Council Against New Next Store Plans

Next store on the Spring Valley Industrial Estate.  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Douglas Council is against plans for a high street retailer to open a store on the Spring Valley Industrial Estate.

http://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_186087.html?utm_source=Isle+of+Man&utm_medium=twitter

Next has submitted a planning application for the a store selling household and decorating good as well as children's clothing.

The local authority says the area is zoned for the sale of bulky good, and that children's clothing contradicts that.

The Council's Policy and Resources Committee wants the planning application to be referred to the Council of Ministers.

The same site is also currently subject to a planning application from Curry's and PC World.

Next already has a store in Douglas Town Centre on Strand Street.

Hidden attempt to protect strand street businesses or genuine planning objection, that is the question...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What if they just sold clothes for fat kids?

maybe they didnt have the right shade of brown envelope

As long as I can shop Online and don't have to go anywhere near Douglas, I'm not bothered where they are located.

Will it be a genuine opportunity to find further employment for manx workers or just another licence to grant three dozen work permits to eastern europeans on minimum wage?

Edited by Lxxx

Douglas Council is against plans for a high street retailer to open a store on the Spring Valley Industrial Estate.

The local authority says the area is zoned for the sale of bulky good, and that children's clothing contradicts that.

Looking at Strand Street - did their plans have that zoned for annihilation?

Maybe it's too expensive for Next to rent in Strand Street,so moving out to Spring Valley is best for them,the Corpy must be afraid of losing the rates,the way things are going in Strand Street,there might not be enough shops left to warrant spending millions on it,so with every shop that goes,the Christmas Tree gets worse,and a few less lights to go up.

I can see a million being spent on a roundabout at that junction soon, then traffic lights, then a cobbled roundabout (and i don't mean the stones).

Those retail units just aren't big enough and niether are the car parking spaces, even Lidl/Aldi have bigger 'retail' stores across!, look at PAH, the car parl where next will be going is already full of cars (probably staff) from PAH!

Guest Buddysmum

Next have been over here for years - surely they must be a "local" company by now? The first shop was next to where Boots is now - that'll be Charles Alexanders place now I think? Showing my age.......!! But they've survived for a long time so are obviously popular. I've brought two or three bits of furniture over the years from the Next Directory, including a sofa last year. it's a bit of a leap of faith if you can't actually see the item and try it out, but so far we've had no problems with any of the furniture from there - and it's all been bought on 12 months interest-free credit which is a good deal. I'm not sure why they want to share the store with baby and children's clothes though - that has quite a big area in the shop in Strand Street, it's only the homeware bit that's short on space.

Isn't Spring Valley under Braddan Commissioners? How can Douglas Corpy complain??

yes it is. Funny really how the corpy complain about this, but were willing to be part of the grand opening of the Pets at Home store next door. Why were they opening it anyway? Me thinks Pets at Home don't know their own address. Braddan not Douglas. Edited by Burt