Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Mr Ecks

Taxi Drivers - Poor Standards Of Driving & Law Breaking

post-16422-0-61580900-1326593503_thumb.jpg

Here's an absolute beauty for you all. Not one taxi driver out there can defend this one and I managed to get a picture for you all (albeit a bit grainy) Even my girlfriend commented how bloody disgusting this was and how dangerous.

Place - The pelican crossing at Jaks on the prom.

Scenario - The spaces that are marked for motorcyles etc was free of vehicles. A taxi was parked up on the outside of these spaces (The normal traffic lane) and was right upto the stop line at the pelican (driver wasnt in the vehicle)

Another taxi (white minibus) was parked alongside (in effect triple parked) with its hazard lights on and also up to the stop line therefore totally blocking the pelican from view.

What were they doing ?????

Busy having a chat.

How do I know ? cos I went and asked him why he was blocking the crossing that we were about to use. And guess what ............................ He was foreign and didnt understand what I was trying to explain. I explained it was a serious offence and he just carried on talking and turned away from me until the driver of the other cab (The one parked on the zig zags) told him he'd better move.

You can see clearly from the picture that his hazards are on as the drivers side indicator is lit along with the ones on the back (before anyone claims he was merely sat at the lights waiting. Also the pelican is clearly on green.

What an A**hole.

• Like 1

Ah, but Lisa, why would any driver procrastinate on your journey home? For thou are truly nuts. Hence shortest route, for sure :) ...

Yoda x ...

• Like 1

post-16422-0-61580900-1326593503_thumb.jpg

Here's an absolute beauty for you all. Not one taxi driver out there can defend this one and I managed to get a picture for you all (albeit a bit grainy) Even my girlfriend commented how bloody disgusting this was and how dangerous.

Place - The pelican crossing at Jaks on the prom.

Scenario - The spaces that are marked for motorcyles etc was free of vehicles. A taxi was parked up on the outside of these spaces (The normal traffic lane) and was right upto the stop line at the pelican (driver wasnt in the vehicle)

Another taxi (white minibus) was parked alongside (in effect triple parked) with its hazard lights on and also up to the stop line therefore totally blocking the pelican from view.

What were they doing ?????

Busy having a chat.

How do I know ? cos I went and asked him why he was blocking the crossing that we were about to use. And guess what ............................ He was foreign and didnt understand what I was trying to explain. I explained it was a serious offence and he just carried on talking and turned away from me until the driver of the other cab (The one parked on the zig zags) told him he'd better move.

You can see clearly from the picture that his hazards are on as the drivers side indicator is lit along with the ones on the back (before anyone claims he was merely sat at the lights waiting. Also the pelican is clearly on green.

What an A**hole.

Pah, Foreigners!!! What was he ?

English ,Irish , Scotch ??

Edited by homarus

I get rather annoyed when I walk past the taxi drivers milling about outside the Airport entrance in the smoking den, gossiping and swearing as if they were in their own front room. Oblivious to the public waling past. Although there are some very good taxi drivers there are also those who can reasonable be described as the lowest form of life.

Edited by carbon selector
  • Like 1

Another 2 pictures to add to the evidence pile. Taken on the prom yesterday.

Sorry about the poor quality.

Pic 1 - taxi facing oncoming traffic illegally parked on zig-zags by Jaks with full beam on blinding everyone heading towards him - Then behind him is another taxi this time facing the correct way yet still illegally parked on the zig-zags.

Pic 2 - More of a common sense and thought for other road users picture this one. 2 taxis parked opposite each other dropping off their customers and causing the potential for other vehicles to have a head on as they squeeze through the gap left. So much for the Professional driving standards.

I appreciate that normal road users also do the stupidest of things but taxi drivers describe themselves as "Professional drivers" and therefore like any other industry or business etc they should be held accountable and should set an example to other road users.

post-16422-0-12960600-1326663494_thumb.jpg

post-16422-0-19744000-1326663512_thumb.jpg

The first one - its really not clear whether he's parked inside the zig-zags (i.e. the parking area) or not. I'd have to reserve judgement. What I can say, is that he's certainly not 'parked' - maybe dropping off or picking up pre-ordered customers, because there's no roof sign, which means its a private hire rather than a taxi.

As for the second - they look like they're picking up or dropping off outside the Empress (again, not 'parked' and I think we should, in all fairness, make that distinction) and, if I was a customer, I'd expect them to be at the Empress - not a hundred yards down the road in the nearest space.

Sorry if that rains on your parade, but I think the poor quality is more to do with your subject matter than the pictures themselves.

He was parked and sat there for over 5 minutes and was ON the zig zags. He had large A1 sign on the doors of the car which you can see better if you zoom in on the image. You can also just make out the Painted start mark for the zig zags just in front of his bumper.

So by your reply you feel its ok to park facing oncoming traffic with full beam on and sat on the zig zags at a pelican ?? Plain bloody dangerous and illegal - end of.

The second one I take it you also seem to feel that its ok to put everyone else on the road at risk instead of stopping short by a few yards !!!

If I was a customer I would expect them to pull up safely to protect myself alighting the vehicle and for the safety of other road users.

We all need one at some point or other, but you can never get one when you need one. And why do they insist on keeping their 'for hire' light on when they have passengers?. Why are they so rude (not all)? Why is it they have 'no smoking' signs plastered over their cab yet smoke in them themselves?

And lastly, why does a minicab here cost twice as much as one in Manchester or Liverpool?

We all need one at some point or other, but you can never get one when you need one. And why do they insist on keeping their 'for hire' light on when they have passengers?. Why are they so rude (not all)? Why is it they have 'no smoking' signs plastered over their cab yet smoke in them themselves?

And lastly, why does a minicab here cost twice as much as one in Manchester or Liverpool?

The light in the roof sign automatically goes off when you switch the meter on. And why does a taxi here cost half of what it does in London?

I didn't know there were any 'minicabs' here. I've never seen one.

A minicab is technically a private hire taxi and costs the same as a hackney that you can flag down. Same meter, same tariff.