Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

It all seems a bit nudge nudge, wink, wink, are we sure this isn't a red herring to distract from the Hon. Minister of Home Affairs. I still think A.B. would have replaced him but the thought of the talents or not of the repolacements stopped him.

If this is true, then I'm sure whoever it is is genuinely sorry (or will say they are once their name goes to the media), is young, has learned a lesson and promises not to do it again. Let's move along now, nothing to see here

There seems to be wide spread and intense speculation regarding this alleged incident

I talked with several people yesterday who thought it was a serious matter

On a more general point we have seen instances in Ireland, in the Channel Islands and in the UK where local law enforcement officers have been placed under enormous presure when asked to investigate inappropriate behaviour by people in positions of 'authority'. This is not just child abuse but also tax avoidance, corruption, even motoring offences.

The unfortunate thing is that if there are cover-ups, situations can fester up until the point that they ultimately become a major scandal.

Is there any way that matters like these can actually be appropriately investigated without interference - or even for the investigating authority actually to be willing to push for the truth?

Whilst we in theory have an independent judiciary and police force the track record would indicate that this may not always be the case if certain 'pillars of the community' are involved.

• Like 1

No one is above the law.

Unless they are on the top deck.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
  • Like 1

On a more general point we have seen instances in Ireland, in the Channel Islands and in the UK where local law enforcement officers have been placed under enormous presure when asked to investigate inappropriate behaviour by people in positions of 'authority'. This is not just child abuse but also tax avoidance, corruption, even motoring offences.

The unfortunate thing is that if there are cover-ups, situations can fester up until the point that they ultimately become a major scandal.

Is there any way that matters like these can actually be appropriately investigated without interference - or even for the investigating authority actually to be willing to push for the truth?

Whilst we in theory have an independent judiciary and police force the track record would indicate that this may not always be the case if certain 'pillars of the community' are involved.

+1000

• Like 1

Maybe we would be a better community without pillars like them.

We'll never know...

Only if it is proved to be untrue surely?

If it is true, it is only true for one of them, not all 24. The other 23 have been, quite wrongly, lumped in with the one the allegation actually focuses on.

When I studied law (many years ago), I recall the lecturer explaining that you cannot defame a group of people. Thus, the other 23 cannot sue for defamation. This reminds me of the brave newspaper editor who ran a front page splash along the lines of "Half of the council are stupid idiots!". Some councillors took umbrage and complained threatening all sorts of legal trouble, so the canny editor to his credit offered to make amends with another front page splash to withdraw the previous statement. The offended ccouncillors were happy with that result (i.e. craven giving-in) until they saw the next splash which read, wait for it... "Half the council are not stupid idiots!".

• Like 2

Only if it is proved to be untrue surely?

If it is true, it is only true for one of them, not all 24. The other 23 have been, quite wrongly, lumped in with the one the allegation actually focuses on.

When I studied law (many years ago), I recall the lecturer explaining that you cannot defame a group of people. Thus, the other 23 cannot sue for defamation.

You want to go and ask for a refund of your course fees mate. Dr Gonzo mentioned the Banbury CID case earlier in this thread. It was versus the News of the World and you should look it up, it shows a group can sue for defamation, and win.

Are we to assume that this will just go away? I too have heard the stories and from many sources, but I'm not brave enough to put it in type. If true the press will also of heard these stories and will now be investigating; Yes??