Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
spermann

BA To Take Over London City Route?

Wouldn't fly with them. 2 crashes in 2 years coupled with a steep descent landing - no thanks.

Doubt it will be them anyway, they wouldn't have the cash I wouldn't of thought - it will require a big player with deeper pockets, and someone already positioned at London City who will run it to get their aircraft out of a LCY stand all day (like VLM used to do) as it will be cheaper to park up over here than at LCY.

None of the current Manx2 operators have aircraft certified for the steep approach at LCY, so they would need to form a partnership with a new operator with suitable aircraft, like Suckling who have Dornier 328s and already operate them into LCY for Aer Arran. I agree with gilf_uk about Manx2, but I would make an exception if they used a well respected operator.

Manx2 already fly to London.

You know, London 'Oxford' airport, just an hours drive away!

FFS, I expect Ann Reynolds is secretly hatching a plan for our little local landing strip to be renamed London (Isle of Man) Airport and attract transatlantic flights to land here with a small transfer. After all, if the passengers squinted a little bit they will see a big fuck off control tower, huge pointless runway and the most expensive baggage system (by unit handled) in the western world.

And to boot, they could get a coffee off the grumpiest, knuckle dragging retard ever to grace a public eatery.

• Like 3

Don't know what the passenger numbers are but isn't the J41 that Eastern operate certified for London city?

FFS, I expect Ann Reynolds is secretly hatching a plan for our little local landing strip to be renamed London (Isle of Man) Airport and attract transatlantic flights to land here with a small transfer. After all, if the passengers squinted a little bit they will see a big fuck off control tower, huge pointless runway and the most expensive baggage system (by unit handled) in the western world.

And to boot, they could get a coffee off the grumpiest, knuckle dragging retard ever to grace a public eatery.

Surely we could find the money [seeing as it is for the Finance Sectors benefit] to extend the runway the remaining 70 miles or so to link up with the English mainland. Problem solved. Sadly we will have no schools, or free reading for our children, and all our old folks will have been bricked in in Foxdale mines. However all is well as the Finance Sector is happy.
  • Like 2

But Is'nt virgin galactic planning to use Ronaldsway as their base in europe for launching people into space.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

http://en.wikipedia....Virgin_Galactic

Edited by mad_manx

Why is Manx2 called Manx2? What happened to Manx 1. Did it crash?

If you fly Manx2 ask where the parachutes are.

I've been told that operating into London City Airport is a big undertaking in terms of operational capabilty and commercial muscle (because of the fees charged at the airport) and that means there are few players in the market who can meet those needs.

It has been evident over the years that Manx2 have scraped the barrel with regard to the 'operators' it has used - read the cheapest out there. Hopefully, a London City operation is way above their bank balance.

There are, to my knowledge, only (and there aren't many UK regional airlines left, in any case) 4 Anglo/Irish operators who could run the service namely BA (yes please), Cityjet (in dire financial straits and reducing its fleet) Suckling (have done the job successfully for many London City airlines) and Titan (ad hoc charter outfit).

I doubt that manx2 could come close, or even be prepared, to lease in any of those operators and heaven forbid they would contemplate actually establishing themselves as an airline in their own right. Oops! That would cost money.

Edited by Utah 01

I just read "Ann Reynolds" and "landing strip" - involuntary shudder

Don't know what the passenger numbers are but isn't the J41 that Eastern operate certified for London city?

You are right, BB, Here's the list according to Wikipedia:

"Mid-range airliners seen at London City include the ATR 42 (both −300 and −500 variants), ATR72, Airbus A318, DHC Dash 8, BAe 146, Dornier 328, Embraer ERJ 135,Embraer 170,[12] Embraer 190 and Fokker 50. On 30 January 2009, trials were completed successfully with the ATR72-500, leading to its approval for use at the airport.[13]The Embraer 190SR underwent trials from 28 March 2009, and thereafter gained approval.[13] The Fokker F70, BAe Jetstream 41, Saab 340 and Saab 2000 also have approval for scheduled operations at the airport."

would Stobart's new enterprise be too far out at Southend ?

(no idea of rail links etc)

I live in the general area...Three trains an hour to Liverpool Street London in the City direct from a new station at the airport via Shenfield Essex then Stratford (Olympics & etc) then Liverpool Street...The Southend Airport Station is run by Stobart Rail....Takes maybe 45-50 minutes from airport to London...Change at Shenfield to go East ie Chelmsford, Colchester, Ipswich, Norwich....Handy for France too...In the good old days I did Southend to Le Touquet and then two hours by train to Gare du Nord in Paris....

If we dont get the new baggage thingy sorted out our airport will be defunct so I hear, Oh dear what next, it makes Rosies parsnips pale into insignificance.

would Stobart's new enterprise be too far out at Southend ?

(no idea of rail links etc)

I have read rumours elsewhere that Sleazyjet are planning a daily Southend/IoM/Liverpool/IoM/Southend rotation. I'll believe it when I see it.