Gravy Train Gets New Engine?

Albert Tatlock

Well you've got to laugh. I've seen the problems first hand and it is funny.

It even came with the wrong connections for our rolling stock.

Are the problems easily solveable or do we basically have an expensive bit of kit that is not going to be fit for purpose for a considerable time. Things like connections I can see as being ease to resolve but an over heating engine would appear to be a major flaw in the design. I understand the engine is water cooled now I am not an engineer but I would have thought to increase the cooling would be a major issue as presumably unlike an air cooled engine it is much hard to increase the flow of coolant.

The fact that after the Minister opened his mouth on this on Sunday there has been little or no official comment makes me concerned that they have no indication if and when the problem might be solved.

Engine overheating should be easy to sort unless the engine is underrated for the task and it is being overloaded by the demands. Increasing the cooling capacity is relatively simple and may involve fitting radiators with greater heat exchange area,that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be larger in overall size.

Increases in airflow to the radiators is also relatively simple to achieve,but blowing oil out may indicate a more serious mechanical problem if the engine is pressurising the oil sump and crankcase......We are only guessing though.

ETA:

The fact that after the Minister opened his mouth on this on Sunday

This may be the cause of the overheatingwhatever.gif

Edited by Lisenchuk

>Increases in airflow to the radiators is also relatively simple to achieve,but blowing oil out may indicate a more serious mechanical problem if the engine is pressurising the oil sump and crankcase......We are only guessing though.

Failed head gasket and or cracked liner? Escaping combustion gases pressurising the crankcases.

Doesn't sound good. Very ominous for a 'new' motor.

Have they kept the receipt?

Mr Cregeen said there would be "no cost to the Department."

"It is like when you buy a new car under warranty - so there is no added cost to us".

There really is one born every minute. He's bought a lemon.

The rail company will tire of having to constantly repair and go bust...it's the Bubble Gum machine all over again.

Oh why, oh why do they always favour the highest tender?

TBT

• Like 2

Any overheating engine will lose oil as it's viscosity is lowered making it difficult to contain. But the engine may have blown its head gasket or warped the cylinder head. Either way open engine surgery will be the result. Also an engine overheating in this climate at this time of year is a joke.

Any overheating engine will lose oil as it's viscosity is lowered making it difficult to contain. But the engine may have blown its head gasket or warped the cylinder head. Either way open engine surgery will be the result. Also an engine overheating in this climate at this time of year is a joke.

If it's blowing oil out there's a lot more than plain overheating going on.

Is the engine a Cummins factory reconditioned unit or is it brand new or another option?

Did anyone hear this guy on the radio this morning?

"There is something wrong with it". Just tell us pal, a lot of people on this forum can strip a diesel engine blindfold, no need to be all fucking mysterious.

Despite Marian Kenny trying to find out just what was "wrong with it", in his answers the bloke was as evasive as could be and just waffled. he even said he once had some bus engines delivered that 30% of which were faulty. The guy must be a plank.

• Like 1