Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
spermann

BA To Take Over London City Route?

Flights are already on the ba.com website. Just tried flying down on a Friday afternoon and returning Monday lunchtime = £38 fare + £118.81 taxes = £156.81 return. This includes a 23kg checked in bag.

OK that lesson has been long learned.

BA don't own the LCY slots. The Isle of Man Government do. They bought them after Euromanx went bust. They then allowed Aer Arann to use them free of charge for one year and then charged 'break even' on them after that, hence why it gradually became more expensive and eventually closed.

BA are initially using their own slot (and aircraft) as it's cheaper to fly to IOM at a loss than have the aircraft and crew parked up at LCY for 4 hours when there is no demand. That will only be for a few weeks before the aircraft is utilised elsewhere.

Then BA (wet lease via Eastern Airways) will pick up the slots roughly where Aer Arann left off.

It wouldn't surprise me if the IOM Govt has given another 1 year free deal on the route, just to get it going again....

Not sure about taxes, will have to enquire as I haven't flown since the discount was issued to me.

just booked for 8th June as have family wedding in E14 on 9th. Cheaper than the previous booking on Aer Arran, much easier than Gatwick and cheaper. £160 return as opposed to over £300 (its TT weekend) and virtually no connection problems/costs or time

PS edited topic title

Edited by John Wright
edited topic title

Excellent news. This will really turn up the heat on flybe. 'Business' will migtrate back to BA and if an hour on the tube isn't too awful for some to get to LHR (I've done it often and it is no problem) through booking with BA from the Island to worldwide now becomes a reality again. And with Easy coming on LGW (and I'm sure it wil increase frequency as time goes on) flybe may have to pull something out of the hat.

• Like 1

Brilliant - I can book a through ticket from Zurich to Ronaldsway via City for ~ 360 quid. And this includes a 23kg bag full of Marmite and stuff :)

FlyBe - bye-bye-bye.

• Like 1

You buy your marmite in Zurich?

Shoprite, just need the stuff here in Laax, I get withdrawal symptoms and have ad to be bag-free due to FlyBe's nonsense :)

I'll be over a few times over winter I guess while doing the house-buying thingy...

Just re read your original post you book from Zurich to IOM (return not mentioned) and bring a bag full of marmite!

Just re read your original post you book from Zurich to IOM (return not mentioned) and bring a bag full of marmite!

I are only an stupido engineer, not intelligent leagual person smile.png

Isn't it just one flight a day, so they haven't got the morning Aer Arran slot from here? So flybe will still keep the day return passengers who get the red eye and the last flight back.

Whatever it is it's more options to get off the island so it's got to be good news.

Edited by Lxxx

Isn't it just one flight a day, so they haven't got the morning Aer Arran slot from here? So flybe will still keep the day return passengers who get the red eye and the last flight back.

No it ain't!

"Flights will depart from the Isle of Man at 7.25am, 1pm and 5.40pm with return flights from London City at 9.15am, 2.50pm and 7.30pm."

• Like 1

No it ain't!

"Flights will depart from the Isle of Man at 7.25am, 1pm and 5.40pm with return flights from London City at 9.15am, 2.50pm and 7.30pm."

Gracias. Didn't read the press release as I'm on the move. Exellent news. Over to you flybe, up your game or adios.

Can't we swap the London City slots for the Heathrow slots BA robbed from us?

Yup, it's good news we have the London city route back..... but for how long?

Also, why did we have to pay 50 million for a runway extension while London City seems to get away with being dangerous, just by needing specially qualified planes and pilots to land there?

• Like 1