Tap Water

turnip boy

Hi all new to all this but i just want to know why the islands tap water is like swimming pool water.

I come from the south of the uk and i have friends on the island and on my last visit i couldnt belive the taste of it when i had a cuppa.

Surely that aint good for you?

As you are from the south of the uk, you're taste buds are probably buggered from drinking the badly filtered sewerage you get down there.

As the southern uk is in drought and has very little water, i'm not supprised you can't remember what fresh water tastes like :D

• Like 1

I never used to notice it myself but over the last few years I'm sure the chlorine has been getting stronger. Maybe it's not so bad in other areas but in Laxey it's very strong. Running a bath actually smells like walking into a swimming pool.

Hi all new to all this but i just want to know why the islands tap water is like swimming pool water.

Yes, the water has become disgusting over the 15 years or so. That is when the stuff out of our taps started tasting like maiden's water.

You hardly used to see bottled water at all in the shops now there is stacks of the stuff. If I worked for the Water Authority I would be ashamed. Isle of Man tap water used to be wonderful stuff and I grew up drinking loads of it.

Not for nothing has the Water Authority changed its name:

post-4192-0-92561300-1334043859_thumb.png

the water in Peel definitely changed for the worst about 5 or 6 years ago - I never needed a filter and it was great to drink (especially after the recycled Thames Water in SE England ) - but they changed the feed due probably to the large housing estates built in Peel, during the change so much chlorine was added that it stank of the stuff and was totally undrinkable - it never recovered and I started to use a filter on my kettle so at least the coffee tastes of coffee and not chlorine - I suspect the chlorine levels have gone down somewhat but it still tastes and smells different than I remember from some years ago.

I come from the south of the uk and i have friends on the island and on my last visit i couldnt belive the taste of it when i had a cuppa.

Surely that aint good for you?

I know what you mean Turnip Boy! I drink pints of water when 'home', usually the first thing I do! It's the chlorine in it that I love. I only drink bottled water here and even that can't beat the old 'corporation pop' from home.

I bought a gallon container back once, Mmmmmmmm!

I love the taste of the tap water down the south of the island. My mrs lives just outside london atm and the water is horrid down there, it has acturally damaged her hair!! Never had that problem here, she had to have a filter fitted to the shower.

Thats because of the water hardness down there, makes your hair curlier!

Water still tastes the same at my house, however we do have lead pipes fitted. So the poison's probably neutralising all that chloriney goodness. They added more phosphates recently (most of the swimming pools on the Island developed algae problems which took a while to sort) which could explain further changes. A plumber was telling me that he changed a heating tank and there was loads of sludge at the bottom, he reported it and was told it was alright, it was just the phosphates.

Mind you, still tastes better than the tonne of fluoride in Newcastle!