Council Against New Next Store Plans

Next store on the Spring Valley Industrial Estate.  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Planners have refused Next Plc’s application for the use of a retail warehouse for the sale of furniture

http://www.gov.im/li...ersrefusene.xml

Planners have refused Next Plc’s application for the use of a retail warehouse for the sale of furniture, household goods, decorating items and children’s wear at Unit 1, Spring Valley Industrial Estate, Cooil Road, Douglas.

The application for a Certificate of Lawfulness (PA 11/01594/LAW) was unsuccessful because many of the goods, in particular, the children’s wear, were not considered to be bulky. Government Policy supports retail sale of bulky goods in out of town locations, but seeks to maintain the sale of clothing and other types of comparison goods within existing town centres so as to protect their vitality and viability.

Michael Gallagher, Director of Planning & Building Control commented:

“Although as planners we are keen to support economic growth, it is important that this is in a way that does not undermine retailing in Douglas and other Town Centres. This proposal did not comply with the conditions of the existing planning permission for the site which was granted after a Planning Appeal in 2010.”
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What if they just sold clothes for fat kids?

maybe they didnt have the right shade of brown envelope

As long as I can shop Online and don't have to go anywhere near Douglas, I'm not bothered where they are located.

read this lol

http://programx.co.uk/2012/01/another-uk-venture-bites-the-dust/

opening lines are.-

The Isle of Man is just one big cartel. In fact, calling it a big cartel is inflating its importance, and therefore the importance of the jumped up bureaucrats who justify their existence by wielding their little hammers in musty chambers..

well true i thinks

hahahh you do have a point slinky. however as you can buy a single can of beans at Agrimark. A single screwdriver at B and Q or a little mamster at Pets at Home i would say Next will get planning no problem

say again??, it must be douglas protecting the low street, use our shops or don't have one. the rules have been changed now without actually being changed??!!! it won't be long before we have our own import duty to combat internet sales whilst shopkeepers get a concession and don't have to pay. welcome to the future comrades, lube up...

i think it would be good idear if all these uk firms come over and rinse there money. the

uk would love all the vat money to

Uh oh! I thought you'd f***ed off for good biggrin.png

nop i'm still on mf . happy new year to my small nerd friend matt the tw**

Edited by theman

How more stupid and contradictory can our 'planners' get? Will Next now close down their Strand Street store (I would if I was them) and throw a few more locals out of work. My wife recently received their latest double catalogue and spends mega with them on the internet. Very efficient service. Bet if Dandara had made the application it would have sailed through!!

Guest Buddysmum

How more stupid and contradictory can our 'planners' get? Will Next now close down their Strand Street store (I would if I was them) and throw a few more locals out of work. My wife recently received their latest double catalogue and spends mega with them on the internet. Very efficient service. Bet if Dandara had made the application it would have sailed through!!

+1

Hope Next appeal against this ridiculous decision.

Very short sighted imo, as numerous posters have said all that will happen is the money will still be spent with next but on the internet, and the few people who may have benefitted by way of employment will not now be able to. The only people who will benefit from decisions like this are the post office and couriers. Retail on the island has been let down by having no foresight and no plan and is now in such dire straits that it probably cannot be revived !

• Like 1

As many have pointed out Pets At Home could have equally traded on high street, however rent is far to high hence why choosing an industrial estate!, same for next surely?, this island is arse backwards.

As many have pointed out Pets At Home could have equally traded on high street, however rent is far to high hence why choosing an industrial estate!, same for next surely?, this island is arse backwards.

Like I said they're dickheads this lot in planning.

• Like 1

Very short sighted imo, as numerous posters have said all that will happen is the money will still be spent with next but on the internet, and the few people who may have benefitted by way of employment will not now be able to. The only people who will benefit from decisions like this are the post office and couriers. Retail on the island has been let down by having no foresight and no plan and is now in such dire straits that it probably cannot be revived !

What? You mean cos next have had a planning application turned down all the other shops on the island are going to close?

Very short sighted and a missed opportunity that may have attracted other stores to the Island.

nail/head! they don't want anymore offshore stores to set up here as they are trying to protect the local/existing shops that we feel charge us too much.