Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx1Bloke

Today In The Keys - Are Any Dept Soc Care Residential Homes To Close?

One of the problems looming is the old age care of those who won’t have any savings, private pensions or property to sell. Some through no fault of their own, but others being the result of a generation or two with a lifetime of not working.

Those who have spent their lives paying their own way and even in old age, having to continue to pay out for the idle.

Then there will be the result of the ever increasing family split ups. One parent here, another parent there. How can you care for both, however willing, when they’ve split up? People could end up with aged parents plus three or four lots of in-laws. Who will care for all these people?

It’s a complete mess.

One of the problems looming is the old age care of those who won’t have any savings, private pensions or property to sell. Some through no fault of their own, but others being the result of a generation or two with a lifetime of not working.

Those who have spent their lives paying their own way and even in old age, having to continue to pay out for the idle.

It’s a complete mess.

Addie, 'twas ever thus in the Welfare State. But I'd rather that we don't have old people in abject despair as they come to the end of their lives. If it would help if I pay for my own care I am content to do this. It is a mess, but one that IMO reflects society's mess in general.

In the end we would still probably end up with a two-class system but maybe a bit better one for all that.

I can think of little more depressing than the elderly feeling despair or an expensive nuisance in their final years. They have enough to cope with.

But I can see it coming down the line.

Surely it isn't just ill health that drives old people in Old Folks Homes, but poverty too?

Not enough state pension to heat a home and eat too for all those who worked when paying into a private pension wasn't an option and the housing boom passed them by and/or their savings have been abused by the banks and/or used up to subsidise their life.

When public funded pensions are finally stopped - except for elected and non-elected politicians - and all young folk have to work until they die and for the guilt ridden aged survivors, voluntary euthansia and swiss style death clinics become the norm, there'll be less need for care for the aged.

I can't see that joining the Unite crew whose purpose - let's face it - is saving their jobs, help the lot of the aged one iota.

I can think of little more depressing than the elderly feeling despair or an expensive nuisance in their final years. They have enough to cope with.

But I can see it coming down the line.

Surely it isn't just ill health that drives old people in Old Folks Homes, but poverty too?

Not enough state pension to heat a home and eat too for all those who worked when paying into a private pension wasn't an option and the housing boom passed them by and/or their savings have been abused by the banks and/or used up to subsidise their life.

When public funded pensions are finally stopped - except for elected and non-elected politicians - and all young folk have to work until they die and for the guilt ridden aged survivors, voluntary euthansia and swiss style death clinics become the norm, there'll be less need for care for the aged.

I can't see that joining the Unite crew whose purpose - let's face it - is saving their jobs, help the lot of the aged one iota.

Addie,I have amended your post to show you why you and I and indeed every citizen of "Fantasy Island" should mak an attempt to force these arrogant people to realise that their gravy train, has finally hit the buffers.

Leg Co has to be the first to take the hit IMHO.

Most of them are a prime example of how this place ended up in the cack.

Retired Police Businessmen,political dynasties Et;c that have and are sucking the Island dry on a daily basis ny way of massive salaries, and non contributory extortionate pensions, often a second, or third in certain cases at, the cherry that has become overipe.

Austere times are upon us but who is going to take the hit? evidently non of these parasitic opportunists.

Before any one attempts to defend MHKls or MLC;s package, work the figure out for yourself-- scary amounts of all our cash/

They are closing care homes/reducing all front line staff/slashing pemsions, but have yet too make any similar attempts on politocal reform on any way.

Shameless.

Get yourself outside Tinpot land on March 6th and show them the game is up.

Steve Salter does not have to extend an invitation by the way. .

• Like 2

Just wondering, how many of the demonstrate on Tuesday brigade have actually been inside Glenside and what they think of the place? I'm waiting for someone who had a relative in there to come on here and say how wonderful the place is. Surely some people who read this have first hand experience of visiting relatives in the general & EMI units? Steve Salter is there to support the staff, not the standards of care.

I don't think people have to wait until the 6th if they want to demonstrate, unions don't have the monopoly on demonstrating, budget day could be a good day to go and make some noise & steal the limelight away from Eddie and Alan.

I also don't think that this is about unions or fucking union leaders, this is about showing this government that although there may not be an opposition within Tynwald due to everyone including Peter Karran having a job in Bell's rainbow government, this is about showing all of them that the opposition is right outside the doors of Tynwald.

Cost of manx gov care home residence

http://www.gov.im/so...al_care.xml#top

How much will it cost?

The current rate is £421.75 per week, plus any Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance you are in receipt off. It is reviewed every April of every year. You may be entitled to financial help, you should discuss this with your social worker before you enter the home.

What do I get for that?

You will have your own centrally heated room with a call button for emergency use and staff available 24 hours a day. You will be offered a choice of meals 3 times a day and the facility to make drinks or snacks whenever you want. Should it be necessary, staff are available to assist you to dress, bath, move around and assist with your meals.

Edited by wheels

when is the protest?

It was on MR this morning,it's tomorrow at the House of Keys,by the staff so the news said.

They should do it again next week at Tynwald,BUDGET DAY,if enough people turn up to heckle them,and they see the size of a demo,they will get the wind up and uturn,remember it's votes that count,even though they are in for 4 more years,time moves swiftly,and the thought of losing the gravy train is not worth contemplating.

• Like 1

Perhaps someone here could answer the following question and confirm or deny one rumour that is circulating.

Was a deal already agreed with developers before any plan was devised for the closure of Glenside?

Was it Chris Robertshaw who said it is a large plot and might be suitable for sheltered housing? I seem to remember somebody saying that recently in an interview. That seems like a good idea if the government owns it.

There certainly isn't enough sheltered housing here, that there Robertshaw man is very good.

• Like 1

The Hon. Member for Douglas North (Mr Henderson) asked the Minister for Social Care Chris Robertshaw whether any of his Department’s residential homes are due to close in the next twelve months.

CR said Glenside was not going to close immediately but then provided information about the rebalancing going on so that as of 2014 it would close and no new admissions will now be accepted so a gradual process will take place with people moving to other places, such as Southlands. He is providing a press release and details regarding his answer.

Are you surprised?

How else can we slowly create places in DD built and owned private residential homes paid for by us at full private rents instead of government running the infrastructure at places like Glenside? Its called saving money for the taxpayer. Outsource at 50% more cost but do it under a contract so the accountants can say that its not a fixed cost.

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Another cutting edge report from Radio Pravda

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=57940

There has been criticism of the Department of Social Care since last week's announcement the Glenside residential home will close by 2016, as part of an overhaul of adult social care.

Funny I thought it was 2014

Shimmin as Home Affairs Minister....

Just wondering, how many of the demonstrate on Tuesday brigade have actually been inside Glenside and what they think of the place? I'm waiting for someone who had a relative in there to come on here and say how wonderful the place is. Surely some people who read this have first hand experience of visiting relatives in the general & EMI units? Steve Salter is there to support the staff, not the standards of care.

Salter is starting to lose his way a bit and forgetting what his role is. He should be protecting the rights of employee's rather than trying to knock Government policy (no matter what department) at all times.