Bell

hagar the horrible

.a 25% cash income cut is an immense amount of money and exceedingly difficult to manage, esepcially difficult if you are not willing to make hard decisions. People like him need to grasp the reality of this.

You cannot lose £175m in revenue and expect there not to be problems.

Don't worry, the reserves wil keep the legions of highly paid Civil Servants in pay and pension for many a year.

Something will turn up before the fortunes are depleted. Maybe.

Meanwhile, Allan Bell is threatening to get tough, really tough, with people on benefits. Apparently because they don't contribute to society. Hmmm, I could point to a few Civil Servant who would fit that bill likewise and are probably extracting out of the pot 10 times as much as someone on benefits.

Edited by carbon selector
  • Like 3

Don't worry, the reserves wil keep the legions of highly paid Civil Servants in pay and pension for many a year.

Meanwhile, Allan Bell is threatening to get tough, really tough, with people on benefits. Apparently because they don't contribute to society. Hmmm, I could point to a few Civil Servant who would fit that bill likewise and are probably extracting out of the pot 10 times as much as someone on benefits.

And perhaps that other Great Untouchable, the Farming Subsidy might stand a bit of scrutiny as well.....?

In the cases I was hearing of a couple of days ago, long, long thousands of pounds a year paid out, based on previous head numbers of livestock that are simply no longer farmed.

But then we are talking about a protected species here (and it ain't the animals....)

But then we are talking about a protected species here (and it ain't the animals....)

So what do you want, unprotect them.. how?

Merely questioning, Are the amounts being paid to them relevant to what they're actually doing, in these straitened times? Or do we just keep throwing money at them blindly because they're farmers?

One of the cases I referred to involved a sum in excess of £100k pa - by the man's own admission that was previously calculated on twice the number of livestock he now farms. Is it time to reassess these figures a bit more regularly? I don't see any harm in it, after all the annual total sum is something like £6-7m a year..?

• Like 1

Means test them: why should working people's money be redistributed to people like the Kerruishes, who are fecking loaded.

Now Annie's out, that's one less vote against means testing farmers for their dole. Just Anderson, Gawne, Quayle and Christ knows how many others left

It is not just the farmers. I understand that farmers get subsidy for growing grain. Laxey Flower Mill is subsidised for processing it. I was told Ramsey Bakery got grants from the old DTI for their factory to make bread.

Now we pay over £1.50p for a loaf of bread after we tax payers have already subsidised it three times over. And Ramsey Bakery bread is the dearest bread in the British Isles.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I really think the people are being shat on from a great height.

• Like 2

Cutting our cloth and getting rid of 20% of the CS/PS salaries would free up one hell of an amount of development and 'moving forward' money. That will build immeasurable confidence.

The more likely result would be further problems for the housing market.

People need to get a hold of reality on the Island. The reason we struggle to pay for our Public Services is because we dont raise enough tax.

This is the entirely predictable result of basing the economy on a low tax regime.

There are avenues open to us to raise tax revenues and we should consider them. (Hint: Look at what action OECD recommends and what figures in our GDP calculation go untaxed. )

Edited by Freya Q

And perhaps that other Great Untouchable, the Farming Subsidy might stand a bit of scrutiny as well.....?

In the cases I was hearing of a couple of days ago, long, long thousands of pounds a year paid out, based on previous head numbers of livestock that are simply no longer farmed.

I thought they were paid on acreage now rather than per head.

Big farmers get big subsidies.

In liverpool they earn 16k a year. Its complete and utter knob heads like Bell that are keeping the wage structure as it is. Ed Milliband and the rest of them will come looking for our reserves shortly. And its the UKs money in our reserves be very clear about it.