Chief Minister Takes Part In Top-Level Discussions At Bic Summit

Amadeus

From Twitter

@juanwatterson: I could get used to being chauffeur driven through Dublin right up to the steps of the plane (no search!), sharp contrast from bus ride home.

I hope that means he's going to stand for the Dáil.

Well, the irish did also have a massively bloated and high paid (still is afaik) civil service so maybe Mr Bell was getting advice...

They have been taking pay cuts and increases in pension contributions as have the irish politicians. Maybe that is what Mr Bell wants to find out about.

Let's face it, it is good for the IOM to be represented and for networking to take place.

So long as it's ben noticed that the IOM is actually there - our delegation didn't get a mention on RTE News - maybe they think we're part of the Channel Islands!.

I hope that means he's going to stand for the Dáil.

Surely he won't be standing after getting chauffeur driven right up to the steps of the plane? Sit for the Dáil.

Actually this could be a real money-spinner for Bee Gees Global Airport - a service to bring HNWIs to the steps of the plane without a security search. Add on, unquestioned planning permission from Ding Dong. Starts to make an attractive package. Anne Reynolds serving champagne from her slipper at the foot of the steps...

Actually this could be a real money-spinner for Bee Gees Global Airport - a service to bring HNWIs to the steps of the plane without a security search. Add on, unquestioned planning permission from Ding Dong. Starts to make an attractive package. Anne Reynolds serving champagne from her slipper at the foot of the steps...

How about a free Care Bell soft toy? Rub the pound sign on his tummy and he'll call you daddy and say any one of a number of adorable phrases, including: "do exactly what you want", "vanquish the enemy within!", "We must prepare for challenging times" and, the ever popular "let's build a motorway to Saturn!". Thousands of Ramseyites can't be wrong.

Coming soon from IoM Toy Company PLC:

Action Man Watterson: BA (Hons): Comes complete with absurd military uniform, thrillingly realistic vomit action, Kung Fu masonic handshake, and purrs creepily of its own accord whenever it's the centre of attention.

My Little Corkish: Does absolutely nothing, but comes with an amazing ability to make onlookers say "f*** me! I'd forgotten he got back in!", especially those from Douglas West.

Lil' Helpmate Robertshaw doll: Ask him to do any mundane household chore, and he'll do it, even if he said he wouldn't only a few days earlier!

• Like 1

Coming soon from IoM Toy Company PLC:

Action Man Watterson: BA (Hons): Comes complete with absurd military uniform, thrillingly realistic vomit action, Kung Fu masonic handshake, and purrs creepily of its own accord whenever it's the centre of attention.

My Little Corkish: Does absolutely nothing, but comes with an amazing ability to make onlookers say "f*** me! I'd forgotten he got back in!", especially those from Douglas West.

Lil' Helpmate Robertshaw doll: Ask him to do any mundane household chore, and he'll do it, even if he said he wouldn't only a few days earlier!

Nearly wetted myself laughing

Edited by Freya Q

Wonderful to see our elected representatives mixing it with the big time. Bell and Watterson were certainly in good company - Salmond (in my opinion) a racist, Clegg (in my opinion) a liar, McGuinness (in my opinion) a murderer. Rumour has it that a keynote speech was given behind closed doors by President Assad of Syria with all of the candidates agreeing that this contributed to raising their profiles internationally.

EORH are you suggesting the Island shouldn't be represented at these events? The Island needs to talk to our neighbours about issues of mutual interest. Also we need people making the case for the Isle of Man to neighbouring governments. We are affected by their decisions and can't shut ourselves away and pretend they don't exist.

I like the bit about making the case for the Island,what to a government which is down on it's uppers,and had to be bailed out by the UK because it's part of the EU,all the UK did for us was take money off us,and we are more part of the British economy that Ireland,so maybe Bell was asking the main question,is the UK going to carry on bleeding us,and helping other nations with cash injections.

http://www.manxradio...d.aspx?id=57227

The chief minister has held informal one to one discussions with his political counterparts throughout the British Isles.

