I've had problems (MT) since the weekend

Slows so much it almost goes backwards then all is tickety boo for a while

Only me on it - secure network

Not dling anything

Am in our beloved capital

Anyone else had this?

Have done the usual, rebooted router

Shouted at it etc etc

Had the very same issues in Ramsey via Sure. It comes for a while and then it feels like I'm on dialup again. Both over Wifi and Gigabit Ethernet on Mac, Windows and Linux, tried my other router too. >.> Silly internet.

That's MT's Next Generation Network for you... ;) What router are you using? Are you on ADSL, VDSL? Are you with MT, Sure, Wi-Manx, Domicilium etc?

On a side note, I have found that my trustworthy and reliable ASUS WL600G router (Broadcom chipset) has been fluxuating between speeds from 16000kbps to 10000kbps on a hourly basis in some cases.

So I swapped it with an old Netgear DG834Gv2 (Texas Instrumentals chipset) and what can I say, speed has been consistently 16000kbps for over 24 hours now.

Now one can say that maybe the router is failing, but seriously, a device which has been stable for over 4 years it will either fail or carry on, not all of a sudden have issues??

Also at work we've gone through Thomson, D-Link and Billion routers, and guess what, Thomson are the only routers that work without a hitch on MTs network.

Pretty poor in my opinion from MT's side to spend all that money on upgrading their network and to only have one device working without any problems!

Yep - I also have a crap connection at the moment (and it's been like this since last Thursday evening) & sounds just like the problem you are having wheels. I'm also in the Douglas area. I emailed Sure. No reply - so I'm gradually summoning the willpower to phone them.

Edited by ed fournier

Yes I'm on Sure with a Thomson router,it was like dial up over the weekend,yesterday I couldn't get my emails page up,haven't tried today.

Checked on both wifi and ethernet cable both no good,yet the speed came up 6.63mbps,which is good for me,Douglas area just on outskirts.

Yep - I also have a crap connection at the moment (and it's been like this since last Thursday evening) & sounds just like the problem you are having wheels. I'm also in the Douglas area. I emailed Sure. No reply - so I'm gradually summoning the willpower to phone them.

One of Sure's DNS servers went bang as a knock on from some MT kit failing. They say they've put workaround in place to avoid the duff server but it appears some kit doesn't pick up the settings (mine inluded).

Go into your IP settings on your machines and manually specify the dns servers as 212.30.16.252 and 212.30.8.250 until they get it fixed. Estimated time to fix was 7 days so should be resolved early next week at the latest I'm told.

Edit: If your router config is set up to automatically assign IP addresses to client devices (usually the default) and it allows you to manually specify the DNS servers in the router's IP settings it should go there instead in the meantime, then revert back to automatic next week.

Edited by BigDave

Thanks for the tip - you're a genius. Sorted now.

One of Sure's DNS servers went bang as a knock on from some MT kit failing. They say they've put workaround in place to avoid the duff server but it appears some kit doesn't pick up the settings (mine inluded).

Go into your IP settings on your machines and manually specify the dns servers as 212.30.16.252 and 212.30.8.250 until they get it fixed. Estimated time to fix was 7 days so should be resolved early next week at the latest I'm told.

Edit: If your router config is set up to automatically assign IP addresses to client devices (usually the default) and it allows you to manually specify the DNS servers in the router's IP settings it should go there instead in the meantime, then revert back to automatic next week.

Edited by ed fournier

Just to register my frustration too. If matters persist more than a few minutes I always swutch off and reboot everything but lately no joy. I'm on wi-fi and have to say that the connection is usually excellent. I'm not sure if that makes up for the crap times or not.

I always imagine it is kids in the street playing games or downloading music or something, that is taking up the local bandwidth. I'm not sure if that can happen or not anymore.

Just to register my frustration too. If matters persist more than a few minutes I always swutch off and reboot everything but lately no joy. I'm on wi-fi and have to say that the connection is usually excellent. I'm not sure if that makes up for the crap times or not.

I always imagine it is kids in the street playing games or downloading music or something, that is taking up the local bandwidth. I'm not sure if that can happen or not anymore.

Surely we'd be past that in this day and age, but then again, this is MT we're talking about. I tend to get consistent high speeds on mine, whether or not big downloads are happening (tends to be Steam and Linux) and usually people don't grumble about that young whippersnapper "using all the internets." I think we've just been unlucky enough to have various things at exchanges etc. and in datacentres blowing up and taking out other things too.

Carbon, what are your sync speeds in the router config? Are they as high as usual? If not, you may have a duff ADSL filter that won't help. Also, have any neighbours changed their wifi channel etc.? Baby monitors and cordless phones love to annoy Wi-fi too.