Horses Using Public Roads

Deano_iom

My opinion is that horses shouldn't be on the roads anymore. It's dangerous for the horse, the rider, and other road users. Horses are unpredictable, and liable to walk out into the road further than is safe, and all it takes is them doing that on a blind corner and it's going to be a very sad day.

Since horses are NOT used as a means from getting from A->B (can't exactly rock your horse up in the M&S car park can you?) I very much think they should try to stick to fields & lanes where possible. I understand people's passion for their hobby, but the safety aspect is just too big to ignore, and I can't see the extra pleasure one might gain from being on the road with the horse instead of lane/field/track outweighing the risk of an accident.

My opinion is that you shouldn't be on the road any more. If you go around a blind corner with enough speed that you can't stop, you're driving dangerously. There's lots of unpredictable things on the roads, from other drivers to pedestrians, animals, cyclists, fallen trees, whatever. The thing that puts them in danger is cars, and it's the drivers responsibility to not put people at risk from their actions. The roads aren't only for cars, you selfish twerp.

When did I say that I was the one I was worried about not being able to stop?

The reference to pedestrians isn't particularly relevant as they don't tend to walk out into the middle of the road.

It's about reducing risk by taking an action that doesn't greatly negatively affect the horse rider. i.e. trying to use lanes/fields/tracks where possible instead of roads. It is 100% impossible to stop everyone from driving unsafely, so you have to go with a different solution.

And even at the best of times, horses don't like cars driving past them. It's simply riding your luck to believe that you can control the horse any time it gets upset. Are you honestly arguing it wouldn't be safer for ALL road users involved if horses stuck to lanes/fields/tracks?

I'm not sure why I'm putting up a reasoned argument since it'll be most likely met with ad hominems and assumptions about my driving, as usual.

Edited by HeliX

When did I say that I was the one I was worried about not being able to stop?

Then why is the horse being after a blind corner a danger to anyone? If drivers are at a speed within their ability to stop then there's no risk to anyone.

The reference to pedestrians isn't particularly relevant as they don't tend to walk out into the middle of the road.

Yes they do. I've seen kids do it, distracted, running into the road.

It's about reducing risk by taking an action that doesn't greatly negatively affect the horse rider. i.e. trying to use lanes/fields/tracks where possible instead of roads. It is 100% impossible to stop everyone from driving unsafely, so you have to go with a different solution.

And even at the best of times, horses don't like cars driving past them. It's simply riding your luck to believe that you can control the horse any time it gets upset. Are you honestly arguing it wouldn't be safer for ALL road users involved if horses stuck to lanes/fields/tracks?

I'm sure riders stick to lanes and tracks where possible, as the poster said above, but sometimes you've got to use the roads to join those up. Fields are pretty much out of bounds, all private.

So your solution is that cars put horses at risk, so ban horses. Not the thing that's causing the risk, but the thing that's the victim. That makes sense...

Then why is the horse being after a blind corner a danger to anyone? If drivers are at a speed within their ability to stop then there's no risk to anyone.

Because other drivers are not so cautious. But I don't need to tell you that, judging by your responses you've been on the roads, so you know just as well as I do that ~50% of people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car.

Kids running into the road tends to happen in 30mph zones. Unfortunately most of the rural areas are still derestricted (which personally I also think is wrong - anything that has a direct opening into a field/farm area should NOT be derestricted), which just amplifies the problem.

Banning cars isn't an option. Banning bad drivers tends to happen AFTER they cause an incident. Limiting the places horses are able to use, whilst seemingly harsh, improves safety for everyone involved. And is implementable, unlike any of the other solutions I can think of.

Edited by HeliX

Because other drivers are not so cautious. But I don't need to tell you that, judging by your responses you've been on the roads, so you know just as well as I do that ~50% of people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car.

Agreed, but that's an argument for restricting cars, not horses. If cars travelling above 30mph is putting people's lives at risk, then restrict them to 30 everywhere.

Not to poo-poo your suggestion, but it may be more productive if we stick to solutions that the Government would feasibly agree with wink.png

How could the Government change bridal paths so that horses could avoid using parts of the road to access another path? Do you think horses should just be allowed to go up and down one path?

Not to poo-poo your suggestion, but it may be more productive if we stick to solutions that the Government would feasibly agree with wink.png

How could the Government change bridal paths so that horses could avoid using parts of the road to access another path? Do you think horses should just be allowed to go up and down one path?

I did say limiting, not banning. Linking sections of road could be marked and have their speed limits reduced.

I am getting sick of this old argument so I'm gonna try and resolve it once and for all......

No matter how many times you keep telling yourself that you do - YOU DO NOT PAY ROAD TAX - you pay vehicle excise duty. This means the more polluting your vehicle, the more you pay, hence electric vehicles and scooters pay nothing.

None of the vehicle excise duty goes towards maintaining roads - that is paid out of your rates, which everyone pays.

Cyclists/horses/cars/pedestrians/trikes/HGVs/quads/sheep farmers all have an equal right to use the road.

• Like 2

Banning horses isn't more feasible than a 30 mph national speed limit. If you banned horses on regular roads, like they do on motorways, your basically saying the roads are too dangerous. You'd also therefore have to ban everyone else at risk, like they do on motorways, pedestrians, cyclists, scooters, etc. That isn't feasible at all.

A 30 mph national speed limit is feasible, it's simply a load of signs everywhere and has been implemented in similar countries to ours, like Guernsey.

If a criminal is in a room stealing from people, you don't take away his victims, you take away the criminal. If cars are the problem, deal with that, not the victims.

As my post 2 above - I'm not suggesting an outright ban, but perhaps a best point for compromise would be to have horses use tracks/lanes where possible, and have the "connecting" strips of road between said tracks/lanes made "horse friendly", i.e. 30mph limit, signed with warnings about horses?