Taxi Drivers - Poor Standards Of Driving & Law Breaking

BladeRunner - yes there is an equivalent knowledge test for Hackney carriage on the Island, another reason why the Island is divided into four parts as it could be quite a job knowing the quickest routes for Ramsey if your born and in bred Peel.

Do operators get 25% of the fare from Private Hire here like in the UK??

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The traffic warden does enforce this rank. About a month ago I was listening to a taxi driver in the A1 office moaning that he was given a parking ticket for doing exactly what you have just described

Leave poor Lonan alone. he's got the balls to come on here and say what he does and get exposed to various moans. At certain times of the day there are more cabs than customers. In which case they sit

So why is that local taxi drivers (So called Professional drivers - as described by themselves) seem to think they are above the law and can pretty much do what they want on the roads ?? Here are som

Posted Images

What gets me is the ones doing a Douglas to Ronaldsway run, & vice versa...When empty they* drive like loons - it's as if they are attempting the World Record for how many vehicles they can overtake in a single journey. But when they have a POB, they seem to do their best Driving Miss Daisy impression...

* Please Note: Not tarring all Taxi Drivers with the same brush

Oftern wondered why the police dont have speed traps on the mount murray straight early in the morning a taxi passed me doing about 90 one day. A few years ago my mate used to "RENT" a plate of another taxi company for £35o a week this is why they need to be de regulated.

Nitro - I am going to answer for everyone in that the type of car is inconsequential to the amount charged as it is set by local government. Not the Island, London or any other district in the UK have extra charges for different types of vehicles unless it is an 8-seater or something.

It is illegal to charge more than what is set by local government and if a driver said to me "that's an extra fiver because it's a merc" I wouldn't pay it not now or ever.

Thats very interesting, I used to get charged a different price by most taxis despite leaving from the same point and arriving at the same destination, some were upto £1 more, more often than not it was 20p more, although some taxis used to do a U turn then park up but that shouldn't cost an extra 60p........

I would definitely complain to the licensing authority about the last point mentioned. Unless the driver was private hire and not ply for hire (hackney) then I wouldn't bother, private hire just requires that you pass a basic test and you can work for a local firm.

It would be nice to know if there are any work permit requirements around this and whether local residents have priority over foreign drivers taking to the wheel.

I think all taxi drivers have to be licensed over here, no Hackneys.

Lonan, I know what I see on a daily basis and it is above the minority who take the piss for their own self importance.

I can put my camera back in the car and record some of the shit they pull on a daily basis if you really want to push this wink.png

Please, please, please, please, please!! I would LOVE to see it and I'm sure Duke video would buy the rights and distribute it!

I know this is slightly off topic as it's not strictly about taxis, but.....

With the antics / behaviour / downright stupidity I seem to be seeing on a daily basis, I am seriosuly contemplating fitting a dash cam. They are becoming pretty much 'standard' in some parts of the world, and a quick t'internet trawl leaves me never wanting to drive in Russia!!

This morning going down Ballaquayle Road from St Ninians, cars coming up were queing back past the yellow hash box at the bottom of that triangle piece of grass thing. Some asshole in a quasi-jeep thing, undertook three cars which were patiently waiting behind the box, driving along the pavement in the process and proceeded to pull up behind the first part of the queue, partly blocking the yellow box. WTF?

It would have caught that little piece of brilliance and I would have happily sent it to the Police, for at least a bollocking for them.

Patsy said he/she would like a taxi plate,well it's quite easy,apply to the RTLC,giving evidence and producing witnesses to show why you need one,then appear at the meeting which will discuss your case,that is the easy bit.

Next,IF you get one allocated to you,after doing the area test etc,you provide a car,equipped with a meter,signs,and a test certificate from the test centre,you will be on the road,to do all that work which you assume is there,oh by the way if you have a fulltime job at the moment,when you become a taxi driver,you may need that to supplement the taxi job,as you will find once you start paying for fuel,insurance,[this will open your eyes as to the price]garage bills for the year,wear and tear is higher on taxis,big milages etc.

Then when you go home after a long night for some sleep,remember it's time for the day job,but be careful one may affect the other,how do I know all this,I done nearly 40 years as a taxi driver/owner.

PS,after a few months,you too will object to more licenses being given out by the RTLC like confetti.

Them doing U turns over the zigzags into the bustop outside Jaks gets my goat, on top of all the other stuff they get away with.

Minority my arse.

How do you mean getting away with it?

What actual offence have they committed doing a u turn?

Im pretty sure that a u-turn on a zebra crossing or the zig-zag area either side of a zebra is illegal

Them doing U turns over the zigzags into the bustop outside Jaks gets my goat, on top of all the other stuff they get away with.

Minority my arse.

How do you mean getting away with it?

What actual offence have they committed doing a u turn?

Im pretty sure that a u-turn on a zebra crossing or the zig-zag area either side of a zebra is illegal

But its not a 'zebra crossing,' is it? Its got traffic lights on it.

Edited by Endovelicus
  • Like 1

Picture this situation, a pedestrian approaches the crossing heading towards strand street; seeing only a taxi a distance away from the right and nothing coming from the left, the pedestrian (out of courtesy) does not press the button as it makes driver's piss boil having to wait at a red light when there is nobody about.

The pedestrian crosses the left lane in good time to clear the taxi and looking left there is still no traffic, the taxi then swings hard right in a U-turn and beeps wildly at the startled pedestrian as if they are in the wrong.

Seen it twice outside Jaks.

It might not be an offence in itself but for a pedestrian to have to look over there shoulder to see a U-turning taxi bearing down on them must not be very nice.