New Linkspan

surely just to see if they need to replace the existing one on the south side of Victoria Pier....

surely just to see if they need to replace the existing one on the south side of Victoria Pier....

Credit is due to Zac Hall for drawing out information about the harbour plans re deepening and new linkspan etc. The reply was:

"The Department’s Harbours Division is presently finalising the outline masterplan for the development of Douglas outer harbour and has consulted with harbour users and other relevant stakeholders, including the Department of Economic Development. Once the plan has been further assessed, particularly with respect to the wave climate inside the harbour in adverse weather, it will be presented to the Department forconsideration. Once the Department has approved the masterplan, copies and appropriate briefings will be made available to the Council of Ministers, relevant Government Departments including the Department of Economic Development, as well as the stakeholders that have been involved in the development of the plan to date."

Zac also made statement inside question about process of renegotiating or renewing UA. He said, and got answer from CM, as follows:

"It has often been said that there is only room for one ferry operator to serve our Island. That being the case, is it not that we need competition for the market, not necessarily in the market? Would the Chief Minister therefore agree that competitive tendering could be the way forward, have a role to play, for a proposal for arrangements to manage and deliver the provision of sea freight and passenger services? More specifically, would he agree that the process of negotiating any extension or renewal of theUser Agreement should follow a wider call of interest and negotiation with a wider group of potential

providers of such a service?"

The Chief Minister: " I think the question, Mr Speaker, assumes there is a queue of potential operators out there ready to step in and take over from the Steam Packet. If the Hon. Member has identified that queue, I think that we would be very interested to hear it."

There have been recent attempts to compete with Steam Packet. Open call for expressions of interest to provide the service using the long-history Steam Packet brand is now made it seems to me.

As Professor Baird, Steam Packet Select Committee Advisor said in 2008:

“competitive tendering, which is now a standard approach to Island ferry operator selection, could help bring about a more optimal solution in terms of overall ferry service provision, perhaps even resulting in more modern vessels being deployed as well as service enhancements….. (and) ….conversely, the continuation of a single “negotiated agreement” between the Department of Transport and one foreign-owned ferry service provider may not be the most optimal solution”

Edited by Chris Thomas

Credit is due to Zac Hall for drawing out information about the harbour plans re deepening and new linkspan etc. The reply was:

"The Department’s Harbours Division is presently finalising the outline masterplan for the development of Douglas outer harbour and has consulted with harbour users and other relevant stakeholders, including the Department of Economic Development. Once the plan has been further assessed, particularly with respect to the wave climate inside the harbour in adverse weather, it will be presented to the Department forconsideration. Once the Department has approved the masterplan, copies and appropriate briefings will be made available to the Council of Ministers, relevant Government Departments including the Department of Economic Development, as well as the stakeholders that have been involved in the development of the plan to date."

Zac also made statement inside question about process of renegotiating or renewing UA. He said, and got answer from CM, as follows:

"It has often been said that there is only room for one ferry operator to serve our Island. That being the case, is it not that we need competition for the market, not necessarily in the market? Would the Chief Minister therefore agree that competitive tendering could be the way forward, have a role to play, for a proposal for arrangements to manage and deliver the provision of sea freight and passenger services? More specifically, would he agree that the process of negotiating any extension or renewal of theUser Agreement should follow a wider call of interest and negotiation with a wider group of potential

providers of such a service?"

The Chief Minister: " I think the question, Mr Speaker, assumes there is a queue of potential operators out there ready to step in and take over from the Steam Packet. If the Hon. Member has identified that queue, I think that we would be very interested to hear it."

There have been recent attempts to compete with Steam Packet. Open call for expressions of interest to provide the service using the long-history Steam Packet brand is now made it seems to me.

As Professor Baird, Steam Packet Select Committee Advisor said in 2008:

“competitive tendering, which is now a standard approach to Island ferry operator selection, could help bring about a more optimal solution in terms of overall ferry service provision, perhaps even resulting in more modern vessels being deployed as well as service enhancements….. (and) ….conversely, the continuation of a single “negotiated agreement” between the Department of Transport and one foreign-owned ferry service provider may not be the most optimal solution”

I see Mr Corkish is following up Zac Hall's questions this week in Tynwald:

29. The Hon. Member for Douglas West (Mr Corkish) to ask the Minister for Infrastructure

When the last full survey was undertaken and by whom of: (a) Victoria Pier; and (b) King Edward Pier; and what the maintenance costs have been of both piers over the past five years; what future maintenance work has been identified to be undertaken and at what likely cost; and whether his Department has a long-term strategy for Douglas Harbour?

Edited by Chris Thomas

I think a new linkspan is a great idea. The place i would like to see it built....... RAMSEY!

And no, I'm not from Ramsey, but I think it might provide a few more jobs to the area add some life. They could contribute the money in that they will use to save the old decrepit pier.

maybe a ferry from Scotland? Nearer than England.

Scotland? Population 5M out of UK's 60M and another 400 miles to get to where most people would need to be? I hope not.

By the way, anyone know where I can sign up to join the fight for Scottish independence?

if they excavated half of that flipping car park they might find some harbour underneath (I'm sure there used to be some there) ..

the bit between the two piers was once Circus Beach (so named from the late 19thC advert visible here as you came into the newer Victoria Pier (the old red pier was later extended and became the Edwd VII pier - usually where Ben docks) - it is also the site of the rocks on which the fishing fleet was wrecked as they tried to enter harbour in 1787

I think a new linkspan is a great idea. The place i would like to see it built....... RAMSEY!

And no, I'm not from Ramsey, but I think it might provide a few more jobs to the area add some life. They could contribute the money in that they will use to save the old decrepit pier.

Ramsey dries at low water. Both Mezeron's "Silver River" and Ramsey Steamship Co's 'Ben' boats take the ground. An awful lot of dredging would be needed for a deep water ro-ro berth in Ramsey, and if you are going to do that anywhere, Peel might be a better bet. The saving on Irish crossing time and fuel would be significant.

However, I really struggle to see how the government can justify any major ports infrastructure improvement at present, given the economic downturn. How about putting commercial port operations at Douglas plus the ferry service out to tender, with the interested parties free to propose solutions utilizing other IoM Gov owned ports if they wish?