Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Amadeus

An Idea For Public Transport

An idea for public transport  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How about a system whereby you buy a book of tickets for say £2.00 each. You then wait at a bus stop and anyone with a private car can stop and if they are going to or nearby the same place, can give you a lift in return for one ticket. The driver can then cash that ticket in for, say, £1.50 to put towards his petrol costs, or use the tickets himself sometime.

All the fat ugly people will be left standing in the rain.

No, we will just have to keep driving our cars

In Dehli we played a game called "How many can travel in an auto-rickshaw back to the hotel?"

This depended on:

a) how pissed we were - usually very

b) how tolerant the driver was - usually very

c) how desperate the driver was for business - usually very

Until one evening we were overtaken by another auto-rickshaw carrying an entire family who all had their feet resting on a very large pig. We gave up at that point safe in the knowledge that we had been totally upstaged by something we could never hope to match.

Auto-rickshaws are absolutely brilliant. You could clean up...

I have a feeling that guy who keeps writing into the paper about Filipinos would be against Jeepneys.

Not seen it. What's he writing?

Not seen it. What's he writing?

http://www.iomtoday....ctims_1_4100110

What a narrow-minded, sad individual. Nice blinkers on display there and nothing short of very embarassing, if not worse - is that what the Global IOM is all about?

It would be good if once they go, they stayed there. This would ease the burden they present on our public services, leave vacancies that Manx people could fill and bring further relief on the jobseekers market.

That bit clearly shows the dear Mr John Craine doesn't have much of a clue about things on this little Isle - I'm sure some of the Filippino staff at the carehome he will eventually end up in will be happy to explain it to him.

mad.gif

What's stupid about it? I'm not proposing bringing Jeepneys as they are over, although I'd love that, too. More the idea behind it - hop-on-hop-off cheap public transport. We could be the first place to have a small fleet of electric vehicles for this purpose, leading the field.

Ah, just noticed: we don't do "leading in anything", "change" or "innovation". Sorry, I forgot....

Not sold on Jeepney's, but I am sold on the idea behind it.

Public transport isn't working; it's too expensive and inconvenient, so isn't being used. The result of this is existing routes are being canned because of lack of use and the cycle continues. For example, my daughter has a saturday job, and wants to bus to work from Onchan. There's around 4 busses that go through Onchan at 8:15 ish, and nothing until after 9. Bloody stupid.

So the Jeepney idea, smaller buses, more frequent and less constrained is definitely a good idea. They do seem to be going towards smaller buses now, but the price is going up and they're becoming less frequent.

The solution: make them free. They're currently free to OAP's and virtually free for kids, make them virtually free for adults too. Issue a card to everyone that gives them say 1 hour of bus travel a day free, anything over that comes off your pre-paid card.

Didn't Chuck Berry sing about the young monsieur and mademoiselle having "A souped up Jeepney ...." in "You Never Can Tell"?

The solution: make them free.

I don't think the term 'austerity' includes giving away another £2M a year, on top of the £6M they already lose a year.

I don't think the term 'austerity' includes giving away another £2M a year, on top of the £6M they already lose a year.

The finances would need adjusting for sure, but at least the money would go towards something that's actually used.

Are you Tommy Cooper?

If finances could be adjusted 'just like that' we wouldn't be in the crapper.

The finances would need adjusting for sure, but at least the money would go towards something that's actually used.

Didn't Chuck Berry sing about the young monsieur and mademoiselle having "A souped up Jeepney ...." in "You Never Can Tell"?

Same idea, but its called a 'jitney' in America.

If finances could be adjusted 'just like that' we wouldn't be in the crapper.

Personally think there's a long term view to be taken with austerity measures. It's foolish to pay so much for an innefective public transport system while faced with rising infrastructure costs.

Better to adjust, even if that results in a higher cost for the public transport and make the savings elsewhere.

There's too many cars on the road, that comes at a cost, improving public transport should result in a saving all round. Besides, I think your figures are simplistic, if we introduced 'free-ish' like I suggested, the increased use with smaller cost per user might balance things out a bit closer.

Reducing the service and increasing the cost to the user isn't going to make it more successful.