Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
spermann

BA To Take Over London City Route?

No we're not. BA own a big chunk of FlyBe and they work very much together.

15% http://www.ft.com/in...144feab49a.html

14.59%, if we want to get picky.

But this means nothing, most of the airlines that compete and work in alliance hold a stake in oneanother, just look at IAG and their investments in other members of the oneworld alliance.

The flight isnt being run by Eastern, it's only one of their aircraft. You will check-in via the BA website as its a BA flight number, with BA crew.

If you are travelling onwards with BA out of City, then your bag will be checked through from here. If you are travelling onwards from City with another airline, then it depends if BA have an interline agreement with the other carrier (they do with most I believe). Also, if you have checked in online for your onward flight (with another carrier) and already have your boarding pass, that helps. If your onward flight is from another airport, you have to collect your bag and run for it.

Thanks for this. :)

No we're not. BA own a big chunk of FlyBe and they work very much together.

15% http://www.ft.com/in...144feab49a.html

14.59%, if we want to get picky.

But this means nothing, most of the airlines that compete and work in alliance hold a stake in oneanother, just look at IAG and their investments in other members of the oneworld alliance.

Yes, but there is absolutely no way that BA and FlyBe ever go out to beat each other to death in competition. Why would they?

Just had an interesting conversation with the BA helpdesk :

The IOM-LCY timetable only goes up to 26/10/12 but I need to book a linked flight over the Christmas period (all the other BA routes have had a published winter timetable for some time). The operator thought this was odd and went away to check with a supervisor, he came back and said that this route was only available under a Summer timetable and there were no plans at present to continue it into the Winter.

Hopefully this may change but I wonder ?

The IOM-LCY timetable only goes up to 26/10/12 but I need to book a linked flight over the Christmas period (all the other BA routes have had a published winter timetable for some time). The operator thought this was odd and went away to check with a supervisor, he came back and said that this route was only available under a Summer timetable and there were no plans at present to continue it into the Winter.

Makes sense - they probably haven't done a deal for a plane for the winter, they'll be seeing how it goes over summer.

...Or just watch this space for an announcement after Olympics are over wink.png

Which is exactly what I said earlier! BA will 'buy' the slot from our esteemed leaders via a manila envelope as soon as the olympics finish.

Or is there anything to stop them (BA) from using the route from another destination whilst the olympics are on?

Things change quickly ...

Had an email from BA this morning and lo and behold the schedule until April next year has appeared overnight. Just booked a 5hr linked ticket to somewhere that normally takes an overnight both ways ... very happy bunny.

Had an email from BA this morning and lo and behold the schedule until April next year has appeared overnight. Just booked a 5hr linked ticket to somewhere that normally takes an overnight both ways ... very happy bunny.

Excellent.

Not sure why anyone will be happy to see the back of flybe to be honest. I can see them ditching the island completely and then what are you left with?

2 main players doing 2 routes and a pile of cr4p routes being done by crashtastic and nearlybust airline. Sounds like the worst air link situation the island has ever had to me.

Not sure why anyone will be happy to see the back of flybe to be honest. I can see them ditching the island completely and then what are you left with?

2 main players doing 2 routes and a pile of cr4p routes being done by crashtastic and nearlybust airline. Sounds like the worst air link situation the island has ever had to me.

True. I heard that BA only came back as they signed a covenant with Flybe as part of selling the IoM citi express routes that they wouldn't compete for X number of years and now that has expired. Otherwise Manx2 could be running LCY.

True. I heard that BA only came back as they signed a covenant with Flybe as part of selling the IoM citi express routes that they wouldn't compete for X number of years and now that has expired. Otherwise Manx2 could be running LCY.

LOL. I can imagine Willie Walsh marking off the days on his calendar to the longed for day when they could get back to the gold mine that is operating flights to the Isle of Man.

I'm amazed that BA think the route is commercially viable in the long term. British European, Euromanx, VLM and Aer Aran couldn't squeeze enough milk out of it to make a strong coffee and soon moved on.

Extra capacity will arrive on the London routes in the autumn with the orange mob, so the demand for LCY will reduce further as the cheaper seats to LGW start to appear again.

I wonder how much financial incentive in the way of waived airport charges has been offered to by the Manx Government to BA and how long those incentives will last?.

Good luck to them. At least I can use my tesco clubcard points to get off this rock now !.

Edited by madmanxpilot

I'm amazed that BA think the route is commercially viable in the long term. British European, Euromanx, VLM and Aer Aran couldn't squeeze enough milk out of it to make a strong coffee and soon moved on.

Extra capacity will arrive on the London routes in the autumn with the orange mob, so the demand for LCY will reduce further as the cheaper seats to LGW start to appear again.

I wonder how much financial incentive in the way of waived airport charges has been offered to by the Manx Government to BA and how long those incentives will last?.

Good luck to them. At least I can use my tesco clubcard points to get off this rock now !.

Synergy - ability to book through tickets to anywhere else in the world? Shame about LHR though, but even so I can now book one ticket with BA via LCY and even having to take DLR to LHR and it's honoured.