Vehicle Duty Order 2011

From here: http://www.tynwald.o.../ept170112a.pdf

The Vehicle Duty Order 2011 has been prepared for two reasons. The first to continue to maintain the value of general revenue derived from vehicle duty and to provide funding for road safety measures. Secondly to start to address the anomaly that occurred when emission-based duty was introduced in April 2010, which means that two identical cars can be charged different rates of duty.

Whilst the Department understands that vehicle operating costs are continuing to increase, when general standards of living are not, I am sure that Hon. Members will understand that many highways need to be repaired and therefore it is essential that the income generated from this duty continues to meet inflationary costs. Therefore a general increase of 6% is proposed.

Right, hold your DOI horse cart for a sec there.... Cretney admitting that "general standards of living are not increasing"? That's some confidence. Anyroads, as we are being assured that "the amount which will be received will be £11,253,277 and every penny will be applied to road maintenance, because anybody who drives on the Island’s roads presently will know that there is work required in some areas. We have to prioritise that, of course." I was wondering: couldn't they make 6% savings within the DOI and scrap the increase? You know as "general standards of living are not increasing"?

Also, reading through the act, does it mean all cars will be taxed on engine capacity from 2013-14 unless duty on CO2 emmissions is cheaper for that particular vehicle? Sounds like a good thing?

I think I bought my old Merc a month too late to benefit from this - got it in May 2010, and am paying £450 tax (ridiculous) based on the emissions.

That's not the way I was reading it Stu, but it is quite confusing.

It is felt that when the two phases have been completed, all vehicles registered on

the Island from October 2008, when CO2 emissions were first recorded, will be subject to the same rate of

duty.

"the amount which will be received will be £11,253,277 and (virtually) every penny will be applied to road maintenance, DOI Overtime, teabags, milk, sugar and 10am pasties.......

Fixed............

Wonder how many more Richmond Hills they can make out of this little clawback....?

It gives me a feeling of enormous well-being, knowing I'll be paying to help keep all those DOI jobs safe for another 12 months....Think there's any chance of MHKs having a 6% hike in their pension contributions......?

Edited by Non-Believer

and to provide funding for road safety measures.

That'll be £3,000,000 on Richmond Hill and £300,000 roundabouts on quiet rural roads then. FFS!

I think I bought my old Merc a month too late to benefit from this - got it in May 2010, and am paying £450 tax (ridiculous) based on the emissions.

I've bought cars for that never mind paid that to tax one! Based on the state of the roads here that is a complete joke it shouldnt be anywhere near that to just keep a car on our appalling roads for 12 months.

Edited by hboy

Also, reading through the act, does it mean all cars will be taxed on engine capacity from 2013-14 unless duty on CO2 emmissions is cheaper for that particular vehicle? Sounds like a good thing?

Certainly reads that way...

Phase 2 of the process of getting most vehicles on a similar charging basis would be introduced in 2013-14, when vehicles brought into the Island but irst registered elsewhere, between 1st April 2008 and 31st March 2010, will be moved to duty based on engine capacity, unless the duty based on CO2 emissions is lower.

In addition, vehicles registered on the Island between October 2008 and March 2010, for which CO2 data is held on the register will be moved onto the CO2-based duty, if the vehicle would attract a lower rate of duty based on emissions.

So it looks like they intend to offer the lower tax price (if applicable) to cars registered in the Island after between 01/04/2008 and 31/03/2010 provided CO2 data is available. "Available" presumably means if the CO2 value is printed on the registration certificate.

To answer GD4ELI, the rates are on pages 3 and 4 of the VL1 form from the post office. http://www.iompost.c...ommercialgo.pdf

Edited by BigDave