Vet Costs?

alibaba

have you ever met a poor vet ?

it's a cross we have to bear !

(some do seem to get to the bottom of problems others miss though, with all the tests etc it's often down to 'gut feeling' so to speak, friends had a dog with a problem and JC solved it where others had been trying all sorts with no improvements)

I have visited the one in Bride only to turn around again looked a little dirty to me.

Appearances are obviously misleading - Jane Callow is a first class vet and her staff are also very good. Prices are very reasonable. If you want good treatment for your animal you can't do better. Or perhaps you would rather pay through the nose for swanky premises?

• Like 2

I have no knowledge of Jane Callow - Bride is a bit out of the way for me - but I can recommend Milan practice.

Our cat was run over, I discovered him just before midnight one sunday, called the vet who met us at the practice, admitted him, operated the next day, looked after him as an inpatient for 5 days, aftercare visits... Came in at less than £1000. Now that's a lot of money, but compared with private medical practice it's very cheap. Had a human had the same treatment you could have multiplied total costs by 10.

On another occasion we had an injured feral cat that got itself locked in our house. It made a bit of a mess, I captured it in a cat carrier which wasn't easy, called Milan and they came and took him away. They didn't charge anything, even though we asked how much we owed for their trouble.

I have always used Milan for my two cats. Douglas staff seemed very rude and rough with my cats.

Although the castletown branch are a lovely bunch of people. very caring and looked after my two cats and the kittens they had very well.

:)

I have no knowledge of Jane Callow - Bride is a bit out of the way for me - but I can recommend Milan practice.

Our cat was run over, I discovered him just before midnight one sunday, called the vet who met us at the practice, admitted him, operated the next day, looked after him as an inpatient for 5 days, aftercare visits... Came in at less than £1000. Now that's a lot of money, but compared with private medical practice it's very cheap. Had a human had the same treatment you could have multiplied total costs by 10.

On another occasion we had an injured feral cat that got itself locked in our house. It made a bit of a mess, I captured it in a cat carrier which wasn't easy, called Milan and they came and took him away. They didn't charge anything, even though we asked how much we owed for their trouble.

I would assume that the feral cat would have been paid for by the MSPCA (or one of the feline charities on the Island.)

I have nothing against Milan, indeed I used them for many years, but I have to come down firmly on the side of Jane Callows.

The cost is one consideration, the prices at Jane Callows are significantly less for everything I have ever needed, but above an beyond that is the obvious care the animals receive. I could not imagine that you own cat would have been waiting until the next day for surgery had you have been heading to Bride for the emergency care, I'm pretty sure it would have been carried out at midnight or after if needed.

The thing about Jane's is that it's run by animal lovers, who put good service and animal above profit. I am sure that those who work at the other vets on the Island care deeply about the animals they treat, but I also know first hand that the bills attached to that care are also considerable.

post-2898-0-97240900-1325263038_thumb.jpgOur dog is currently on a drip in the vets, and has been since Boxing day.

Situation is touch and go, so shit christmas in the peas household.

Our bill is currently over £700.00, but as we pay £14.00 a month insurance, the excess we will have to pay is only £85.00.

Wasn't too sure about taking insurance out to begin with, but obviously really pleased we did now.

If any of you pray on a daily basis, please include our pooch in your thoughts. sad.png

I could not imagine that you own cat would have been waiting until the next day for surgery had you have been heading to Bride for the emergency care, I'm pretty sure it would have been carried out at midnight or after if needed.

I doubt it very much - operating in the small hours is a no-no for humans, unless life or limb threatening, so I can't imagine vets offering worse treatment by going against all recommended safety guidelines and doing the opposite. My cat was given analgesia, put on a drip, given antibiotics - i.e. resuscitated - before safe surgery the following day after appropriate X-rays. Pretty much exactly as I would do for a patient coming in at a similar hour.

In my cat's case his leg was amputated, but that was because it was beyond salvage, not because of any delays.