Anti Drink Driving.

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=57101

"

"A senior police officer is expressing surprise and disappointment that a number of people took the chance of drinking and driving during the Christmas and New Year period.

Inspector Terry Stephen from the Roads Policing Unit says he is amazed that a minority of people still got behind the wheel, risking a court appearance, despite the efforts made to prevent the offence being committed.

He says the constabulary will continue to promote the anti-drinking driving message throughout the year, and is urging anybody who knows people who drive while unfit, through drink or drugs, to get in touch.

Inspector Stephen is offering further thoughts on the holiday campaign, which saw 13 arrests and nine people charged with drink-driving. Two people were bailed, while further enquiries are carried out, and two were released without being charged.

He says police committed a great deal of resources to support the month-long Department of Infrastructure campaign, stopping a total of 819 vehicles, which was an increase on the last two years.

Inspector Stephen says the vast majority of motorists were very supportive of the initiative, and backed the efforts made to keep the Island's road safe over the holiday period".

Urging people to get in touch, what a laugh, surely they can catch a lot more people for driving under the influence than they do without help from joe public, there are hundreds of regular drink drivers on the IOM and I bleive that the cops know who many of them are and where they drink so why do they need the public to turn stool pigeon?

Urging people to get in touch, what a laugh, surely they can catch a lot more people for driving under the influence than they do without help from joe public, there are hundreds of regular drink drivers on the IOM and I bleive that the cops know who many of them are and where they drink so why do they need the public to turn stool pigeon?

I think they did well this Christmas as they didn't seem to be as active in the vehicle checks or in the visible policing and yet they caught just as many people. So rather than claiming the numbers are down I'd be inclined to say that a lot more people got off this year because the police checked less vehicles and yet found the same number of offenders.

They seem to love twitter and all these public appeals though but quite what they achieve I'm not sure. This must be the third year of mystery fuel thefts and yet despite of all the public appeals they are still none the wiser and they continue without any apparent intervention by the police at all.

Edited by hboy
This must be the third year of mystery fuel thefts and yet despite of all the public appeals they are still none the wiser and they continue without any apparent intervention by the police at all.

Don't seem to do anything about the diesel spills either!

Not sure how long the drink driving campaign lasted, but 819 checks in 31 days only works out at only 26/ 27 checks per day, that should be acheived per officer per day, i wonder how many officers were involved ?

When they say they stopped 819 vehicles, how did they do it? I have never been or heard of anyone being stopped to see whether they've been drinking or not. Do they just pull random cars over by the side of the road or what?Perhaps they wait by a pub at closing time? I'm not critising or anything, 819 seems quite a lot to me, just wondering that's all?

It would appear that the IOM constabulary are severely underresoursed, what will the cosequences be when the inevitable cuts are madeohmy.png

They seem to be well resourced in the dog section, they are breeding them now. any mention of a gun and they are well resourced with equipement etc. but DRINK DRIVERS who could do more harm in their weapons still seem to get away with it !

have they no one at the top to sort it ? oh sorry he is probably lost on a bus pissed !!!!

Thankfully !

But you only have to see the reports in the local papers, damage to other vehicles, damage to walls, buildings and thats just the ones they put in the paper ! and who is talking about road deaths on the tt course ? that is a totally different subject and nothing to do with drink driving.

I have never been or heard of anyone being stopped to see whether they've been drinking or not. Do they just pull random cars over by the side of the road or what?Perhaps they wait by a pub at closing time? I'm not critising or anything, 819 seems quite a lot to me, just wondering that's all?

Same question, do the Police here have the right to set up checkpoints to breathalyse drink drivers? Much more effective than random stops.

I have to be in Australia a couple of times a year and on each visit when I am out in the evening I come across Police drink driving checkpoints at least once or twice. They usually have several officers waiting to hand over the breathalyser and a couple of pursuit cars positioned to chase anyone who turns around or disappears up a side road before the checkpoint (if there is one). All done very courteously and efficiently. Some, not all, also have a 'booze bus' parked there to take immediate blood samples if the meter goes too high. Also occasionally the same in the morning to catch those who are driving after a heavy night on the amber fluid.

Visibly enforcing the drink driving laws, and knowing that there is a realistic chance you will be stopped at a checkpoint, is the most effective way of stopping a problem. We don't need a booze bus but if most people are like you, Monkey Boy, and have never heard of anyone being stopped then a percentage of folk will think they can get away with driving over the limit without any chance of being caught.

Edited by manshimajin

And don't forget druggie drivers who are at least as dangerous, but not currently targetted, because of the difficulty in identifying how much they've taken of what.

Drugs are not just for Christmas.....

Perhaps a druggie dog at each drink drive checkpoint?

This must be the third year of mystery fuel thefts and yet despite of all the public appeals they are still none the wiser and they continue without any apparent intervention by the police at all.

I'm sure they have a very good idea as to who is doing them, however knowing who they are and having enough evidence to put before a court are two completely different things!

I'd like to know how you would stop the fuel thefts? Mrs Smith rings Police one day to say that her oil tank has run out despite it only being filled up 2 weeks ago. So at some point in those 2 weeks, someone has stolen the oil. Where do the Police start??

I'm sure they have a very good idea as to who is doing them, however knowing who they are and having enough evidence to put before a court are two completely different things!

I'd like to know how you would stop the fuel thefts? Mrs Smith rings Police one day to say that her oil tank has run out despite it only being filled up 2 weeks ago. So at some point in those 2 weeks, someone has stolen the oil. Where do the Police start??

The police have made a sort of start by asking people with Watchman monitors to check them frequently, this could obviously reduce the time between the theft and its being reported to them and give better chance of detection, maybe?