Pc World & Currys Superstore

PC World & Currys  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Buddysmum

Oh, and by the way I lived here when there was less than 55,000 people living here. Still don't see why we shouldn't get good customer service and choice.

Edited by Buddysmum
  • Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went into PC World this morning, and promptly got turfed out. Fuck me, you've got to watch what you say in there.

Yeah... but what about the tele?

Excellent. I look forward to a spotty youth with no technical knowledge trying to flog me an extended warranty that costs more than the item I have just purchased and an HDMI lead for £150.

Posted Images

Customer service should be a given. Can't argue with that.

I'd also say that you would expect a pub to be a bit flexible with serving times on a bank holiday, but to expect places to serve after 2 the rest of the ear is unrealistic.

I'd love a greater choice of car dealers, I'd love a greater choice of places to take the kids, I'd love a greater choice of restaurants, but in order to be there at all a business needs to be profitable. In order to be profitable it has to tailor its offering and prices to the size I it's market.

When I chose to raise my family in a cut off population of 85,000 I accepted that we won't be able to visit a multiplex or amusement park each week, and that we wouldn't be living in a generic uk town.

If these stores continue to be able to open, and if people continue to just look at the bottom line price for one particular item rather than the bigger Island wide pictur, then I think the island will be a worse place as a result.

Every pound someone spends off island, or in a store that doesn't pay local tax and vat results in less money into the island economy. Supporting our poplulation with the services required costs the same wherever the money comes from, be in tax on business profits, vat receipts, or direct personal taxation. If everyone starts spending in these off island businesses and buying online then the shortfall will only have to be made up elsewhere, and ultimately we all pay the extra anyway.

• Like 1
Guest Buddysmum

As somebody born here I suppose I still hold a romantic notion of the little Island in the middle of the Irish Sea being independent and doing it's own thing. But, in all honesty, I can't see that working any more. We're no longer a small Island, we have a population that equals, if not exceeds, many a small town in the UK. We no longer have an independent Government - we're forced to follow the UK (and Europe) in all things. All we have now are things that are an inconvenience (Manx money not accepted across for example). So, I'm sorry, but I can't accept the fact that chain stores coming here are a bad thing. Our Government tries to encourage people with money to live here - I know many that have moved here to take advantage of the tax. Not one of them would even consider spending their money in Strand Street!! They even go "back home" to get their hair done! Time to move on.....people want choice, people want value for money. If local stores don't want to lose custom then they need to start offering both choice and value for money. There's no reason why independent shops can't survive if they offer value plus personal service - it can be done!

• Like 1
Guest Buddysmum

Buddysmum: It is crystal clear that you have never run a business and haven't the first clue about economics.

True, Woolley - my viewpoint is only as a shopper not a businessperson.

Until rents go down here, the small shops can never hope to compete with bulk buying discount chains. High property prices here are destroying retail, and taking so much money out of the economy with people having to pay such a high proportion of their salary on their overpriced property mortgages, that the overpricing is destroying society too - in that people can no longer afford to go anywhere but home at night.

Got to agree with you Albert about the rents.

Maybe if shops under a certain size had a reduced rent, then this might make things on par with bigger companies?

Customer service should be a given. Can't argue with that.

I'd also say that you would expect a pub to be a bit flexible with serving times on a bank holiday, but to expect places to serve after 2 the rest of the ear is unrealistic.

I'd love a greater choice of car dealers, I'd love a greater choice of places to take the kids, I'd love a greater choice of restaurants, but in order to be there at all a business needs to be profitable. In order to be profitable it has to tailor its offering and prices to the size I it's market.

When I chose to raise my family in a cut off population of 85,000 I accepted that we won't be able to visit a multiplex or amusement park each week, and that we wouldn't be living in a generic uk town.

If these stores continue to be able to open, and if people continue to just look at the bottom line price for one particular item rather than the bigger Island wide pictur, then I think the island will be a worse place as a result.

Every pound someone spends off island, or in a store that doesn't pay local tax and vat results in less money into the island economy. Supporting our poplulation with the services required costs the same wherever the money comes from, be in tax on business profits, vat receipts, or direct personal taxation. If everyone starts spending in these off island businesses and buying online then the shortfall will only have to be made up elsewhere, and ultimately we all pay the extra anyway.

It'll all probably end up with people buying off the internet. Some firms dealing with the transportation would be ok, but other firms who buy and stock the items will probably lose out and close.

Just a question:

Would PC World, Curry's etc be registered to the IOM where money (corporate tax?) goes to the island, or is it just the Director who has to be Manx?

A share of the VAT collected from sales made here is retained by the IoM. There is no company tax applicable. All staff employed pay income tax.

http://www.gov.im/ebusiness/advantages/adv_taxation.xml

I've always found Waltons staff helpful, and willing to bargain a little. Their selection for TVs is fine, their prices for TVs is pretty good.

However, they just don't have the selection for PC bits anymore sad.png I used to build all my PCs there, but now the selection is just too limited, which is partly to do with there being more models in each generation of hardware now, and partly to do with demand. Unfortunate really.

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 1

As mentioned before, the big stores will ruin it for the little shops.

If the people can't get jobs, then they claim benefits.

If they claim benefits, who pays into them?

Cheaper items initially maybe, increased taxes a possibility

I've always found Waltons staff helpful, and willing to bargain a little.

Clearly you were lucky, I tried everything, Internet price was £400, Waltons prices was £600, they wouldn't budge at all, not even a carry case or cable(s)

I've always found Waltons staff helpful, and willing to bargain a little.

Clearly you were lucky, I tried everything, Internet price was £400, Waltons prices was £600, they wouldn't budge at all, not even a carry case or cable(s)

i had the same with MTV. so i brought online. saved about £400