Heating Government Owned Buildings.

Recently I was sat outside the airport at 9:30pm awaiting a delayed London city flight when I saw 3 or 4 large side hung sash windows at first floor level being shut. How long these had been open or to what type of room they are servicing I do not know, but they must let out a lot of heat

Who is responsible for setting and controlling the heat for each school, airport, office complex, hospital,sea terminal and all the other goverment owned or controlled building and to minimise waste.

I think the policy was to turn the heating of in the schools on the !st. May.What is the ammount government spends on all types of fuel for heating and what efforts are being made to be as efficient as possible and not just letting the heat out of the window.

Recently I was sat outside the airport at 9:30pm awaiting a delayed London city flight when I saw 3 or 4 large side hung sash windows at first floor level being shut. How long these had been open or to what type of room they are servicing I do not know, but they must let out a lot of heat

Who is responsible for setting and controlling the heat for each school, airport, office complex, hospital,sea terminal and all the other goverment owned or controlled building and to minimise waste.

I think the policy was to turn the heating of in the schools on the !st. May.What is the ammount government spends on all types of fuel for heating and what efforts are being made to be as efficient as possible and not just letting the heat out of the window.

Sounds like a question that should be asked in the House of Keys.

This is a problem. I had reason to spend an hour or two in a government building recently and despite being cold outside, the heat inside was stifling. Nobody is suggesting workers should have to be cold to save money but there must be a reasonable compromise. We all know what sort of money is needed to keep a small house warm so some of the heating bills for public buildings must be immense. Mind you, they will be easier to pay if only they closed preschool education and made some teachers redundant. All depends what you consider is important.

Schools use Trend. The problem in larger schools is every hour or so 800 kids moving about shifts air. Any heat built up in that hour gets shifted about and often gets lost. The other problem with kids is the smell. Opening a window is the only option!

Sat down working in an office - humans generate around 120 watts of energy. 50 people on the floor and you effectively have an additional 6KW heater on the floor. Sprinters at full pelt produce around 1.5KW heat each.

Depending on the specs of course, computers and peripherals can also throw out 200 - 400 Watts of heat. Another 50 * 200 watts is 10KW.

All that is roughly equivalent to 16 kettles boiling away all day.

Often you also have the sun adding several KW via the windows.

Complex stuff to get the temp exactly right.

Edited by Albert Tatlock

Heat the buildings by burning the (ex) library books.

Edited by Merkin