Apart from a dozen people, does anyone really care about something that happened a year old?

So you are saying all of our concerns about anything should have a 'use by date of a year'?

Are you some kind of Goldfish?

Thats not very nice is it Albert? I thought your standards would have been better than that according to your later post? 2161

If you read my back posts, then you'll see exactly where I stand on this and if you don't know for certain, then have the decency of looking them up instead of name calling which doesn't become you.

To answer your question regards a use by date, do you personally think that anything you say or do on this forum, will make the slightest bit of difference to him now?

Do you see where I'm coming from now? Surely if something was going to happen, it would have happened ages ago and thats the point I was trying to make, yet people will make jokes about being sick time and time again and that simply is cyber bullying and I don't care who it is, bullying is just wrong.

If people still believe that they can do something, then apart from this or other forum, what have they actually done or achieved?

er...standards don't mean you have to be nice to people. A prat can be called a prat regardless of standards.

I was simply asking you why a year seemed to be where we should draw the line, and whether we should all apply that to everything in our lives? I'm fairly sure you wouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can give you my background on this, if you like. In recent years, as I have aged, I find myself becoming increasingly angered by the attitude and behaviour of our elected representatives at nationa

Hold on a second. Fair enough, Home Affairs Minister goes to alcohol strategy discussion, and maybe the fact two ministerial colleagues are attending too is okay (even if their departments aren't dire

Still think you are missing the point. If a minister is found to be lacking in area specifically related to their portfolio then he should go. If the agriculture minister was a farmer who wasn't foll

Posted Images

I am sure there are a few youngsters out there,(just like the young lad in Ramsey who was found asleep on the bench outside the police station, sleeping off a few drinks, although he had not vomited on a bus or on the floor in public view, he was still charged and found guilty of being drunk and incapable), who wish that the slate was wiped clean after a year, instead of having a record for life. I wonder if there is someone in charge of law and order who could do something about that ermm.gif

• Like 2

Apart from a dozen people, does anyone really care about something that happened a year old?

So you are saying all of our concerns about anything should have a 'use by date of a year'?

Are you some kind of Goldfish?

Thats not very nice is it Albert? I thought your standards would have been better than that according to your later post? 2161

If you read my back posts, then you'll see exactly where I stand on this and if you don't know for certain, then have the decency of looking them up instead of name calling which doesn't become you.

To answer your question regards a use by date, do you personally think that anything you say or do on this forum, will make the slightest bit of difference to him now?

Do you see where I'm coming from now? Surely if something was going to happen, it would have happened ages ago and thats the point I was trying to make, yet people will make jokes about being sick time and time again and that simply is cyber bullying and I don't care who it is, bullying is just wrong.

If people still believe that they can do something, then apart from this or other forum, what have they actually done or achieved?

er...standards don't mean you have to be nice to people. A prat can be called a prat regardless of standards.

I was simply asking you why a year seemed to be where we should draw the line, and whether we should all apply that to everything in our lives? I'm fairly sure you wouldn't.

Are you a persecutor, an oppressor, a person who would like to see a person hung drawn and quartered, a person who cannot forgive or forget regardless if this was the only thing wrong they've done in their lives.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's no ulterior motive you have, but like it or lump it, this thread is sadly getting to you as also others, but they have different objectives in play.

Again; do you personally think that anything you say or do on this forum, will make the slightest bit of difference to him now?

Edited by manxy

I am sure there are a few youngsters out there,(just like the young lad in Ramsey who was found asleep on the bench outside the police station, sleeping off a few drinks, although he had not vomited on a bus or on the floor in public view, he was still charged and found guilty of being drunk and incapable), who wish that the slate was wiped clean after a year, instead of having a record for life. I wonder if there is someone in charge of law and order who could do something about that ermm.gif

I am sure that there isn't either, but how do you prove the ones that were let off?

I am sure that there isn't either, but how do you prove the ones that were let off?

The fact is Manxy, the next time someone is drunk and incapable, falls asleep and is then sick on public transport... the authorities will no longer be able to take any enforcement action whatsoever. Full stop.

• Like 1

What enforcement action do you want? He paid for the damage.

People fall asleep on public transport everyday, sickness is not uncommon, and thankfully these people aren't criminalised. Don't create a new group of criminals just to score a petty political point.

Well "standards" can mean different things to different people.

For me, it's important that people are treated fairly, that a punishment is proportionate to the "crime". This incident wasn't a big deal, he paid a reasonable price for it, and therefore this continuing crusade against him looks like a spiteful vendetta.

Other than the embarrassment of being caught out, he has paid no price at all for it.

The loser in all this is public standards, and the post itself he holds and the respect he and others hold for it. It is in short further moral decline.

When you look back 20 years at the others that have 'got away' with all the things they have got away with (and I include Allan Bell himself), - and 'we' are so willing to accept it that way, then little wonder we have the politicians and the institutionalised corruption we have here.

