Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
spermann

BA To Take Over London City Route?

One figure I would be interested in is the percentage of people on a sleazyjet flight who are getting another sleazyjet flight as whilst they are seperate tickets etc you may get a slightly better response from sleazyjet if you miss a flight cos of a previoulsy delayed flight if they were both with sleazyjet.

Sadly Easyjet offer only point-to-point (single flight) contracts, so if you miss the second flight due to delays they only have to compensate in accordance with EU regulations and are not obligated to get you to your final destination.

One figure I would be interested in is the percentage of people on a sleazyjet flight who are getting another sleazyjet flight as whilst they are seperate tickets etc you may get a slightly better response from sleazyjet if you miss a flight cos of a previoulsy delayed flight if they were both with sleazyjet.

Sadly Easyjet offer only point-to-point (single flight) contracts, so if you miss the second flight due to delays they only have to compensate in accordance with EU regulations and are not obligated to get you to your final destination.

I appreciate that. My point was that I believe sleazyjet are slightly more accomodating in transferring you to an alternative flight with them if there is room and what they might charge for a such a transfer if both flights are with them rather than one leg being with a diffrent carrier

Slightly off topic but can anyone confirm which operator Manx2 currently uses for IOM-BHD along with any supplementary views or opinions (without getting the forums into trouble)?

Ta

According to their site, it's VanAir Europe mostly on the Let 410. They're the Czech operator. Every time I've flown with them to Blackpool it's been friendly and efficient

The ticketing agency Manx2 charter them. There will be a more than one reason for this. The main reason will not be because of an exemplary safety record, it will be cost.

Edited by LooseChange

According to their site, it's VanAir Europe mostly on the Let 410. They're the Czech operator. Every time I've flown with them to Blackpool it's been friendly and efficient

Thanks Tarne. I missed that the operators are set out in the T&C's on the website. In the end I decided to go via DUB.

It seems (interpreting some of the content of the interim Cork report and from other sources such as pprune) as if there may be some additional but difficult to quantify risk involved in a "virtual airline" setup, sometimes using a chain of companies before one arrives at the AOC.

Although I might be prepared to accept this risk personally, it's amazing how your attitude changes when thinking about booking other family members on a flight.

Nothing to do with the fact that the Let 410 seems to be made mostly from cardboard smile.png

I have to say that I do like the new uniforms that Manx2 have introduced...

post-105-0-58525300-1334136138_thumb.jpg

Is that the winter uniform ? Look foreward to seeing their summer uniforms !

I have to say that I do like the new uniforms that Manx2 have introduced...

post-105-0-58525300-1334136138_thumb.jpg

You won't like them when you find out those are models & the real flight crew is recruited from Peel....

To go to LCY you need

1. A plane type certified to land there........

2. A plane of the type in (1) that has the modification for the steep approach kit, fitted, and certified

3. Some crew that are approved to fly a steep approach with some considerable extra line training to achieve this

4. On going crew training to maintain the approval. Some operators use a 'pool' of approved crew because of the extra training reqd and don't train all of their crews due to costs

5. Specific company/operator approval to operate these flights.

Its no easy task to achieve and maintain this...... Manx2....... don't think so but they could contract in as they do already with the routes they have. Be interesting to see who picks this one up.

To go to LCY you need

2. A plane of the type in (1) that has the modification for the steep approach kit, fitted, and certified

3. Some crew that are approved to fly a steep approach with some considerable extra line training to achieve this

4. On going crew training to maintain the approval. Some operators use a 'pool' of approved crew because of the extra training reqd and don't train all of their crews due to costs

Its no easy task to achieve and maintain this...... Manx2....... don't think so but they could contract in as they do already with the routes they have. Be interesting to see who picks this one up.

Agreed, although I think planes certified as (1) will automatically have (2).

As I have already said, I'd love to see Suckling on this route. They already have the equipment and crews, and have have operated into and out of LCY for years, including flights on behalf of Aer Arran. They are now owned by Logan Air, and their business model is now strictly as an ACMI provider. If the economics were right, perhaps they could partner Manx2. I might then reconsider my decision to completely avoid Manx2 except in the direst of circumstances!

Well, Allan Bell said that he was pretty hopeful that we'd have it back by May which makes me think he had inside info. But yeah, it's all just gossip at this stage, guess we'll find out soon enough!

To go to LCY you need

Agreed, although I think planes certified as (1) will automatically have (2).

As I have already said, I'd love to see Suckling on this route. They already have the equipment and crews, and have have operated into and out of LCY for years, including flights on behalf of Aer Arran. They are now owned by Logan Air, and their business model is now strictly as an ACMI provider. If the economics were right, perhaps they could partner Manx2. I might then reconsider my decision to completely avoid Manx2 except in the direst of circumstances!

Hi guzzi, not necessarily i'm afraid. Into LCY you need good brakes to stop on a short runway and power to get off... hence the type list of proven aircraft. Hard landings are common, extreme repairs sometimes being reqd...... search lcy hard landings on youtube or check this one out.....

Not all the type in (1) will have been modded with the steep approach boxes etc.

Note your comments but I think its going to be a difficult search in the current climate. Hope she sorts it though.

If that's the 'arrival' I think it was, the aircraft was unflyable afterwards.

A temporary hangar was erected on the waste ground across the dock from the airport. A barge was used to ferry the aircraft to it.

If I recall it was under repair for at least 6 weeks.

On the subject of modifications for steep approach, the Avro RJ does have a 'Steep Approach' button but this does nothing more than suppress certain GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System) warnings that would otherwise be triggered by the nature of the approach.

As long as the aircraft can stop in the available distance from a 5.5 degree approach then it should be able to cope with the City but it does have to be certified for the operation. There may also be avionics restrictions. The ARJ' autopilot is certified for 'steep approach'; the Dash 8's wasn't (although it did the job perfectly well).

As long as the aircraft can stop in the available distance from a 5.5 degree approach then it should be able to cope with the City but it does have to be certified for the operation. There may also be avionics restrictions. The ARJ' autopilot is certified for 'steep approach'; the Dash 8's wasn't (although it did the job perfectly well).

In broad terms is a steep approach less safe than a normal shallower approach? From comments about special requirements and special training it sounds to be be. The more that is capable (however unlikely and infrequently) of going wrong intuitively it sounds to be less safe - maybe only by a small percent but not a small percent on the safer side. Is that correct?

Edited by manshimajin