Cyclists........

If anyone can recognise these three please give them a heads up that they aren't doing the rest of the cyclists on the isle of man any favours at all.

They had been riding three wide for quite a while before this was taken - I wasn't quick enough with the phone.

Think one of them has a Gold Medal, so we'll allow it....Looks like Pete & Tim Kennaugh and Chris Whorrall

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Incredible - you can't argue with the logic of what I posted so you instead attack my personality.   You have spent 20 odd pages on this thread saying that cyclists don't ride three abreast when som

If you search "ride 3 or 4 abreast", "don't stop at red lights", "giving everyone the uppers", "spandex", "don't pay road tax" and "riding on the pavement" you should find the cyclist threads.

I see you are a subscriber, so presumably the board knows your identity from your payment. If you continue to threaten me I'll seek to find your identity and report you. Is that clear?

Posted Images

plus, you had to pull over and safely take a snap! well i suppose taking a picture isn't actually using your mobile phone in the illegal sense. cyclists are getting as bad as motorists!

That was some assumption there! I was in the back seat.

I suppose your excuse is that your legs are to long to drive while sitting in the front seatrolleyes.gif

If anyone can recognise these three please give them a heads up that they aren't doing the rest of the cyclists on the isle of man any favours at all.

They had been riding three wide for quite a while before this was taken - I wasn't quick enough with the phone.

Quite a while but not long enough to get your phone out?

Quite a while but not long enough to get your phone out?

Lets break it down. There was a period of disbelief, a time for a thought period of "hang on, that ain't right", a period of err... then "I can take a photo", then "where is my phone", then "no, that's my wallet", then finding my phone, getting it from my hip pocket (not easy with a seat belt on), then getting it out of it's cover, then unlocking it, then finding the camera app, the waiting for it to start, then looking at the screen, then finding the zoom in, then waiting for it to focus before finally taking the photo.

Yep - that's a while in my book.

Slim, it might not be what you want to hear that cyclists do ride three abreast but that doesn't make me wrong for actually saying it and very nearly getting a photo of it. It makes the people cycling wrong so don't blame me for not getting my phone out in 3 miliseconds and taking a perfect photo....

Deal with the problem not the person reporting it.

I don't understand why bikes cant use pavements, if the cyclists were to give way to pedestrians wheres the problem, its safer for the bikes to be on pavements especially with todays volume of traffic, in wind bikes are known to be unstable, there is no official training to take a bicycle on the road so are they really safe for the road? The amount of cyclists I have seen without lights or people making stupid manouvres to pass them, they are dangerous.

Slim, it might not be what you want to hear that cyclists do ride three abreast but that doesn't make me wrong for actually saying it and very nearly getting a photo of it. It makes the people cycling wrong so don't blame me for not getting my phone out in 3 miliseconds and taking a perfect photo....

Deal with the problem not the person reporting it.

Yes, the massive crime wave of three abreast cycling and the chaos it leaves in it's wake! I hope you can receive councelling for the trauma of having to witness someone coming alongside his bro and his mate for a quick chat before dropping back. There's probably a charity to help those affected.

It happens occasionally, same as drivers use their mobiles or park in silly places. From the moaning you'd think it was the only way we ride, which just isn't the case.

I don't understand why bikes cant use pavements, if the cyclists were to give way to pedestrians wheres the problem, its safer for the bikes to be on pavements especially with todays volume of traffic, in wind bikes are known to be unstable, there is no official training to take a bicycle on the road so are they really safe for the road? The amount of cyclists I have seen without lights or people making stupid manouvres to pass them, they are dangerous.

I tick along at an average of 19mph, apart from the hazards of driveways, curbs, etc, I'd definitely be a hazard to pedestrians on the pavement. If cycling is as dangerous as you claim, where's all the reports of accidents?

Yes, the massive crime wave of three abreast cycling and the chaos it leaves in it's wake! I hope you can receive councelling for the trauma of having to witness someone coming alongside his bro and his mate for a quick chat before dropping back. There's probably a charity to help those affected.

Incredible - you can't argue with the logic of what I posted so you instead attack my personality.

You have spent 20 odd pages on this thread saying that cyclists don't ride three abreast when someone comes along and says "yes they do" - you decide with no knowledge of what happened that it was a quick chat, regardless of what the law says and everyone driver on this thread says and that it was acceptable.

