What The... Manx Radio Tt365

bishbashbosh

Surely Manx Radio is Radio TT 365 days anyway. It's only April and 40% of its website news front page is TT related. The event gets duller and duller year after year but these Government funded bozos are banging on about it months ahead of the event.

• Like 2

Seems a bit of a non-news story to me.

No info on how - AM or FM or just on line.

What the hell are they going to fill it with - Archive sounds of bikes inbetween even more ads?

If its AM only, whats the point - They shut the AM part down in the evenings to save money - so it cannot be called a 365 service can it?

If its AM - they need to turn the wick up a bit - you can just about hear the station in Liverpool so its hardly an advertisers dream.

If its FM - I'll go elsewhere for drowning out music at work. I wont want to listen to archive TT stuff every day.

Is it just going to rock and AC/DC tracks all the time - with that twerp Binlid trying to appeal to bikers instead of bored housewives?

Where is the money coming from to do yet another re-brand/re-launch?

If its on line, they can hardly keep studio output running without breaks in trasnmission and crashing 'songs' with ads and jingles ... I don't think they should be let loose on an internet as well.

edit - from the Youboob link -

'We're proud to announce the 'Best Biking Station in the World' will be broadcasting all year round. That's right -- this year there's no off switch!'

no off switch - oh yes there bloody well is!

Edited by x-in-man
  • Like 1

Current technology will dramatically cut the running costs except for the AM tx which will always be heavy on power. If it is mainly online the costs should be minimal as they already have the infrastructure in place. Radio is changing rapidly with many more listening online. Also online listening is easy to track in terms of verifying listenership (thus the ability to sell advertising to a definite target audience to multi nationals such as Honda etc) and, given MR / RadioTT having a solid base worldwide with it's current set up, it makes sense IMO to give it a shot. As I said on my other post, it could actually produce revenue to lessen the subsidy currently required! If it doesn't, the costs won't/shouldn't be big and it could be a good booster for the island in general.

There's a rugby TV channel in NZ whihc is popular with eggchasers, why not have something here for the petrolheads? Especially if as Sean reckons, operating costs are low. It could bring in new streams of advertising revenue.

There's a rugby TV channel in NZ whihc is popular with eggchasers, why not have something here for the petrolheads? Especially if as Sean reckons, operating costs are low. It could bring in new streams of advertising revenue.

That's a TV channel. Listening to bikes set of at intervals on a 37mile circuit on the radio only has limited appeal, round the clock. It would be interesting to see what average audience figures are projected to advertisers before they sign-up for a campaign. What other programmes will there be? How much will they cost to produce? Or is it just archive?

Oh well, hope I'm proved wrong and it pays. Good luck to them.

How many adverts on the real Radio TT during TT fortnight were from the private sector? I seem to recall that most of them were government ads - the one about livestock on the loose mainly.

If this is a net thing aimed at TT fans around the world, what's the point of Manx Radio's regular advertisers bothering to advertise? Shoprite, Barry Curran Motors, Ramsey Bakery etc aren't going to do much business with anyone outside the island.

So are they going to get enough money from the bike manufacturers? Doubt it. They hardly bother advertising on MR (if at all) when the island is full of bikers during TT fortnight.

It's a total vanity project. MR hasn't said how it'll make money. It should.

• Like 1

Another daft idea and I wonder who came up with this one ? I'd give it a year before it's pulled. You wouldn't be able to listen to it anyway unless you're online because the AM reception on the Island is appalling. I've said it for years but one of the ways to rescue Manx Radio has always been to make it a quality radio station, and an all-year round weekly three hour T.T. evening show on FM, with a decent and knowledgeable presenter would have been pulling in the listeners for years and the best tourist advertising money could buy. This nonsense will just be dumbed down wall to wall 'adult-rock' (the usual same old shite in other words), a kid presenter, and a permanent tape loop of old T.T.s. I'd forget the whole thing and just get someone like Peter Duke, Charlie Williams, Roy Moore etc and a good anchor man to do a mid-week show on FM. We've never properly commercially exploited the history and nostalgia side of the T.T, despite it being what many fans want, and Geoff Corkish rolling his tongue on Manx Radio this morning, with six weeks to go, was dispiriting to say the least.

• Like 1