Cyclists........

Deano_iom

I cycle to work most days, but also drive here and thereabouts and have to say the whole 2, 3 abreast thing really annoys me too. i can't understand why they do it? I hate cars lagging behind me when I'm on my bike, it unnerves me a little. I always move to the side or even mount the pavement to let cars past, is no matter. I prefer to keep the flow going rather than have some coiled spring behind me.

We ride two abreast, never 3 abreast. If you move to the gutter or mount the pavement you're in more danger than if you took a better position in your lane. If your in the gutter cars squeeze past you when stuffs coming the other way, putting you in danger. When you take a better position, known as the 'secondary position' or pretty much where a cars left wheels go, you're further out in the lane you're forcing cars to wait until it's clear to pass properly. Sometimes you must take the primary position, that's right out in the middle of a lane. You have to do this approaching some junctions and roundabouts, because it's not safe sitting in between two lanes with cars either side. The highway code says cars must past giving a cyclists as much room as if they were a car, so you're simply taking the space.

20110111-Bitesize-Bikeability2-350.jpg

If you're hugging the curb and hopping about up and down the pavement, dodging grids ad stuff, you're riding unpredictably and putting yourself in danger. You shouldn't move out of your line unless you have to, you need to be predictable and not move into the path of a car. Riding on hte pavement is worse, you're dodging pedestrians, cars coming out of driveways, curbs, and your coming back onto the road at some point, all more dangerous than simply holding your line visibly and predictably in your lane. Riding too far left also puts you at risk from a dooring from parked cars, which is bad.

The highway code says you can ride two abreast, but not more than that. You should also single out to let cars pass when appropriate, which we also do despite what people say.

The reasons for riding two abreast are often because it's sociable and efficient, the two riders on the front are sheltering two columns of riders behind. People take turns on the front as the group rotates anti-clockwise. It's one of the reasons 'riding three or four abreast' moan-in-line exaggeration are bollocks, it just wouldn't work on the road. It's also often the best thing for traffic, 10 riders two abreast is five bikes long. 10 riders in single file is 10 bikes long. Given you have to give bikes as much room as a car to pass, passing a 10 bike column is harder than passing a five bike one. Two abreast is safer as your more visible and the group also goes faster. Two abreast usually doesn't take more room than a single cyclist in the proper position, as you can ride closer to the curb more safely if your partner is in the secondary position.

• Like 1

Sims just said exactly what I would have. Riders riding two abreast means the cyclist on the right of the two are no further out in the middle of a lane than a lone cyclist should be. Therefore riders in a paceline two abreast are taking up less road space than a single long line strung out. They're also moving faster, and it's far safer as the motorist has to overtake them properly like a real vehicle (as they legally should do) rather than thinking they can squeeze a cyclist into a gutter and brush past them. If you're riding in the gutter, you're in real danger on the roads, not if you're riding in the middle of the lane where you are clearly visible.

Cliff Hazard as Slim has said not only are you riding eratically and being more dangerous, you're also breaking the law. Roads are for cyclists, horses, as they were long before the infernal combustion engine intruded on them.

Discussion closed, it's been done to death...period....

Some, not all, cyclists seem to live on another planet when it comes to road safety. i nearly killed one yesterday on the mountain, thick fog, im doing no more than 35, rounded a corner and SHIT......jump on the anchors !!! tootling along he is, middle of the lane and NO lights. it's a good job he was heading Douglas way though cos a Honda Civic Type R went steaming towards Ramsey in the fog, reg ended with 116A which off course is your's Deano !!

On the subject of lights, what's with these flashing lights they all seem to have.....seen one riding the other evening with one on the front blinking away which would drive up mad or put you into a trance. surely there must a requirement for them to have a fixed light too.

Edited by jacobaman

Some, not all, cyclists seem to live on another planet when it comes to road safety. i nearly killed one yesterday on the mountain, thick fog, im doing no more than 35, rounded a corner and SHIT......jump on the anchors !!! tootling along he is, middle of the lane and NO lights. it's a good job he was heading Douglas way though cos a Honda Civic Type R went steaming towards Ramsey in the fog, reg ended with 116A which off course is your's Deano !!

On the subject of lights, what's with these flashing lights they all seem to have.....seen one riding the other evening with one on the front blinking away which would drive up mad or put you into a trance. surely there must a requirement for them to have a fixed light too.

I would imagine it would not take much to put you in a trance

I didnt go out yesterday not that far!! I was working most of the morning down south then walked the dog down port erin beach at lunch time.......

well someone nicked your car then around lunchtime cos it was defo up by the bungalow early afternoon (sounded nice btw).........you'll remember in a few days time as usual ;-)

anyway, getting back on subject......came across another pedaling moron at lunchtime who rode through red traffic lights on the circular road/brown bobby junction and nearly got wiped out by a taxi and then had the audacity to give the cabbie the finger after being given the horn !!

Edited by jacobaman

anyway, getting back on subject......came across another pedaling moron at lunchtime who rode through red traffic lights on the circular road/brown bobby junction and nearly got wiped out by a taxi and then had the audacity to give the cabbie the finger after being given the horn !!

I'm sure all the drivers around you were driving perfectly the whole time you were out?

I'm sure all the drivers around you were driving perfectly the whole time you were out?

driving perfectly......No !!

stopped perfectly........absolutely !!

it was a red light thats what you do.

No doubt if you're a cyclist you might have a different view on what you have to do at a red light ?

No doubt if you're a cyclist you might have a different view on what you have to do at a red light ?

Sometimes people make mistakes, yet this isn't someone making a mistake, it's a cyclist making a mistake. You're being prejudiced and continuing the anti-cyclist hate that seems to ignore the fact that these are actually people, not just cyclists.

I do stop at red lights personally, but occasionally I have to leap off early when it's still read but clear to keep myself safe from left turners behind me.

Sometimes people make mistakes, yet this isn't someone making a mistake, it's a cyclist making a mistake. You're being prejudiced and continuing the anti-cyclist hate that seems to ignore the fact that these are actually people, not just cyclists.

I do stop at red lights personally, but occasionally I have to leap off early when it's still read but clear to keep myself safe from left turners behind me.

what a load of bollocks......i couldnt give a flying fuck what they are, when they are on the road they are road users and therefore must obey by the road laws set out for everyones safety. it wasn't a mistake is was a blatant attempt to make a quick dart and it nearly back fired big time. thats not prejudice or anti-cyclist.........thats fact !!

many a time i've been stopped in a row of cars at a red light and then along comes a cyclists who bypasses the cars, plonks them selves at the front of the Q, often over the stop line, and then creeps out and proceeds if clear with the lights still on red.

what a load of bollocks......i couldnt give a flying fuck what they are, when they are on the road they are road users and therefore must obey by the road laws set out for everyones safety. it wasn't a mistake is was a blatant attempt to make a quick dart and it nearly back fired big time. thats not prejudice or anti-cyclist.........thats fact !!

If he made a bad decision, that's a mistake, no matter what his motives. And singling out cyclists in this way is prejudiced, like it or not.

• Like 1

Roads are for cyclists, horses, as they were long before the infernal combustion engine intruded on them.

Oh good, the "we used to do it so we should continue doing it unquestioningly now!" approach. Tell me, do you also still walk around in a loincloth braining other animals with a stick so that you can bring them back to your cave and cook them?

Seriously, continuity of a previous happening is not a justification for something. If you can't justify something better than "well we used to do it!" perhaps it is unjustifiable.