Obviously you don't get it. We have to share the road with cars and unless we follow the rules and respect car drivers then why should we be treated with respect and have the right to complain when some thing affects us.

There are so many comments here from so many people saying that cyclists get in the way - can't you get it into your head that three abreast riding can not be tolerated when there are cars about??

I'd rather put my hand up and say "Sorry guys - as a cyclist I don't condone this behaviour and will do what I can to make sure that cyclists ride more respectfully". If you want to continue to stick your hands over your ears and go "laaa laaa laaa this isn't happening" then that is up to you.

Why did I post the photo up ? Because if one cyclist reads this thread and decides to be a bit more respectful of cars drivers wishes, and if one car drivers sees that not all cyclists are 'trying' to slow them down and treats cyclists with a bit more respect then perhaps the roads will get a little bit better for everyone.

I do a lot of miles on the road and if the attitude to cyclists gets just a little better then I'll be happy - and if it takes 'manning up' when we ride in a way that falls below the standard that is reasonably expected from us then so be it.

• Like 3

You have spent 20 odd pages on this thread saying that cyclists don't ride three abreast when someone comes along and says "yes they do"

That simply isn't true. I've said "The groups I cycle with, that fit the descriptions of the groups we're discussing do not ride three or four abreast. That might differ from your opinion, but from my personal experience it's not wrong." in response to accusations that groups of ten or more are out all riding three abreast. Even you know that isn't happening or practical to do on a bike.

Obviously you don't get it. We have to share the road with cars and unless we follow the rules and respect car drivers then why should we be treated with respect and have the right to complain when some thing affects us.

And you genuinely think that supporting the proposition that 'all cyclists ride three or four abreast' is helping? I don't, I think it's supporting the idiots that thing this is the rule not the exception. Obviously there are people who do silly things, and I can't speak for everyone. I see cars doing silly things on the road, but I don't think all drivers do silly things. Those three lads shouldn't have been riding three abreast, sure, but I know each of them, ride with them and it's not something they do habitually.

I'd rather put my hand up and say "Sorry guys - as a cyclist I don't condone this behaviour and will do what I can to make sure that cyclists ride more respectfully". If you want to continue to stick your hands over your ears and go "laaa laaa laaa this isn't happening" then that is up to you.

Where did I do that?

Why did I post the photo up ? Because if one cyclist reads this thread and decides to be a bit more respectful of cars drivers wishes, and if one car drivers sees that not all cyclists are 'trying' to slow them down and treats cyclists with a bit more respect then perhaps the roads will get a little bit better for everyone.

It's pretty obvious who that is in your picture. If you really wanted that response you'd have been better off getting in touch directly rather than increase the bad feeling towards cyclists on here.

I do a lot of miles on the road and if the attitude to cyclists gets just a little better then I'll be happy - and if it takes 'manning up' when we ride in a way that falls below the standard that is reasonably expected from us then so be it.

You do a lot of miles on the road alone, right?

plus, you had to pull over and safely take a snap! well i suppose taking a picture isn't actually using your mobile phone in the illegal sense. cyclists are getting as bad as motorists!

That was some assumption there! I was in the back seat.

doth now protest! i can see by the picture you were sitting on the left anyway. i can tell you're Manx ;)

They're aren't three abreast. Kennaugh and Whorral are riding two abreast.

Kennaugh is behind; central to both of them.

It is against the laws of physics for his left shoulder to occupy the same physical space as his brother's rib cage.

However, I accept he's pushing too far forward and his wheel is definitely overlapping (you'd think these pros would know how to ride)

Probably, Kennaugh is telling a very funny story about Cav not getting a medal and his brother is trying to listen in.

They're aren't three abreast. Kennaugh and Whorral are riding two abreast.

Kennaugh is behind; central to both of them.

It is against the laws of physics for his left shoulder to occupy the same physical space as his brother's rib cage.

However, I accept he's pushing too far forward and his wheel is definitely overlapping (you'd think these pros would know how to ride)

Probably, Kennaugh is telling a very funny story about Cav not getting a medal and his brother is trying to listen in.

Reading not your strong point? He said they had been riding 3 abreast, and he caught the end of it by the time he'd pulled his camera out.