Having unsuccessfully looked for a cheap s/h pc (most just ridiculously expensive for 2-3 years old!) I've come across this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoostorm-Desktop-PC-Intel-Pentium-Dual-Core-Sandybridge-G630-2-7GHz-8GB-RAM-1-/280833123434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4162f5646a

Is it worth it?

Thats Via the ebay link, on Ebuyer itself its £219.

another place to look is the dell outlet, http://www.dell.co.uk/outlet

example:

OptiPlex 790 Small Form Factor

Processor: Intel Pentium G620 Processor (2.60GHz, 3MB)

English Windows 7 Professional

4 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)

250 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32 Bit OS)

has a three year next day (on site) warranty, windows 7 professional, and about £260 all in. Very good small desktop too.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

another place to look is the dell outlet, http://www.dell.co.uk/outlet

example:

OptiPlex 790 Small Form Factor

Processor: Intel Pentium G620 Processor (2.60GHz, 3MB)

English Windows 7 Professional

4 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)

250 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32 Bit OS)

has a three year next day (on site) warranty, windows 7 professional, and about £260 all in. Very good small desktop too.

That's a good price price considering its got an OS with it aswell, well unless anything else comes up around pay day i'll be looking at one of these, cheers.

what about the Raspberry Pi, only £21.60

even comes with an OS (Linux) but not much else smile.png

Missed out unfortunately, they only made 10,000 available, waiting list is now April (no doubt will turn into May!)

I have a PC available that is very similar to the specs you require and I have it already listed in the Classifieds section. Have a look and let me know because it is just sitting around doing nothing!

FWIW there are similar small boards which run Windows, price is nearer 100 quid.

One of my customers buys ATOM netbooks in bulk, pays < $100 each, I think the minimum quantity is around 250, no operating system.

possibly the same customer of yours that has a trillion petabytes in their SAN..........big pockets buys big discounts.

I'm happy to pay the price of a pi to fiddle around and try to create a mini media box perhaps.

£100 is too much for a frippery for me.

possibly the same customer of yours that has a trillion petabytes in their SAN..........big pockets buys big discounts.

I'm happy to pay the price of a pi to fiddle around and try to create a mini media box perhaps.

£100 is too much for a frippery for me.

Actually a different customer. Take a Pi, monitor, keyboard, mouse and it's more expensive, of course you'll have all the peripherals lying around.

Linux is very good for understanding operating systems, I'm sure some good educational projects will be seen over the next years.

Using Vmware (free edition) or one of the other similar products you could run Linux on your PC at the same time you're running Windows, that would cost you nothing...

a live edition of ubuntu from usb key with a persistence file is always in my toolkit for testing machines before doing repairs.

I never trust a call centre engineer's diagnosis of "Yes mr customer, we'll get your laptop speakers replaced as they're obviously faulty", only to find they work fine when tried from a linux distro.Device drivers and volume controls can waste a lot of an engineers time..

My android tablet also runs ubuntu (used for vlc player)

...but i take your point about adding the cost of peripherals onto a pi's initial cost.

I think the kind of people that are buying it at the moment are the sort that have these kind of things lying around though (as you point out) and really I want to go back to the days of booting it up and putting some code into it, just like in the 80's lying on my bed and typing in a spectrum program from the latest edition of Sinclair User.

Happy days

Edited by mbx