Local Produce

Despite all the boats in Ramsey at the moment I have not come across a chippy using locally caught fish. Where are the local catches ending up?

Thinking about food now...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's been rumours for years that the Calf of Man is really some kind of Jurrassic Park experimental set up.   I had my doubts, till I saw the Cafe at the Sound selling Brontosaurus burgers.

Creamery cheese is nasty, rubbery, bland stuff, sometimes flavored with peppercorns, chilli, Branston so that it tastes of something. I quite agree - some craft cheeses, goat, cow or even sheep would

Surely if you reared them they wouldn't be wild would they? You never here of wild sow either, only boar. You'd think they'd die out, wouldn't you.

Take a bus or tram from laxey to ramsey and you will see dozens. They have increased dramaticaly over the last 20 years and are now pests. They need culling. And goat meat is delicious, free range, free of added chemicals, An opening here for some enterprising poacher..

Plan to see more tomorrow, weather should be decent. Will probably stop at Cornaa and walk south towards Dhoon glen.

Haven't been on a tram for at least 40 years, prefer walking. Really must go on that tram one last time...

Can you park for free at Douglas MER station / or Laxey maybe?

Most of the fish seems to be bycatch from the dredgers, so monkfish etc although Port St Mary Chippy seems to sell locally caught Callig. If you want manx fish you can usually get it from Paddys but you will have to ask whats local as majority seems to be imported.

Despite all the boats in Ramsey at the moment I have not come across a chippy using locally caught fish. Where are the local catches ending up?

As far as I'm aware no Manx boats fish for fish as stocks are all but depleted.

So scallop dredge instead.

As far as I'm aware no Manx boats fish for fish as stocks are all but depleted.

So scallop dredge instead.

Are there many areas that they cant dredge? That TV program was quite shocking, showing the damage they do to the sea bed.

No Manx boats have any fish quota, they sold it off and concentrated on shellfish

The little amount of by-catch is snapped up by the fish merchants and passed on to their favourite customers, like Tanroagan

The other problem is even when you can get local fish it may not be what you want and if there is a run of bad weather then nothing comes in

Frozen at sea is your best bet unless you have the rescources to get a boat, buy a very expensive license and buy some quota

Robinson's do local bananas. Well, they say Ballapadag so I assume they are local.stuart.gif

Don't know about local produce but I felt sorry for the coachload of visitors in Ramsey on Sunday,

the sweet shop on market square that sells Local icecream was closed.

Why do people take on these businesses and then close @ week-ends.

I remember a shop / cafe on the market place years ago called Sharp's Bazaar

they did a roaring trade with the coaches

I've just been looking at the hampers on the mostlymanx site. They look quite nice. Can someone please tell me where the tea and coffee plantations are on the island?

Fairy Bridge Tea - plantations just off to your left.