Taxi Drivers - Poor Standards Of Driving & Law Breaking

I would definitely complain to the licensing authority about the last point mentioned. Unless the driver was private hire and not ply for hire (hackney) then I wouldn't bother, private hire just requires that you pass a basic test and you can work for a local firm.

It would be nice to know if there are any work permit requirements around this and whether local residents have priority over foreign drivers taking to the wheel.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The traffic warden does enforce this rank. About a month ago I was listening to a taxi driver in the A1 office moaning that he was given a parking ticket for doing exactly what you have just described

Leave poor Lonan alone. he's got the balls to come on here and say what he does and get exposed to various moans. At certain times of the day there are more cabs than customers. In which case they sit

So why is that local taxi drivers (So called Professional drivers - as described by themselves) seem to think they are above the law and can pretty much do what they want on the roads ?? Here are som

Posted Images

Well jump, most taxi drivers are self employed and the work permit application form is here http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/ded/WorkPermits2011/frm20111006cea4workpermitselfem.pdf

My understanding is that drivers are not well paid unless they own the vehicle and that reduces the number of people interested in working especially when you could be working unsociable hours ferrying drunks around. My guess is that an overseas driver with a strong work ethic would be prepared to work cheaper than a local.

The best/worst ones I've experienced lately are the pricks who just stop beside their mates in the line at the Villa because they're too bone-idle to park properly and get out of their car. No indication, nothing, just stopping half-in, half-out of the left hand lane going towards Broadway, lowering the window and chatting away. Obviously you have to stop for these dickheads as you have to be aware of others in the right hand lane and cannot just drive around them. Now this has happened to me a LOT so it probably happens to many others too.

Arseholes.

Now to the 'Old Git' No comment, except to say that I'm amazed that you've found an improved standard of driving by doing that - genuinely!

I firmly believe that taxi drivers are just like any other cross section of society - there are good ones, average ones and downright bad ones. The same goes for police drivers; I was almost knocked over on the crossing by Paparazzi one evening by a police van running the red light. I've also been rear ended by both police and taxis.

I've been in your taxi a couple of times from the Victoria St rank and that was fine. I've also been driven home from the Victoria St rank at an indicated 55mph along the prom and that wasn't so fine. I was glad to get out in Onchan and later phoned my mate to check he'd made it home safely in the same cab on the way up north,

My impression is that the Victoria St rank is a lottery of good / average / bad drivers and that Elegance (my mate has an account there now since he gave up driving) is at least average with no noticablly bad / dangerous drivers.

Just wrote a long post and then deleted it after reading Lonan3's post.

I've had some bloody awful taxis, some felt unsafe (not suggesting they weren't though, i'm not a mechanic), some drivers smelt of BO (far worse than ciggies), some sped by massive margins (one reaching near 60mph in a residential area, albeit the car was so comfortable it didn't feel much more than 30mph!), some stuck to the speed limits (rare), most choosing to however between 35mph-40mph (whilst this is technically illegal at no point did I feel any drivers were driving beyond their limits)

Apparently at a Taxi rank you cannot choose a taxi, you take the first one that is available (at the front), something quite often I don't do which did cause problems, my main reason for doing that is I refuse to use one company who drives mostly Mercedes and charge more than most, for which I experienced a less than 'premium' service.

Unfortunately a +1 here for regularly seeing taxi drivers driving awfully. Speeding, not indicating, running lights, you name it. I am thoroughly surprised there aren't more accidents involving them.

On the other hand, I've also had some LOVELY taxi drivers over here. Chatty, happy, good drivers.

Nitro - I am going to answer for everyone in that the type of car is inconsequential to the amount charged as it is set by local government. Not the Island, London or any other district in the UK have extra charges for different types of vehicles unless it is an 8-seater or something.

It is illegal to charge more than what is set by local government and if a driver said to me "that's an extra fiver because it's a merc" I wouldn't pay it not now or ever.

Edited by JumpUp

The best/worst ones I've experienced lately are the pricks who just stop beside their mates in the line at the Villa because they're too bone-idle to park properly and get out of their car. No indication, nothing, just stopping half-in, half-out of the left hand lane going towards Broadway, lowering the window and chatting away. Obviously you have to stop for these dickheads as you have to be aware of others in the right hand lane and cannot just drive around them. Now this has happened to me a LOT so it probably happens to many others too.

Arseholes.

Even other taxi drivers (Such as myself) find this annoying. It's nothing more than laziness and ignorance and it really annoys me. Though it is unfair to tar us all with the same brush, there are good and bad taxi drivers out there. As far as the comments regarding foreign drivers who speak very poor English and have very poor road knowledge, I completely agree and have no idea how they actually get a taxi badge.

When a driver first starts working in Douglas it's rather a steep learning curve and no matter how well you think you know Douglas you will always get caught out. The difference between a good driver and a bad one is that a good one will admit he doesn't know the route and actually ask the passenger whereas a bad one will try to blag it. I've never yet had a negative reaction from a passenger when I've had to own up that I don't actually know where a certain address is, they are always happy to help. I know most of you will refer to the knowledge test as an indication that we should all know the area intimately before getting behind the wheel but life just doesn't work like that.

• Like 1

I get about 2 taxis a year even if im really pissed i begrudge paying the modern day Dick Turpins. Get it deregulated and lets all have a piece of the action il take a plate and bring the prices right down. Come on IOMG its time now.