Thank God For Manx Forum

I'm well aware that the island and Greece are poles apart. I'm talking about the principle. We're now seeing police and politicians in Greece standing up to the troika and voicing their concerns over the direction it is heading, (only because their pensions and jobs are being threatened granted) but it's still a start. If the army start to refuse to serve the criminals above them, then it will go to the next level.

The difference in the situation is so vast that any comparison is meaningless, nevertheless here's an example:

• Greek pensions are now lost. Many Greek government employees have not been paid for several months, on Radio 4 a family doctor was explaining how he has not been paid for two months and is having to pay for medicine himself in cash.
  • The Isle of Man has it good, low unemployment, an economy that functions, NO DEBT!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every five years we have the opportunity to vote for members of the House of Keys to Tynwald. The parliament. However it is not a democratic parliament because the Tynwald has one third of its members

Back to the point, what can we do about it? Wait over 4 years for another general election? Setup a co-op paper?   A few months ago I tried to get the occupy movement rolling over here - most of the

My old man was well aware of the disgusting way Jews were treated. He told me how they were forced to send their own to hell so save their lives. But equally he told me that the Manx should stand up t

And we have to appreciate that there are very few regular posters on here despite the forum being highly visible on the internet. We have to accept that the vast majority of the population do not spend even a small part of their lives thinking about, worrying about, caring about or even being vaguely aware of political issues. MF posters are not about to take over the world.

Were the moderators up to their job then MF would have a better profile. The moderators only seem to step in when advocates surface...

Better discipline would be appreciated by myself at least.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If I had a £1 for every time I've heard the phrase 'heavy handed moderation' I'd be quite wealthy. :)

They do take action on posts that get reported, if you find something objectionable then make them aware of it. Likewise if a certain poster is behaving in a manner that breaches the T&C's, let them know about it.

I can see things from both sides, having worn the moderators hat in the past. I've not noticed any drop in the efficiency of the mods in recent months, I've reported a few things and they've been dealt with.

Manx Radio does not read out pertinent e-mails on talking heads in case they upset their political subvention funding task masters.

That's a complete and utter outright lie and I'd like you to retract it without delay. The ONLY emails I don't read out on Talking Heads are from people that I'm aware are awaiting trial who have an axe to grind, those which are designed to cause widespread offence or those people who appear to have mental health issues. I make it a point to read everything that arrives in time, even emails and texts that belittle or irritate me.

I back Stu up,I occasionally send texts in and they are read out by him.This past week they have not been read out though.

Which category did they fall under this time? wink.png

I thought I'd do a Gigi reference here but never really thought about the lyrics much. What a peculiar song.

THANK HEAVEN FOR LITTLE GIRLS

Each time I see a little girl.......................

Those little eyes

So helpless and appealing

When they were flashing

Send you crashing

Through the ceiling

Did you change the lyrics deliberately so that it would convey a sinister meaning relating to paedophilia? It is in fact "ONE DAY will flash and send you crashing through the ceiling" i.e when she's grown up.

Nah, I just cut and pasted it from somewhere. If you google my version you'll find it's written thus on several sites. It's still peculiar, whichever version is correct. And it's silly to boot.

"That's a complete and utter outright lie and I'd like you to retract it without delay. The ONLY emails I don't read out on Talking Heads are from people that I'm aware are awaiting trial who have an axe to grind, those which are designed to cause widespread offence or those people who appear to have mental health issues. I make it a point to read everything that arrives in time, even emails and texts that belittle or irritate me."

Fair Dinkum. Retracted.

I'm well aware that the island and Greece are poles apart. I'm talking about the principle. We're now seeing police and politicians in Greece standing up to the troika and voicing their concerns over the direction it is heading, (only because their pensions and jobs are being threatened granted) but it's still a start. If the army start to refuse to serve the criminals above them, then it will go to the next level.

The difference in the situation is so vast that any comparison is meaningless, nevertheless here's an example:

• Greek pensions are now lost. Many Greek government employees have not been paid for several months, on Radio 4 a family doctor was explaining how he has not been paid for two months and is having to pay for medicine himself in cash.
  • The Isle of Man has it good, low unemployment, an economy that functions, NO DEBT!

I didn't compare the two, re-read my posts.... and get off your high horse. I merely mentioned Greece is the front line of where this whole economic crisis is going, and if they roll over and get screwed by the IMF then the domino effect will cascade throughout europe, including the island. If they take a stand now it may follow a different path.

The standard of debate has never been lower on the forum and it's never been as ineffectual.

Is anything really different to a year ago, two years ago, or even back during the forums early days? A quick look through the archives suggest not. Were things really better during the days of Vader, FCMR, Rog et al and the fairly regualar fueding that would take place (and which everyone seems to mysteriously forget as they get older)? For that matter, were the forums really regarded any more seriously back then? Of course not.

It's easy, too easy, to happily succumb to the idea that there was some golden age which has now passed, not least because it's vaguely flattering to those who were there at the time. But it's just not true.

The forums have their good sides and their bad sides, as has always been the case. For my money, the only difference between then and now is that some of us have come to expect far too much from it. Criticising the forums as being 'ineffectual' or more given to a high standard of debate in the past nicely embodies this in my opinion.

It is and always has been a place where a fairly disparate bunch of people come to share their opinions, vent their frustrations and/or criticisms out in the open, and where they can do so in a fairly unregulated environment. Some times this will lead to a productive and interesting debate, but a lot of the time it will not, and I don't see why anyone would expect otherwise. Conversations veer away from the original topic, personalities come into play, various parties will get carried away digging into the details of arguments opposed to theirs in an attempt to undermine them, and passions will become inflamed. That's not the forums: that's just life. Also, it has to be realised that each thread is not typically one conversations but many; the average poster doesn't contribute with the gallery in mind, but to reply to another individual point of view. Hence threads naturally become fractured the longer they go on.

None of this is particularly remarkable, or even confind to discussions on the internet. What is noticeable about the forums is how common it is for people to complain about this or that without doing anything to improve them: People moan about how a discussion has diverged from the original topic, yet rare are the attempts to bring them back on track; and people complain about how personalized discussions become, but few actually bother to ignore it and try to restore objectivity to a debate. The same holds equally true for complaints of how critical the forums are, or how the forums have lost some of their original, light hearted tone. Instead of actually trying to make a difference, it seems like a lot just roll their eyes, give up, and retire to a pedestal from which they can issue ccassional jibes about how "that's the forums" in a smug tone of exasperation.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 1

......... LEGCO has an actual vote in the decisions of Tynwald and unless both chambers agree a motion falls.

It's a good topic you have raised and your post covers many separate subjects.

However, I would just like to correct you slightly on the above point, in that although a motion would fail if voted against by the Legislative Council, this is only an initial defeat. The Legislative Council veto was removed by way of an amended Constitution Act half a century ago (give or take a few weeks in fact).

If the House of Keys lost a vote to the Legislative Council it can - within 6 months - reintroduce the motion and have it voted on by Tynwald as a whole. Thus, with 18 votes in the House of Keys, they can be assured to defeat an against vote by LegCo.

Edited by lisner