Mazda Rx-8 Mechanic

"I spoke to my dealer and they told me this was probably due to bits of the old cat working through the system"

That sounds like total BS to me. Unless there big chunks of honeycomb blocking the rear silencer from the previous cat, what bit of the system are they working through exactly!? Did they some how get stuck in the air filter!!?

Might be worth looking at simple cheap things if you haven't already, a tiny leak on vac pipe for example can have a big effect on performance of any engine, rotary or not.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the RX8 is a fantastic car - bit heavy on oil and juice, but innovative and way cool. Hope you solve your problem satisfactorily.

Try Brian Kelly on Tynwald Street in Douglas, last time I was in there he was doing a rx8 engine rebuild so he must be familiar with them.

Try Brian Kelly on Tynwald Street in Douglas, last time I was in there he was doing a rx8 engine rebuild so he must be familiar with them.

I went to see Brian today, unfortunately he doesn't do repairs on RX-8s, just rebuilds the engines. However he has managed to get a loan MAF sensor for me from one of his contacts, so I'll give that a go tomorrow and see if that fixes things.

If not then I'm still going to need a mechanic with some good RX-8 experience, anybody know one?

Did the original CAT fall to bits? If it did then as Deano said, pull the back box of it. Seen one other car in all my years with a stuffed up rear silencer and it just wouldn't go after a certain rev and condition.

I went to see Brian today, unfortunately he doesn't do repairs on RX-8s, just rebuilds the engines. However he has managed to get a loan MAF sensor for me from one of his contacts, so I'll give that a go tomorrow and see if that fixes things. If not then I'm still going to need a mechanic with some good RX-8 experience, anybody know one?

He sounds like a decent bloke, nice to see folks trying to help out in these modern times.

I know it sounds a bit basic but has the fuel filter been replaced? It may be blocked and also the injectors may be sticking, try some fuel system cleaner in the tank next time you fill up and give it a good clear out by revving it through the range.

It's sometimes the simple things, they should be eliminated first.

As far as i've been made aware, there were about 7 recalls on those motors. Has your's had them done?

Also, if it's one off those job lot ones the Toyota garage was selling a while back, again, as far as i'm aware, those didn't.

Edited by Celt

These 3 below are the only recalls I can find.

RECALL DATE (REFERENCE): 10/08/2005 (R2005115)

MODEL: RX8

CONCERN: POSSIBLE FUEL LEAK

DESCRIPTION: In certain cases a vehicle which has been parked with the engine operating at high revs for an excessive length of time, can suffer melting of some parts surrounding the exhaust system. In consequence, this can result in a variety of malfunctions, including heat damage to the fuel tank.

ACTION: Recalled vehicles will have the heat insulator pad attached to the fuel tank and power control module upgraded.

VINS: JMZSE17**50116342 to JMZSE17**50130231, JMZSE17**40100089 to JMZSE17**40116339, JMZSE17**00139513 to JMZSE17**00133009, JMZSE17**60130513 to JMZSE17**660133012, JMZSE17**00100090 to JMZSE17**00130229

BUILD DATES: Not known

NUMBERS INVOLVED: 15054

RECALL DATE (REFERENCE): 10/08/2005 (R2005114)

CONCERN: LOSS OF STEERING MAY OCCUR

DESCRIPTION: It is possible that cracks may occur in the ball joint socket of the lower suspension arm. Under certain severe driving conditions, this may cause the ball to separate from the ball joint socket and a loss of steering may occur.

ACTION: Recalled vehicles will be inspected to ascertain if the lower suspension arm fitted is of the affected type. If this is shown to be the case, the part will be changed for a quality assured item.

VINS: JMZSE17**00100090 to JMZSE17**00113818, JMZSE17**40100089 to JMZSE17**40113821

BUILD DATES: Not known

NUMBERS INVOLVED: 4621

RECALL DATE (REFERENCE): 07/05/2004 (R2004029)

CONCERN: POSSIBLE CRACKING OF DYNAMIC DAMPER HEAT INSULATOR

DESCRIPTION: The dynamic damper heat insulator, which is installed on the manual transmission, may crack, causing abnormal noise. In the worst case, the insulator may become detached.

ACTION: Recall the affected vehicles and replace the insulator with a modified one.

