree with you. Problem is he is the minister for law and order!

(I do not know how much he had to drink but it may not have been excessive as alcohol can affect people in different ways at different times).

So he fell asleep on the bus, could not be woken at the destination and was subsequently sick on the bus yet you say he may not have had an excessive amount of alcohol! Obviously your definition of excessive and mine are different

So he fell asleep on the bus, could not be woken at the destination and was subsequently sick on the bus yet you say he may not have had an excessive amount of alcohol! Obviously your definition of excessive and mine are different

And how much EXACTLY did he drink?

And how much EXACTLY did he drink?

More than he could handle!

On the afternoon in question, I saw him rather merrily talking on his phone outside O'Donnells in the early afternoon.

I'd say he would have drunk at least a bucketful.

On the afternoon in question, I saw him rather merrily talking on his phone outside O'Donnells in the early afternoon.

I'd say he would have drunk at least a bucketful.

Give it a rest you fucking idiot. This is online bullying and it is not funny anymore.

• Like 1

ok

The fact remains that I did see JW where I said. Incidentally, I also saw and spoke to another MHK at the other end of Strand Street. He was chattier than usual and I dare say - like myself - was in the Christmas spirit.

It was the following day - in O'Donells perchance - that I probably drunk maybe nearly a bucketful myself, 8 pints?

However, I am not a Minister and I did not broadcast on the National Radio Station, to the Nation, about appropriate drinking and all that.

When I put myelf forward for public office, get on an ego trip and start spouting hypocritical vacuous crap on Manx Radio, and then make a total drunken fool of myself - then you feel free to have a go and talk about my actions.

Until then perhaps, stfu. I take offence at your suggestion I am a bully.

Edited by Theodolite
  • ans locked this topic