Education Chiefs Plan Nursery Closures

x-in-man

Makes interesting reading! Rich v poor ... working v stay at home parents ... no preschool =abuse missed, health issued missed by qualified teachers .. according to Facebook nursery prevents children turning into criminals of the future... wonder how many of you attended nursery, and how that shaped your future? Nursery is a wonderful place, children learn how to behave, play, use imagination, what to expect from school, teaches them to get up and go in the mornings, I think the reception classes will suffer without the nursery in place, which will impact on the next year, it will alsso impact on the health service, as health visitors will have to check on children and refer where necesssary But this campaign does not need those who support it squabbling amongst themselves, show some real facts and figures, proof where its needed, only then will the mhk's listen to the people!

The UK gave working moms vouchers to use against any registered childcare provider - child minder/ private nursery etc... to the tune of 5 x 2.5 hours a week - these could be used as 2 full days plus 1/2 day or a reduction in fees -- Its true that those paying into the system should be able to access the same services, and this needed to be looked at - however - it does not make the decision to close them right.

I'm more than happy to take care of my own children, and have done so for many years - thank you - we couldn't have afforded it either - but there are plenty of services that will be impacted on this decision, should be take away midwives because not everyone uses those services? If we are to believe many views nursery was used to help other professional services assesss children for other services - this will still need to be done - to what financial cost?

So many people are still missing the point. It's not about the parents. It's not about whether the mum deserves 2 hours off a day to watch Jeremy Kyle or go and work for a living. It's not about what the dad earns. It's about the KIDS!!! If you look at the rules for prioity of admission for the pre schools it goes (or went) something like this: children with special needs, children with specific social or behavioural problems, children with English as a second language, children who live in the home with a family member who has a serious disability, child subject to child protection plans etc etc. These are the kids that need it most and these are the families who will lose out. Yes parents can do a lot to prepare their kids for school but regardless of whether parents either CAN'T or simply WON'T I don't think the kids should suffer.

• Like 2

hsid, I'm not sure you really know what constitutes nursery education. Have you ever had kids (I doubt it from the "you had them now look after them") that have gone to a proper nursery school? Do you really think a mother and toddler group is the same thing? Do you just think it's child minding?

Tough luck

I don't need to deal with it doc. My family has grown up and left home. However I think "free preschool education" is much more accurate that "free childcare". Of course, I realise if you can make us think it was just childcare, it's much easier to dismiss the idea of it all.

How is it generations have managed to develop without the need for pre-school ? Listening to Tynwald there was some ridiculous comments for supposedly inteligent people. Parents seem to think the world owes them for having children, I see the howls aboout changes to child benefits has started, tough I should not pay you for having children so scrap child beneifts completely.

• Like 1

I am a mother of three, this preschool did not exist for my first child, so he went to playschool (a nominal fee payable) for a couple of hours in a morning. I went on (as I could afford to - for the benefit of the critics) to have two further children. Due to where I live there was no provision for pre-school nursery, however there was in the next villiage along. I applied, not because it was a "free child care service" but I beleived it would benefit my child when he started school, and both my "subsequent children" benefitted from the facility, they made friends and were prepared emotionally (ie not sobbing and clinging to my leg) for when they started full time at school. I will not lie, they were not streets ahead of other children in their class, so I think it was of no great academic benefit, as the reception class at school these days has taken a step back from when my first child went to school (there is a 6 year age gap between my first child and my first "subesquent child") in that they do no "teach" as such anymore, but do more play based work to nurture the child on. I do think it is a shame that the provision is going, however as has been stated, it was a postcode lottery, I was very lucky to have my children accepted. I will protest however to those who continually spout off that it is free child care for lazy ass mothers who cannot be arsed to bring up their own children.....it is not like the child gets dumped off for a whole day.....it is - at maximum 2.5 hours a day, you cannot really do much in that time, considering 10 to 15 mins to drop off, then 10 - 15 mins to get home, about time to pop a wash on, have a quick brew and then head off again to pick them up. The benefits of having these facilities in the schools is the resources that are available in a school rather than resources available in a church hall. I find myself sort of in the middle on this decision to be honest...I appreciate times are tough, very tough and "non-essentials" have to be reviewed, but I am sure there are many more "non-essentials" in government that could be cut, rather than the loss of this provision (which I am sure the majority would be willing to pay, for their child to attend), but even more, the loss of the family library and the mobile library...I sometimes worry, whether the release of this info was strategic and meant to cause hysteria, to blow smoke and take the heat of another pending decision by the government, which may be just as devastating to some, but not as emotive....

• Like 3