Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
spermann

BA To Take Over London City Route?

You obviously never took advantage of the £59 return to LGW which was readilly available last year with Flybe.

You should also factor in that you are in effect wasting two days of any trip due to the relatively poor timings.

Anyway, I thought this thread was about BA and LCY not Easyjet

Woolley, how is Citiflyer and the old BA CitiExpress connected apart from both being BA franchisees now or in the past?

Yes. BA Connect was the final name, changed from BACX in 2006. Same outfit and a wholly owned subsidiary of BA rather than a franchise. BA Cityflyer is the part of that subsidiary mainly based around London City that BA retained when they disposed of the rest of BA Connect to FlyBe. BACX was formed, I think in 2000, by the purchase by BA of BRAL (incorporating Manx) and its integration with the already BA owned Brymon and BA's own regional operation. For a while after, a lot of the integration work was orchestrated by the super Manx team at Ronaldsway leading to complaints from other parts of BA Regional that Manx Airlines had taken THEM over. Then there was 9/11 and that was the start of the long death.

I've just twigged that this will allow me to spend some of the gazillions BA Exec Club miles (Avios) that I have hung-on to since the 'good old days'.

Looks like a good deal according to BA.COM - although for some reason only flights on Saturday show up - wonder why that is?

Micky

post-2335-0-51020200-1337039033_thumb.png

Mmmm - doesn't look like you can earn Avios or Tier Points on this route - even on a flexible ticket (which costs £531.81 - a new record surely!)

Micky

You obviously never took advantage of the £59 return to LGW which was readilly available last year with Flybe.

You should also factor in that you are in effect wasting two days of any trip due to the relatively poor timings.

Anyway, I thought this thread was about BA and LCY not Easyjet

No, the topic was about easyjet if you follow it through, it was changed with the news about BA.

The point we are trying to make is we now have options whereas this time a few weeks ago we only had one option to get to London, now there's three. Easyjet may work for some people, BA may work for others and some may stay with flybe, we each have our own drivers with some being cost and others being timing, but this now caters for more or less everyone which must be good for the island.

• Like 1

Mmmm - doesn't look like you can earn Avios or Tier Points on this route - even on a flexible ticket (which costs £531.81 - a new record surely!)

Micky

I'd noticed that too, it would be unusual for a BA flight not to earn Avios. After all, you earn Avios on the slightly short MAN-LHR hop. Is it BA policy or just a programming issue I wonder?

Yes. BA Connect was the final name, changed from BACX in 2006. Same outfit and a wholly owned subsidiary of BA rather than a franchise. BA Cityflyer is the part of that subsidiary mainly based around London City that BA retained when they disposed of the rest of BA Connect to FlyBe. BACX was formed, I think in 2000, by the purchase by BA of BRAL (incorporating Manx) and its integration with the already BA owned Brymon and BA's own regional operation. For a while after, a lot of the integration work was orchestrated by the super Manx team at Ronaldsway leading to complaints from other parts of BA Regional that Manx Airlines had taken THEM over. Then there was 9/11 and that was the start of the long death.

Correct, although not entirely sure about the last two sentences.BRAL and Citifyer were all originally run as BA franchisees with BRAL's management operating from Ronaldsway. I seem to remember 9/11 preceding the merger between BRAL and Bymon to become BACX by at least 6 months. I think.

Edited by ballaughbiker

The problem remans with all onward connections, that the early morning departures by budget or full price scheduled airlines all leave their UK hubs before any plane from IOM gets in so you either go in the after noon or evening (and arrive very late) or a day early (and stay overnight). Many easyJet and Ryanair flights onwards leave Liverpool or Gatwick too early in the late afetrnoon or early eveninmg to allow the IOM connection so you have long stop overs by going morning or mid day.

The planes we get from Liverpool or Gatwick via easyJet will have done a morning rotation first then is being used to cover IOM as a second rotation (instead of sitting on the tarmac) before a third rotation abroad in the evening

Correct, although not entirely sure about the last two sentences.

Well the penultimate sentence is fact. Perhaps the last one is arguable but it certainly changed the financial situation for airlines virtually overnight. In fact, if 9/11 had happened a year earlier it is almost certain that the BA takeover wouldn't have happened. That would have made life very interesting.

Fact? I suppose it's all down to perception woolley. I seem to recall that the takeover was actually managed by two fellas from BA one of which I think was called Alistair McLaren and t'otherTim de la Fosse. Alistair was real charmer...

Edited by ballaughbiker

Fact? I suppose it's all down to perception woolley. I seem to recall that the takeover was actually managed by two fellas from BA one of which I think was called Alistair McLaren. A real charmer...

I just know about the grumbles from ex-Brymon and ex-BA Regional staff about Viscount House telling them what to do! flowers.gif

Correct, although not entirely sure about the last two sentences.BRAL and Citifyer were all originally run as BA franchisees with BRAL's management operating from Ronaldsway. I seem to remember 9/11 preceding the merger between BRAL and Bymon to become BACX by at least 6 months. I think.

No. I'm pretty certain the news of the acquisition of BRAL by BA broke in December 2000 and the purchase was completed about three months later, well before 9/11. If you recall there was a kerfuffle about insurance after 9/11 that grounded the Manx Airlines liveried (Manx based) planes and at the time a big thing was made of how good it was that they could call on the wider resources of BACX to cover the problem. Back on topic, the current incarnation of BA Cityflyer seems to be a decent little operation.

I do remember the insurance problem which (if rumours at the time were true) could have threatened Manx due to the colossal leasing charges of 5 unusable aircraft. According to Wiki (yes not always reliable) BACX started 28/3/02.

Citiflyer have always been a decent operation with many of their former Shed and ATR pilots now flying for BA "mainline".

RE B B. This also from Wiki. In March 1991 Manx Airlines created Manx Airlines Europe in order to expand and fly routes within the United Kingdom.[6] In 1994 Manx Airlines Europe became a franchise carrier for British Airways, its fleet flying in the colours of British Airways. In September 1996 Manx Airlines Europe changed its name to British Regional Airlines. In March 2001 British Airways purchased the British Regional Airlines Group (holding company of British Regional Airlines and Manx Airlines) for £78m.[7] The airline was merged with Brymon Airways to create British Airways CitiExpress.

I can vouch that the March 2001 date is definitely correct.

The problem remans with all onward connections, that the early morning departures by budget or full price scheduled airlines all leave their UK hubs before any plane from IOM gets in so you either go in the after noon or evening (and arrive very late) or a day early (and stay overnight). Many easyJet and Ryanair flights onwards leave Liverpool or Gatwick too early in the late afetrnoon or early eveninmg to allow the IOM connection so you have long stop overs by going morning or mid day.

The planes we get from Liverpool or Gatwick via easyJet will have done a morning rotation first then is being used to cover IOM as a second rotation (instead of sitting on the tarmac) before a third rotation abroad in the evening

Easyjet are now adding early morning flights from the island to Liverpool now, apparently, from October.

• Like 1