Horses Using Public Roads

Deano_iom

The driving test should include a test of empathy and tolerance towards other road users, including having to ride a horse on a public road - or even better, drive a pony and trap. There'd be no more idiotic suggestions about riders clearing up after horses - can you imagine a group of riders having to keep dismounting at different times on a busy road to clear up horse poo as well as keeping their horses under control. Or a farmer moving sheep or cattle running around with a shovel trying to clear up after them all. The only people who should have to clear up after themselves are the ignorant car drivers/passengers who chuck fast food cartons and drink bottles out of the window.

• Like 4

2) The excrement of a dog isn't harmful, if you smeared your face with it & ate a piece of it for 100 days you'd almost certainly suffer no ill effects

Actually, you really would. So don't try that at home.

2) The excrement of a dog isn't harmful, if you smeared your face with it & ate a piece of it for 100 days you'd almost certainly suffer no ill effects

I too beg to differ. My Nephew was prone to eating and rolling in dog shit as a child.

We had to get him Neutered when he started biting the Postman and chasing car. Cost a fortune in Vets fees.

• Like 1

Horeses were used on roads long before motor bikes and cars came about

I bet there were all sorts of contraptions and animals on public roads at some point, but it doesn't give them the right to do it now. Road safety relies partly on predictable events occuring on the road. They zone off residential areas and reduce the speed limit because children may be playing there.

Likewise, in my view, there should be clear zones where horses and livestock have rights to use and cross the road and elsewhere it should be not permitted. Then you're at least managing everyone's expectations and also giving the horse owner/farm worker some rights and protection at the same time.

Butterflies......you are a complete and total bellend !!! Many moons ago when I used to play footie at Nobles Park, I was studded by another player which resulted in a small gash. At the end of the match it wash cleaned up and had to be washed out at hospital due to dog crap having got in it. They obviously missed a bit when cleaning it out and 2 months later I had an operation on a very severe infection which was caused by bacteria from the dog crap. I know have a 4" x3" scar...............now tell me it's not harmful !! I too would like to see you eat some you half-wit !!

The excrement of a dog isn't harmful, if you smeared your face with it & ate a piece of it for 100 days you'd almost certainly suffer no ill effects

I challenge you to stand on the steps of Douglas Town Hall, get the media to turn up, and prove this.
  • Like 1

Likewise, in my view, there should be clear zones where horses and livestock have rights to use and cross the road and elsewhere it should be not permitted. Then you're at least managing everyone's expectations and also giving the horse owner/farm worker some rights and protection at the same time.

There are, motorways for example. We just don't have any roads that justify such a rule.

Considering the roads were initially created by use of horse and/or cart, it goes a long way to explaining why such corners and twists occur in the roads. If the roads had been created for cars in the first place, they would have just built long straight stretches of road from one place to another. Many horse riders are only on stretches of road for short periods and usually because they have to get to another bridle path further down the road. Horse owners don't generally like taking horses on the roads because the ground is too solid and can damage the horse's legs with the impact. The other reason is the obvious risks with motor vehicles and the road suface can be very slippery for horses.

Having said that, we have some of the greatest roads for motor sport and cycling events. Every one should have access and what the island really needs is a 'Department of Common Sense'

• Like 1

Horeses were used on roads long before motor bikes and cars came about

Sure, and we used to brain each other with rocks. I honestly can't believe people still use "Well we used to do this ages ago!" as an attempt at a legitimate argument.

Considering the roads were initially created by use of horse and/or cart, it goes a long way to explaining why such corners and twists occur in the roads. If the roads had been created for cars in the first place, they would have just built long straight stretches of road from one place to another. Many horse riders are only on stretches of road for short periods and usually because they have to get to another bridle path further down the road. Horse owners don't generally like taking horses on the roads because the ground is too solid and can damage the horse's legs with the impact. The other reason is the obvious risks with motor vehicles and the road suface can be very slippery for horses.

Having said that, we have some of the greatest roads for motor sport and cycling events. Every one should have access and what the island really needs is a 'Department of Common Sense'

That and in the past, without machinery, flattening areas was harder than going around them.

My opinion is that horses shouldn't be on the roads anymore. It's dangerous for the horse, the rider, and other road users. Horses are unpredictable, and liable to walk out into the road further than is safe, and all it takes is them doing that on a blind corner and it's going to be a very sad day.

Since horses are NOT used as a means from getting from A->B (can't exactly rock your horse up in the M&S car park can you?) I very much think they should try to stick to fields & lanes where possible. I understand people's passion for their hobby, but the safety aspect is just too big to ignore, and I can't see the extra pleasure one might gain from being on the road with the horse instead of lane/field/track outweighing the risk of an accident.

My opinion is that horses shouldn't be on the roads anymore. It's dangerous for the horse, the rider, and other road users. Horses are unpredictable, and liable to walk out into the road further than is safe, and all it takes is them doing that on a blind corner and it's going to be a very sad day.

Since horses are NOT used as a means from getting from A->B (can't exactly rock your horse up in the M&S car park can you?) I very much think they should try to stick to fields & lanes where possible. I understand people's passion for their hobby, but the safety aspect is just too big to ignore, and I can't see the extra pleasure one might gain from being on the road with the horse instead of lane/field/track outweighing the risk of an accident.

My opinion is that you shouldn't be on the road any more. If you go around a blind corner with enough speed that you can't stop, you're driving dangerously. There's lots of unpredictable things on the roads, from other drivers to pedestrians, animals, cyclists, fallen trees, whatever. The thing that puts them in danger is cars, and it's the drivers responsibility to not put people at risk from their actions. The roads aren't only for cars, you selfish twerp.