I have just travelled by Flybe from Southampton to the Isle of Man with my luggage in a small suitcase which I have used on many occasions. This I had understood complied with aircraft travel conditions as it easily fits in overhead luggage racks. However this time the check- in receptionist at Southampton asked me to place the bag on the scales. It weighed 8.7kgm. Then she asked me to place it in the apparatus to check the measurements. The length turmed out to be 4cm over their limit due to the handle.

As a result I was asked to pay £30 extra i.e. approximately another 50% on the fare. I regard this charge as excessive. It appears to me that the 12 passengers who boarded the 78 seater aircraft were being closely monitored to reduce the loss Flybe must have incurred on this part of the journey.

Passengers checking into all the Flybe flights were routinely being referred for excesss baggage.

What experiences on charges have you had? Perhaps they should be collated to enable Government to amend the passenger charter.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was going to be charged £70 for my luggage being overweight on a trip back from Manchester. So I unpacked my bag and put on as many items of clothes I could (much to the amusement of the check in m

I think he was reasonable to highlight this issue. I travel in and out of here several times a month and I think Flybe's policy in relation to hand luggage totally stinks and I've written to them seve

Reminder: Do not allow yourself to be intimidated Check that the scales are registering zero before placing your bag on the conveyor (I encountered "zeroed" scales at Ronaldsway that displayed 1

It's their job to make as much money out of you as they can and it's your job to stop them. Ok that's a bit harsh and simplistic but whilst I understand how you feel having a bag over the size limit makes it easy for them. You may well get away with it for months but one day....

Edited by ballaughbiker

Passengers being subject to profiteering may decide enough is enough - credit card charges, bags, service charges. Money lenders charging 5000% interest rates is another example of unacceptable modern day business practice.

I was going to be charged £70 for my luggage being overweight on a trip back from Manchester. So I unpacked my bag and put on as many items of clothes I could (much to the amusement of the check in man - he did apologise for the charge and did seem genuinely embarrassed to ask me for the £70). He kept on reweighing my bag till it reached the required weight and I waddled on to the plane. I did pity the man sitting next to me as I did sweat quite a bit sweatingbullets.gif

• Like 3

I was told by the receptionist that their charges are published. I promised her that the small print hidden away will receive a lot more coverage from me even if there is no such thing as bad publicity. Please ensure you have plenty of cash with you in case of unexpected mishaps when you travel. Don't rely on the original quote. Once you are at the airport you are at the mercy of the carrier whose policy is to take as much as possible from you in extra fees!

Surely everybody knows all that though?

You said yourself the bag was over size. I am not seeing the issue here, or is it simply that you got away with it in the past?

Where do they draw the line at letting people away with over size hand baggage, is it 4cm, 6, 10, 20?

Don't rely on the original quote. Once you are at the airport you are at the mercy of the carrier whose policy is to take as much as possible from you in extra fees!

This is the same policy for nearly every airline in the world. Just be glad you don't travel with surfboards to the UK and then on-wards . Excess/oversize baggage on airlines is an art-form in its self!

I've been charged nothing on some outbound journeys and then had to pay big fees on the way back from a country. A lot depends on who's on the desk, how you speak to them, which airline it is etc. My advice is read all their T&Cs, abide by them (ring in advance if you're not sure) and print out any info on fees from their site. Paying in advance is usually cheaper as well.

Whilst I accept what is being said,the point surely is that these companies get away with it. The public just accepts unfair practices which are usually not headlined.

What's unfair?

When you book a ticket you get an option to book a case into the hold up to a certain weight. They clearly tell you what the charge for this is.

If you don't want to they tell you your hand baggage must meet regulation size and be under a certain weight, if it isn't they charge you extra.

I hate what it costs to fly as much as anyone, but I accept they are a business that needs to make money or I would have to swim. I don't see anything they have done that is unfair.

Unfairness is in the eye of the beholder. The buyer must beware especially when dealing with a company with little competition. Flybe according to their recent publicity are making a lot of profit. Excellent news for their shareholders. I wish them well but there have been many complaints over the years about charges. Their continued well being as they will agree depends on ensuring their service is excellent and seen to be fair. Different treatment at the check in depending on how the clerk feels is unacceptable.

Unfairness is in the eye of the beholder. The buyer must beware especially when dealing with a company with little competition. Flybe according to their recent publicity are making a lot of profit. Excellent news for their shareholders. I wish them well but there have been many complaints over the years about charges. Their continued well being as they will agree depends on ensuring their service is excellent and seen to be fair. Different treatment at the check in depending on how the clerk feels is unacceptable.

Oh come on, you have already admitted that your bag was oversize so whats the problem?

I have spent time in Curphys with a tape measure to check bag sizes before I purchased anything. (it is surprising how advertised "carry on size bags" are actually oversize if you measure handles and wheels etc, Samsonite being the biggest culprit according to my brief survey) cool.png

You have got away with it in the past but I would imagine now that you have come on here posting in your own name that you will not ever get away with it again.

Flybe are no worse or better than other "low cost" airlines for things like this. shaun.gif

No one has ever queried my bag before especially as it was bought on the understanding it was within the airlines guideline - obviously though Flybe seem to be the exception.

I do not wish to get away with it. If I did I would not be putting this on Manx Forums under my own name.It does not matter to me but I do think that an online bag charge of around £10 online which rises to £30 at the airport is over the top. Perhaps some of you have a vested interest in supporting this? Perhaps some of you are travelling on company expenses?