Went to the new cafe/eatery opened up on the site of the old Dukes Diner today

Very nice decor inside, fantastically quick service for a lunchtime and the food was well priced, tasty and just the right size to feel full at lunch but not need an afternoon nap under your desk afterwards.

Heartily recommend it - just don't try and have a pudding as well. Mate had a waffle and it was massive, tasty but you'd need to be rolled out.

• 5 months later...

Did not get a chance to have any food so cannot comment.

Went there today and placed order at till before taking a seat, was then asked to move seats because it was 'reserved' by someone else who was waiting to place an order at the till. Informed them that as a customer who has already paid that I am entitled to the seat, was asked to leave and given refund.

A shame really as I heard that their cheese-stakes are very good but won't be going there, having any client meetings or recommending the place after this example of customer service.

I've been in around 6 times since the start of TT week. Good food and reasonable prices.

They never used to have the prices outside, which used to put quite a few people off I think.

Not had any problems with seats, except one time in TT week when it was stuffed full.

I like the way they keep changing the menu - not massive changes but enough of a mix up to make me want to try new things

Went there today and placed order at till before taking a seat, was then asked to move seats because it was 'reserved' by someone else who was waiting to place an order at the till. Informed them that as a customer who has already paid that I am entitled to the seat, was asked to leave and given refund.

A shame really as I heard that their cheese-stakes are very good but won't be going there, having any client meetings or recommending the place after this example of customer service.

Personally if I had got my table and returned to find someone else had pinched it, I wouldn;t be best impressed...

Its not all that, frozen chips in any eatery is unexceptable.

Also i would prefer it if they washed their fruit and veg before serving it up on a plate.

Much nicer places to eat in the town.

• Like 1

Whilst I have issues with a Philly Cheese Steak being served in a Ciabatta.. the food is hot, served promptly and pretty good. I must confess that I too share reservations about frozen chips, there simply is no excuse for them.

I like the setting, the Flat Whites are excellent.. there's just something lacking overall in as much as the place could be REALLY good.

ah... what lunchtime diner in douglas does hand cut chips?

I hate to get into this with you as i feel it is just encouraging you, but here goes;

Its pretty erelevant what other diners are doing or not doing.

Frozen chips are a cop out, i feel cheated to be served up frozen "anything" when eating out. Some people might not be bothered by this, you obviously are not judging by some of the places you big up.

You seem to have the palate of a junk food addict, so i am not in the least surprised by your opinion. But thats just what it is "a junk food addicts opinion".

• Like 1

Personally if I had got my table and returned to find someone else had pinched it, I wouldn;t be best impressed...

if you haven't paid yet and aren't waiting for your order, how can it be your table?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I walked past Downtown a few mornings ago at about 1130 and there were staff and chefs sat outside or hanging around the front door smoking and chatting whilst commenting on any pretty ladies walking past.

Not the sort of image I would want for my business and it's put me off going in there to try the food.

Edited by mbx