What Was That In The Sky?

Addie

At 20.17 there was a very speedy greenish light travelling (hubby says) North to South, but I thought East to West.

Anyone else see it?

there's quite a difference between north -> south and east -> west that would be very difficult to confuse !

there was an ezyjet Gatwick > Aldergrove went over SE -> NW about that time (20.16)

Aircraft have a green light on their starboard (right hand) wing, and a red light on their port (left hand) wing. If viewed from the right hand side, you may only see the green, although usually you will also see the white light underneath/on top of the aircraft as well - depends on the angle it's turning, if it is.

Pass times for Space Station over Douglas today :-

03Jan12 12:46:14Z

03Jan12 14:21:49Z

03Jan12 15:57:49Z

03Jan12 17:33:59Z

03Jan12 19:11:30Z

Space station passes south west to south east.

What you probably saw was meteor from Quadrantids shower, quite common to see 'fireballs' that can often be green, they're generally active from 28th December to 12th Jan, although the 'peak' is at 7am GMT on 4th Jan.

http://www.spacedex.com/quadrantids/

Edited by matty

It was most likely the 30 odd seater Tynwald/LegCo Pensions *"Escape Pod", being tested and readied for after the next IoM Budget......

(* copyright "Star Wars" 1977.....)

At 20.17 there was a very speedy greenish light travelling (hubby says) North to South, but I thought East to West.

Anyone else see it?

I saw it - freaked me out - it looked very low, very fast, very round and no tail ......most definitely not a plane....I live in Sulby and it came kind of from Ramseyish heading towards the Tholt y Will direction.... hmm