It's called life Albert. If you want to create the perfect race, then go ahead but please not from your own genes as quite frankly you sound like a dull pretentious prick who needs to get a life outside Manx Forums. You are definitely a bully though and when the police investigate this thread I would love to see you in court explaining how outraged you are about the whole matter.

How is arguing for higher principles and standards in public life bullying? How is arguing for fair and equal treatment across the board for similar offences bullying? How is time passing an excuse to just drop something serious and then if it is not it can be considered bullying?

So I am a budding Hitler now, looking to create the perfect race? Nice try. But it is your idle threats that are the actual bullying, in trying to get numerous people arguing for the very same principles to shut up.

And, in actual fact, the reality is it is people like you arguing such rubbish that keeps this thread going. Moreover, consider this, perhaps it is all of us that have been 'bullied' by the current system as it has not acted on these events, either voluntarily by the individual concerned or collectively. In short this was an arrestable offence that was not acted upon, and the post is the equivalent of home secretary.

If you think that's petty InterestedMan, tis you who needs a reality check my friend.

• Like 4

InterestedMan - Why would the police be interested?

Juan is a politician, by becoming a politician he left himself open to criticism from the public. Even from the likes of Albert. Even if, like now, the criticism is unfair and unreasonable, it would be a retrograde step for that to be a matter for the courts or the police.

Are you Mrs W?

Even if, like now, the criticism is unfair and unreasonable,

It is only your opinion that the criticism is unfair and unreasonable. Others including myself are of the opinion that it is fair and reasonable. It is not a fact that I am right or that you are right.

Forget the individual or the offence but I think that if you are a politicion responsible for a uholding a particular area, stand up and make a speach about an issue and then within 24hrs go and do the complete opposite then it does make your position very difficult. I do not think that merely apologising was enough, in my opinion he should have set an example and stepped down showing that there was a consequence for his action. Anybody can apologise and carry on as if nothing has happened.

If he remained a minister but in a different department I would have had no issues.

• Like 2

InterestedMan - Why would the police be interested?

Juan is a politician, by becoming a politician he left himself open to criticism from the public. Even from the likes of Albert. Even if, like now, the criticism is unfair and unreasonable, it would be a retrograde step for that to be a matter for the courts or the police.

Are you Mrs W?

Of course I am.

Look, I don't disagree with your point about criticism, but this is dangerous territory. How do you know that Juan Watterson doesnt go home every night and read this on Manx Forums or Mrs Watterson or his Mum or his kids or whoever and their health or mental state is not being affected by it ? We've all read the stories about online bullying via facebook etc and the tragic consequences. I find it all quite sickening really. I'm afraid that is my final comment on this and on this site.

We were here not long ago:

Anonymous posts are fine, until you make it personal. Then you just become a coward and a bully. Politicians, union leaders, business people etc have the guts to stand up and have a go, whilst this forum is largely populated by what appears to be angry, sad and unfufilled people who want to be big and brave and scandalise others - as long as they can stay anonymous.

Some of us are not anonymous though. One such being Amadeus who makes a quite excellent point below that really does sum up the opinion of a great many with reference to public figures.

If there is just one of the current shambolic circus of half - wits, chancers and cynics occupying seats in the Keys that I would like to see emptied it's that odious piece of garbage Cannell. She's an even bigger disgrace than woodentop Henderson. Her loathsome self- serving cynical distortion of the breast care issue ( as expertly set out by Cableguy) is enough to render her unfit for public office. And I say that as a 62 year old woman who, god forbid , may need the service.... and who wants to see more women elected.... but not this wretched harridan.

I have to say, that is the most offensive post I have ever read on a Manx forum.

I strongly disagree. It'a a pefectly valid, honest - if strongly worded - opinion about a publically elected politician. It may not be positive, but that's politics. If you want pink fluffy bunny talk, work in a Kindergarten smile.gif

InterestedMan seems very similar, and tries to make the same point, as manxbloke2. Both of which I think are rubbish....

....and when the police investigate this thread I would love to see you in court explaining how outraged you are about the whole matter.

Bring it on.

It's the principle that has been argued here, time and time again.

I think we all agree that JW is a pleasant and personable chap and all that, and one we'd all like to be with at a party or a stag do or whatever. But not Home Affairs Minister, thank you.

No wonder the police are able to get away with some of the shenanigans they do when JW provides the Ministerial political representation to their organisation.

Even if, like now, the criticism is unfair and unreasonable,

It is only your opinion that the criticism is unfair and unreasonable. Others including myself are of the opinion that it is fair and reasonable. It is not a fact that I am right or that you are right.

Of course it is only my opinion and others may disagree. That's how forums work. Do I need to add "IMHO" or some equally unctuous abbreviation to every post?

• ans locked this topic