VINS: JMZSE170000100090 to JMZSE170000101030

BUILD DATES: Not available

NUMBERS INVOLVED: 119

Hello lads, i also have a RX8 its the 231 bhp and i have had alot of problems with it recently, i bought it from Caledonian toyota in oct 2010 and for the first 12 months it ran fine then it began not starting.

I was told the engine had flooded but the problem continued. I had it into Raymotors in january this year after i couldnt get it going and was told that the compression was none existant in the front bank and very low in the back. I was also told that i needed a new engine and CAT, and shutter valve on the intake manifold at the cost of £7000??

obviously i didnt want to spend that much so sourced a second hand one from a scrappy in the uk had it shipped here and fitted for a very handsome price by ray motors. I avoided the new cat and fitted a DCAT pipe.

after one week i had problems starting it AGAIN!!!!

I have had it back to Ray motors and they have tested it and said that the compression is low again (5.3 and 4.6 bar of pressure and it should be minimum 6 but brand new should be about 9).

So i am stuck in the same situation with a car that runs ok when it starts but have problems getting it going.

Do you know if it is true about the extended warranty to 8 years or 100,000 miles? I am going to write to main mazda dealership and query the engine faults as my original engine only had 45,000 miles and unsure about the second engine but believe that it had approx 79,000 in 2009. unknown mileage now??

it had the recall done on it to replace the starter motor for the upgrade but unsure about anything else?

I love love love my car and dont want to give up and am unsure on how to continue without wasting tonnes more cash......

what kind of solutions have you come up with or contacts? i have been told an new engine at £3000 (unfitted) or a full engine rebuild at approx £3200?

cheers Hollie

I knew a bit about the older RX7's and they relied on an oil feed into the intake system to lubricate the rotor tips. If for any reason this became restricted the tips could wear and loss of compression would occur. I don't know how the RX8 rotor tips are lubricated but if the feed line was blocked or restricted and transferred to the replacement engine then the same problem would occur.

• 2 months later...

Hello lads, i also have a RX8 its the 231 bhp and i have had alot of problems with it recently, i bought it from Caledonian toyota in oct 2010 and for the first 12 months it ran fine then it began not starting.

I was told the engine had flooded but the problem continued. I had it into Raymotors in january this year after i couldnt get it going and was told that the compression was none existant in the front bank and very low in the back. I was also told that i needed a new engine and CAT, and shutter valve on the intake manifold at the cost of £7000??

obviously i didnt want to spend that much so sourced a second hand one from a scrappy in the uk had it shipped here and fitted for a very handsome price by ray motors. I avoided the new cat and fitted a DCAT pipe.

after one week i had problems starting it AGAIN!!!!

I have had it back to Ray motors and they have tested it and said that the compression is low again (5.3 and 4.6 bar of pressure and it should be minimum 6 but brand new should be about 9).

So i am stuck in the same situation with a car that runs ok when it starts but have problems getting it going.

Do you know if it is true about the extended warranty to 8 years or 100,000 miles? I am going to write to main mazda dealership and query the engine faults as my original engine only had 45,000 miles and unsure about the second engine but believe that it had approx 79,000 in 2009. unknown mileage now??

it had the recall done on it to replace the starter motor for the upgrade but unsure about anything else?

I love love love my car and dont want to give up and am unsure on how to continue without wasting tonnes more cash......

what kind of solutions have you come up with or contacts? i have been told an new engine at £3000 (unfitted) or a full engine rebuild at approx £3200?

cheers Hollie

Hi Hollie

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread, as basically I ran out of money to try and sort the issue.

I was in raymotors today, I think they told me about your car whilst I was there. I too have gone down the decat route until I find out what's up with my car, I just couldn't afford to keep burning through cats until someone could work out what's wrong with it.

Today Raymotors have suggested that there is a stuck air intake valve, and that they want to take apart the engine to get to it. However, it sounds very labour intensive, could cost an arm and a leg and that might not even be the problem, so I told them I'll have a think about it.

I've also had a compression test, which apparently came back low. I did have a period of a week where the car sprang back into life and was giving the beans, but it was only temporary and went back to the same problem a few days later. So I'm sceptical about it being a compression issue as I don't think the compression can come and go like that.

I also had a fuel pressure test done, which was apparently fine. I asked them to do that as when the car was working properly there was a release of pressure when taking off the fuel cap, and when it's not performing there isn't any pressure build up in the tank.

Deano, I don't suppose you fancy having a look at it for me, you seem to have some good contacts?

Cheers