Hello my names Allan

Really how interesting, now take my coat and go and hang it up there's a good fellow

I'm the Chief Minister of The Isle of Man

Really how interesting now go fetch me a sherry

The Isle of Man is wonderful

Where?

The Isle of Man

Oh yes the tax haven now run along and fetch me a newspaper there's a good boy

Should I fetch The Sun or The Daily Mail your eminence?

The Times you yokel

Certainly your majesty

JUUUUAAANNNNN!

Yes master

Put that bottle down and go buy a Times for his supremacy, there's a good padawan

Edited by wheels

So long as it's ben noticed that the IOM is actually there - our delegation didn't get a mention on RTE News - maybe they think we're part of the Channel Islands!.

I don't think we were mentioned on the BBC either. That is fairly understandable though: as a legacy of the troubles the BIC is very much a British/Irish/Northern Irish deal (hence the name). It's reasonable that Scotland and Wales are involved and helps avoid the impression that the whole thing will be dominated by the interests of Westminster and the Republic, but the presence of the Channel Islands and us is a mere courtesy and a nod towards being inclusive.

That this is the case can be seen from the area of responsibility the Island has within the Council: 'Telemedicine' and 'digital inclusion', topics so specific and marginal that we might as well be in charge of the buffet. For comparison, Scotland and Wales have Social Inclusion, the United Kingdom has the Environment, the Republic of Ireland deals with the misuse of drugs, and Northern Ireland's area is Transport. I'm not entirely sure why we weren't jettisoned years back and the BIC reduced down to the main players and devolved nations.

Interestingly, the Channel Islands have been allocated slightly broader, more interesting areas than we have, those being the knowledge economy and tourism for Jersey and Guernsey respectively. Given this, It's hard to avoid the impression that we're regarded as the least credible of all the Council's members, including the other crown dependencies.

From our perspective it's probabty good that we're a part of the BIC in so much as it gives a forum where we can talk with other governments, but I can't see that we actually bring much to the table or are taken very seriously.

Edited by VinnieK

I don't think we were mentioned on the BBC either. That is fairly understandable though: as a legacy of the troubles the BIC is very much a British/Irish/Northern Irish deal (hence the name). It's reasonable that Scotland and Wales are involved and helps avoid the impression that the whole thing will be dominated by the interests of Westminster and the Republic, but the presence of the Channel Islands and us is a mere courtesy and a nod towards being inclusive.

That this is the case can be seen from the area of responsibility the Island has within the Council: 'Telemedicine' and 'digital inclusion', topics so specific and marginal that we might as well be in charge of the buffet. For comparison, Scotland and Wales have Social Inclusion, the United Kingdom has the Environment, the Republic of Ireland deals with the misuse of drugs, and Northern Ireland's area is Transport. I'm not entirely sure why we weren't jettisoned years back and the BIC reduced down to the main players and devolved nations.

Interestingly, the Channel Islands have been allocated slightly broader, more interesting areas than we have, those being the knowledge economy and tourism for Jersey and Guernsey respectively. Given this, It's hard to avoid the impression that we're regarded as the least credible of all the Council's members, including the other crown dependencies.

From our perspective it's probabty good that we're a part of the BIC in so much as it gives a forum where we can talk with other governments, but I can't see that we actually bring much to the table or are taken very seriously.

And what exactly is the IOM doing back home about telemedicine and digital inclusion - never mind telling other countries how to do it?

I see there is a ' war or words' on Scottish Independence and insults have been traded with Alex Salmond in Dublin castle.

Sounds like a good meeting.

EORH are you suggesting the Island shouldn't be represented at these events? The Island needs to talk to our neighbours about issues of mutual interest. Also we need people making the case for the Isle of Man to neighbouring governments. We are affected by their decisions and can't shut ourselves away and pretend they don't exist.

You make a good point Declan, but in this day and age, can't this be done via video?