Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
somewhatdamaged

Derek

What do you think of it? I actually thought it was quite a moving performance by Gervais

Not sure if you could make a series out of it though, and Pilkington suggested to me that he's always just been an act

The only thing I'd really like to see Gervais in, would be the ground.

Overrated, talentless, self publicist - not funny at all.

• Like 3

Just watched it on 4OD, Gervais always strikes me as a bit of a ham really. I like observational humour, but this ain't that. It may gather pace, but not one for my Sky+.

I thought it was pretty good. Some laugh out loud moments.

The best bit for me was when Derek knocked on the old lady's (who had died) door out of habit tand then realised what was the point. His facial expression was priceless.

I don't know what to make of it. Is it intended as a touching drama with funny bits, or is it a comedy. If it's the former it wasn't too bad, however, because Gervais has a cruel streak he has work to do to convince in that type of role. If it was the latter it wasn't a great success.

I haven't watched it yet, but The Office and Extras were both inspired. Life's Too Short seemed a bit too Office like to be original, it was just like a short David Brent, but I think he and Merchant are pretty successful at getting touching dramatic uuh, touches into their comedies. And those on here who dismiss their work out of hand really don't surprise me that and when they do.

I don't know what to make of it. Is it intended as a touching drama with funny bits, or is it a comedy. If it's the former it wasn't too bad, however, because Gervais has a cruel streak he has work to do to convince in that type of role. If it was the latter it wasn't a great success.

I think it's the former, I found it really quite moving. Derek is played absolutely as the good guy IMO, he's almost used a mirror to the rest of the world, and it's through Dave's goodness that you see how shit 'normal' people can be.