What The... Manx Radio Tt365

bishbashbosh

Even though I like the idea of TT365, the truth is that if there were people listening and therefore people wanting to advertise, these 'old' ads would be pulled in a heartbeat. The odd 'nostalgic' ad is fine, but it's fairly obvious that this is not a big revenue generator. Does it pay for itself? Maybe. It's such a cheap operation that it's hard to believe it can't cover its costs. But long term prospects are surely stronger after TT week than through the rest of the year and so anyone wanting to pay real money to advertise on this station around this time of the year is clearly mad. Especially when rivals are getting it all given for free because nobody can afford to edit out the old stuff.

In summary, it's a dead donkey because it maybe SHOULD have had some investment.

Censorship's head will explode with suggestions that MR should ever spend a penny without him scrutinising the business plan, health and safety certificate, risk assessment and mission statement.

• Like 1

In a completely parallel universe, where everything is equal, apart from the launch of Manx Radio TT365, there's a 22 page thread on Parallel-Manx Forums about how absolutely awful it is that Manx Radio have an entire database of old TT races, and are doing absolutely nothing to exploit them.

I mean, honestly, it is an ABSOLUTE disgrace. We paid for all this TT coverage, it's of genuine interest to a great deal of motorbike fans, and we all know that in the modern day, it costs nothing to play it all on a fairly repetitive basis, and increase the interest in the TT. I mean, surely, that what the national radio station should be doing, right? Promoting what is perhaps the islands greatest export? How dare they not do it? It's a disgrace. Remove the license.

Sure, sometimes, it'll be broadcasting to a very minimal number of people, but since it probably takes one guy a couple of minutes a day to cue up a big bunch of repeats, I'm personally disgusted that they don't take the effort to do it.

And some local businesses, who paid good money to advertise to thousands in the original broadcast might get some valuable extra custom. Surely Manx Radio should be supporting these local businesses that help to pay the bills.

I'm sure a great number of the regular contributors to Manx Forums will be thoroughly disgusted in joining me in agreeing that it is an absolute disgrace that Manx Radio have never even bothered to try Manx Radio TT.

Anyway, back to the real world...

They should at least publish some figures so we can see how much of a success it is. If I were wanting to advertise on a website or radio station I would need some traffic stats and as a taxpayer and tv license payer as this is being run with my money I want to see that it is not another white elephant.

inspired1980 you are being childish and a bit thick.

It is the way that Manx Radio TT365 is being rolled out. Yes, the TT recordings are an asset, a national asset, we all seem to agree that, but it seems little thought has been put into the use of the recordings.

A grand opportunity missed.

inspired1980 you are being childish and a bit thick.

It is the way that Manx Radio TT365 is being rolled out. Yes, the TT recordings are an asset, a national asset, we all seem to agree that, but it seems little thought has been put into the use of the recordings.

A grand opportunity missed.

So share the Grand Plan? How would you monetise the asset and generate a return?

Censorship's head will explode with suggestions that MR should ever spend a penny without him scrutinising the business plan, health and safety certificate, risk assessment and mission statement.

Don't be childish. I have no problem with public money being invested, but I think a business plan should exist. Doesn't even have to made public, as long as it exists and has been subjected to some form of scrutiny. That didn't happen in this case.

There may be a very good revenue source out there for this concept, which could be tapped with sufficient investment. No problem with that if someone, somewhere has done some research and has a plan, identifying where the money will come from, what the audience is, what the future could hold.

That didn't happen in this case.

This was a case of saying "the TT's popular, let's see if we can make some money off it. Don't worry about working out too much in advance, if it screws up we don't have to foot the bill or be held accountable for it'.

That's what I don't like.

Stu, your loyalty, blind as it may be in this case (you're not a paticular TT fan), is impressive but you are not onto a winner with this. Not nice to see you laying your name on the line for a venture that has clearly not been thought through as professionally as it should have.

Can anyone please tell me who are the people behind Radio TT365?

Edited by carbon selector
  • Like 1

How the hell do YOU know what research and thought has or hasn't gone into this?

Well, the rushed nature of the launch, the lack of public information, the lack of government oversight, the low quality of the website, the low voume of advertisers, the lack of content, especially 'live' content, the lack of 'success' reports, and the criticism, which led to the MR boss having to take to the airwaves in the initial days to defend the concept, all indicate, even to an amateur like me, that this wasn't a well-planned operation.

Also, unlike some in MR, I don't live in an ivory tower. I talk to people, including current and former MR staff, current and former Energy/3FM staff, civil servants within departments such as DED, MLCs with an interest, MHKs who are being pressured to take an interest, and local firms which have an involvement in the TT. I have yet to hear a positive word about 365 from any one them, and have been surprised by the damage this has done to MR's reputation with some people.

How the hell do YOU know what research and thought has or hasn't gone into this?

Well, the rushed nature of the launch, the lack of public information, the lack of government oversight, the low quality of the website, the low voume of advertisers, the lack of content, especially 'live' content, the lack of 'success' reports, and the criticism, which led to the MR boss having to take to the airwaves in the initial days to defend the concept, all indicate, even to an amateur like me, that this wasn't a well-planned operation.

Also, unlike some in MR, I don't live in an ivory tower. I talk to people, including current and former MR staff, current and former Energy/3FM staff, civil servants within departments such as DED, MLCs with an interest, MHKs who are being pressured to take an interest, and local firms which have an involvement in the TT. I have yet to hear a positive word about 365 from any one them, and have been surprised by the damage this has done to MR's reputation with some people.

Yeah... okay. But apart from that......

• Like 2

Stu, your loyalty, blind as it may be in this case (you're not a paticular TT fan), is impressive but you are not onto a winner with this. Not nice to see you laying your name on the line for a venture that has clearly not been thought through as professionally as it should have.

Can anyone please tell me who are the people behind Radio TT365?

Thanks CS, but it's not just blind loyalty for the sake of it - it's more that the meddling risk aversion of people like Censorship would stop anyone ever doing anything if allowed unchallenged. And it seems his entire case is made of hearsay and supposition. I truly believe that people should give things time to work out or not, before shooting them down in flames. There's also commercial confidentiality to consider - not everything should be in the public domain pre-launch. I've had doubts about the new online TV services sprouting up, one of which could end up taking far more out of the public purse than this project...but I'll not comment further until I'm in full possession of the facts, as it could be a cracking idea and do well.

As far as I can see this has been well received by the motorcycling fraternity, not heard any complaints? It only seems that it is winding up people who aren't even interested in the content of RadioTT365.

Uuh, why wouldn't it be well received? The nerds get to hear a load of old race footage that they know the results of any way for free. And a part of the fraternity get their products re-advertised to aforementioned nerds. For free. And if it fails to make any money, (which is highly likely what with it all being for free and that) all paid for by the Manx taxpayer. Result.

• Like 2