Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
spermann

BA To Take Over London City Route?

You can book through tickets on BA.com already - Flybe have a codeshare with BA on the LGW route.

The following is a screenshot from BA.com.

MMP

post-23882-7921_thumb.jpg

Edited by madmanxpilot

You can book through tickets on BA.com already - Flybe have a codeshare with BA on the LGW route.

MMP

Interesting - what happens if one leg is delayed and you miss the connecting flight - automatic rebooking of just 'sod off'? I know I could try this myself...

It's a BA booking all on BA flight numbers, so if one leg is delayed causing you to miss the next you will automatically be rebooked. You won't be told to sod off.

MMP

Edited by madmanxpilot

It's a BA booking all on BA flight numbers, so if one leg is delayed causing you to miss the next you will automatically be rebooked. You won't be told to sod off.

MMP

Ah - well I never thought of booking like that. My delays have always been getting off the rock, I'll be using BA for the few trips I'll make this year, thereafter I doubt I'll fly anywhere. Boat, mobile home+dog...

It's all good for the people of the island. I don't subscribe to the 'We must not p*ss off Flybe' propaganda. Since when has a monopoly on getting off the island been such a great idea for the paying public?

It's all good for the people of the island. I don't subscribe to the 'We must not p*ss off Flybe' propaganda. Since when has a monopoly on getting on and off the island been such a great idea for the paying public?

It's all good for the people of the island. I don't subscribe to the 'We must not p*ss off Flybe' propaganda. Since when has a monopoly on getting on and off the island been such a great idea for the paying public?

But it's not just a case of getting off is it?

We also need to consider when we can get off. And where we get off to.

No point having one big plane a day with cheap seats if it means we need to overnight in an Hotel while we wait for a connection.

Not sure why anyone will be happy to see the back of flybe to be honest. I can see them ditching the island completely and then what are you left with?

2 main players doing 2 routes and a pile of cr4p routes being done by crashtastic and nearlybust airline. Sounds like the worst air link situation the island has ever had to me.

True. I heard that BA only came back as they signed a covenant with Flybe as part of selling the IoM citi express routes that they wouldn't compete for X number of years and now that has expired. Otherwise Manx2 could be running LCY.

LOL. I can imagine Willie Walsh marking off the days on his calendar to the longed for day when they could get back to the gold mine that is operating flights to the Isle of Man.

I wasn't suggesting they have been sat their biding their time for 5 years. Just that there is nothing to stop them doing it anymore. I assume it might tie in well with other BA business routes as I can't imagine the IOM-LCY route is profitable in it's own right.

BA subsidiary Cityflyer, the rump of Citiexpress, has a base at London City and I reckon it must be worth a punt from there for the niche business market. As I noted earlier, they have a good working relationship with FlyBe who they virtually dumped the Citiexpress network onto once they had picked out the bits they wanted to keep taking a 15% interest in FlyBe at the same time. As MMP pointed out they even have code sharing arrangements to LGW. With their lower cost operation FlyBe can make routes work that BA themselves never had a hope of turning around. They are not now going to start undermining FlyBe and their investment in it by going in for a price war with them to London or on any other route.

BA subsidiary Cityflyer, the rump of Citiexpress, has a base at London City and I reckon it must be worth a punt from there for the niche business market. As I noted earlier, they have a good working relationship with FlyBe who they virtually dumped the Citiexpress network onto once they had picked out the bits they wanted to keep taking a 15% interest in FlyBe at the same time. As MMP pointed out they even have code sharing arrangements to LGW. With their lower cost operation FlyBe can make routes work that BA themselves never had a hope of turning around. They are not now going to start undermining FlyBe and their investment in it by going in for a price war with them to London or on any other route.

Exactly. I don't envisage for one minute that this hasn't been approached without discussions at the highest levels between BA and Flybe, so I don't see the reason for the doom and gloom.

Edited by Lxxx

Woolley, how is Citiflyer and the old BA CitiExpress connected apart from both being BA franchisees now or in the past?

Just booked four LGW returns with Easyjet for £61 each in November - can't argue with that!

BA is only a glorified Manx 2 on a lot of routes. Eastern doing LCY and Titan doing other domestic routes.

I hardly think Eastern and Titan are comparable with some operators/aircraft M2 have used in the past.

Edited by ballaughbiker

Just booked four LGW returns with Easyjet for £61 each in November - can't argue with that!

BA is only a glorified Manx 2 on a lot of routes. Eastern doing LCY and Titan doing other domestic routes.

This will now open up Gatwick as an option for holidays further afield to many now, as before we had to stick to north-west airports to fly from due to costs getting on and off. All good.